• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I bought the PT 840 a few weeks ago. For several reasons, I am on the fence about trading this gun off. I decided to half heartedly advertise my interest in a possible trade and I recieved an offer to trade even for a od green sa xd 9mm (4 inch barrel) this gun has less than 300 rounds through it, all items that come with gun are present plus a few extra things including another holster. What do you guys think?
    picture.php

mine
    picture.php

his.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'd be making out like a bandit on that trade.

I'd take it and not ever look back.

Even though I'm not an XD "fanboy", it's thrice the gun your Taurus is.

Trade it!!!!!!!!!!!!

-J-

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    We have plans to meet at the range so he can shoot the PT, and I the xd. I assume a trade will take place at that time. The only thing that bums me is that I like having a 40 cal. I don't really want to trade down on caliber.
    Also, I have a question: Lets say this guy is really trying to trade off the gun because it has either been stolen, or used in a crime. Would I be out a gun if it ever came to light (law enforcement)? Is there an expedient way to "gunfax" the gun to get information about it? Joshua

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    You'd be making out like a bandit on that trade.

I'd take it and not ever look back.

Even though I'm not an XD "fanboy", it's thrice the gun your Taurus is.

Trade it!!!!!!!!!!!!

-J-

Repping you for having the guts to use the word "thrice" on a gun forum.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Sounds like he is just setting you up for negotiation. Nothing wrong with it but if a trade almost seems too good to be true once it comes down to the final negotiations that person may ask for cash on top of the trade due to the price difference.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I will only do an even trade. Though SA makes better guns (I have a RO and love it), I am not desperate to trade it away, nor do I really want to get rid of a 40 cal. I am on the fence about even trading it. I was hoping that confiding in my fellow INGO'ers would help to make this a little easier. Given from the responses I have already gotten if the gun is clean and in good condition and he is willing to trade evenly then I will most likely do it. Joshua

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't get so hung up on the .40S&W being all that much "better" than 9x19.

With newer cartridge design / bullet technology, you're not really giving anything up with a 9mm over a .40S&W.

When it comes down to it, all handgun cartridges are downright puny.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Assuming you shoot it & it functions and you like the feel, I'd make the even trade. I don't have a particular opinion on the XD either way, and I do and have owned Taurus pistols, but for the difference in value here, etc I'd make the trade. I would not worry about the caliber difference unless you are somehow heavily invested in the .40. I'm kind of doubting if it was a stolen gun that he'd be offering it as a trade like this. More likely he'd dump it on someone for some cash.

Did he say he was the first owner? Is there a specific reason you are not comfortable with the trade? (both from the angle of the reluctance to trade your gun as well as the concerns about whether the XD was stolen, etc?)

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Do. It. Now. Before. Someone. Else. Does.

The margin between performance of the 9x19mm and .40S&W is rapidly shrinking with improved bullet technology. But for every inche the 9mm encroaches into .40S&W territory, the .40 also gains in it's own advantage. Moral of the story? Carry what you shoot the best. Misses don't count no matter what caliber you shoot.

But seriously. This is a sweet deal.

~LT

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We have plans to meet at the range so he can shoot the PT, and I the xd. I assume a trade will take place at that time. The only thing that bums me is that I like having a 40 cal. I don't really want to trade down on caliber.
    Also, I have a question: Lets say this guy is really trying to trade off the gun because it has either been stolen, or used in a crime. Would I be out a gun if it ever came to light (law enforcement)? Is there an expedient way to "gunfax" the gun to get information about it? Joshua

If you believe the person is a bit shady, then don't do the deal. Although this will not totally protect you, have him sign a bill of sale and record his DL information or pay the fee and complete the trade trough a FFL. I am not aware of any way for you to run the serial number to determine if the gun is free from criminal activity, yourself.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    The concern for me about the caliber is not related to performance. I have a G19 and it's one of my favorites. I prefer the 9mm cartridge over any of the common calibers. I like variety in my gun collection, and that is why I bought the PT 840 in the first place. It's just that this purchase has been more hassle than it's worth and I hate to think that it would continue to be a hassle. I have already had to utilize the warranty for a bum magazine that came with the gun. The sights were slightly off, the trigger pull is so-so, and the gun was so dirty and "used" looking that it really left me feeling jilted. I did my homework on this purchase. It appears that not everyone has a ****ty experience with Taurus. Apparently I was not so lucky. If this guy was trading an xd 40 I'd be all over this deal. Joshua

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The concern for me about the caliber is not related to performance. I have a G19 and it's one of my favorites. I prefer the 9mm cartridge over any of the common calibers. I like variety in my gun collection, and that is why I bought the PT 840 in the first place. It's just that this purchase has been more hassle than it's worth and I hate to think that it would continue to be a hassle. I have already had to utilize the warranty for a bum magazine that came with the gun. The sights were slightly off, the trigger pull is so-so, and the gun was so dirty and "used" looking that it really left me feeling jilted. I did my homework on this purchase. It appears that not everyone has a ****ty experience with Taurus. Apparently I was not so lucky. If this guy was trading an xd 40 I'd be all over this deal. Joshua

Get out of the PT840 if at all possible and get another .40 when you can. You will have better opportunity to trade the XD down the road for another .40, as opposed to the PT.

Top Bottom