• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    We went in mid July. It was right at 100 degrees. We were coverd in sweat just watching. We also saw a guy that had to be politely but forcibly removed for using his cell phone and not taking a hint or several hundred peopl staring at him.

I give these men and women and everyone in the military the utmost respect. I wish I could thank everyone of them. I often ask myself if I could put myself in thier positons. I would like to say yes but I really don't know. I know I could and would defend my direct family and loved one but being overseas in a country where they don't really want you there it has to be very hard to remeber what you are there for.

Thanks to all the men and women that serve and have served.:patriot:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I spent all this summer in D.C. I made it to the tomb twice, including over memorial day weekend. It's something you never really get used to seeing.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have been to the Tomb of the Unknowns several times.

I sometimes awake in the middle of the night, hear the rain pound the windows and the wind howl, and think of the Old Guard standing guard in the elements while I am safe in my warm bed.

They walk hallowed ground.

:patriot:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've been to the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier only one time, when I was in eighth grade. It was very humbling and the soldiers' dedication to something other than themselves blew me out of the water.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    A former member of the Old Guard was in my cadet battalion at Fort Lewis. As others have said, he was the very model of a soldier, and a good friend. IIRC, he mentioned that there is a bulding nearby that the guards can move into if the weather ever became completely impossible (hurricane, tornado, etc.). I don't recall if they ever had to use it, and I haven't heard if they needed to during Sandy.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    For people who've never been, I highly recommend a visit if you're anywhere near DC/Arlington.

There are some youtube videos of the guards actually yelling at visitors for talking during the changing of the guard ceremony and for walking right up on the tomb where the guard stands guard. There are even signs all around to be quiet and reverent, as if anyone should need them. Makes you wonder if some people were raised by wolves, it really does.

I visited with my son (who was 14 at the time), and before we got out of the car I reminded him that Arlington is a cemetery, and to keep his voice down.

When we went to the Tomb, he didn't say much, but when he did, he whispered questions about the soldiers and the monument. It was a proud moment for me, of his behavior, and that we could share a moment with these fine soldiers. They truly are remarkable.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have been there once. It was Dec. 2001, 2 months after 9/11. We could see the side of the Pentagon that was hit and it was all blackened and boarded up. I asked the Sgt., after the changing of the guards, what the guard on duty did when he saw a plane fly into the epicenter of our national security and military. He simply stated "He Marched". I still get goosebumps when I talk about that or say it. They are the model of Pride and Honor.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    The soldiers that have that duty are volunteers that also have to have exemplary careers . Harder to get that duty than just about any other. Very disciplined , and to be admired.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I went there when I was in middle school. We got to witness the changing of the Guard. The Guards live underground. All they do is study, practice, and prep their uniforms. When not on Guard.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I think the person actually standing out there in a hurricane should get the credit, not some of his buddies who got caught out in a storm months ago. If you think others should get the credit for this young mans elan then go for it. I prefer credit where it's due.

They ALL deserve the credit. I have not yet had the honor of attending the changing of the guard, but I have seen a couple of documentaries on The Old Guard, and even in the worst conditions, when they are advised that they are not required to stand their post due to life threatening conditions, to a man, these soldiers refuse to leave their post. Don't remember if it was mentioned that any had taken relief from their duty (or been physically blown off their mark), but I know if I had the duty I wouldn't want to be one to leave that post. For anything.

They ALL deserve the credit, because none would willingly abandon their post.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I went there when I was in middle school. We got to witness the changing of the Guard. The Guards live underground. All they do is study, practice, and prep their uniforms. When not on Guard.

If you read the link on the quote below, from their page, this isn't quite right. Although, they do spend around 8 hours on their uniform, there are more then a couple that live off post with loved ones, or in the barracks just up the road.
    Read through the questions and answers here, it answers a lot: https://tombguard.org/society/faq/

Thanks for sharing the page Perry

Top Bottom