https://www.instructables.com/id/Outhouse/

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for that and to everyone else!

I just realized that when the toilet was almost overflowing (several times and for extended periods), contaminated water and nasty stuff could easily have entered the holes under the rim since the water level was well above them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for that and to everyone else!

I just realized that when the toilet was almost overflowing (several times and for extended periods), contaminated water and nasty stuff could easily have entered the holes under the rim since the water level was well above them.

That's what I was gettin' at.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Why not?

If I forced it back through the inlet/fill hole at the bottom of the bowl and there is a physical path between there and the fill holes under the rim, I don't see how it could be ruled out. I was definitely applying enough pressure to push water upward a few inches.

Sure, you push the water *level* up a few inches. However, the maximum pressure you could apply to the fill holes (assuming they are just beneath the rim, right?) is the height difference between the holes and the spill over of the bowl. This is just a few inches of water.

And it is not enough pressure to push water back up the holes and into the tank.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sure, you push the water *level* up a few inches. However, the maximum pressure you could apply to the fill holes (assuming they are just beneath the rim, right?) is the height difference between the holes and the spill over of the bowl. This is just a few inches of water.

And it is not enough pressure to push water back up the holes and into the tank.

Nowhere did I state or imply that I thought it made it to the tank. In fact, I've stated that the tank is clean. Perhaps I misunderstood the point you were trying to make. If you suggested that I could not have pumped water back into the tank, I agree and would not have questioned that.

The immediate source of the contamination is somewhere under the rim, not the tank. I could have pumped crud into the channels that feed water from the tank from the holes under the rim. However, I think it's more likely that the dirty water entered when the water level was above the rim.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I read most of posts on this thread and didn’t see this as a possibility....
    flush twice it’s uphill to Rhinos house;)
    hopefully you’ve got it figured out!

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Maybe some food coloring in the tank so you can see if it shows sections around the rim that are blocked when flushing? That way you know where to concentrate cleaning efforts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    UPDATES & PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION

Since we last visited this topic, I can report that the problem resolved over time using some of the advice offered by all of you (the Dawn liquid in the tank really helped). Unfortunately, the same thing happened again a few months ago! This time I actually observed the "dirty" water and particulate flowing out of the clean water fill channels under the rim in conjunction with my plunging. There is now no doubt that 1) it was fecal matter contamination, and 2) the source was the dirty water being forced backward through the primary inflow at the bottom of the bowl (opposite the drain hole). When the drain is completely blocked, plunging the water took the only path it could: backflowing through the inlet at the bottom of the bowl, to the under rim fill channels, and out of the holes under the rim. Nasty business!

So once again it took a maddening amount of plunging to get the clog removed. I was a few plunges away from deploying the toilet auger (I hate using that thing, but I should have used it right away) when it finally moved. Unfortunately, the damage was done and this time it took at least two more weeks for the water to run clear and the smell to abate! ZOINKS!

Here's where the good news starts. While scanning Amazon for potential replacements for my plunger, I found something called a "toilet shroom." It's essentially a cone-shaped squeegee made of relatively stiff rubbery material on the end of a handle. The idea is to use it to physically push a clog past its sticking point, rather than push on the water and hope that the water pressure can move the clog. I've used it twice now (most recently yesterday) and I'm happy to report that clogs that would have required a minimum of half an hour of plunging were resolved in 3 and 2 pushes, respectively. In addition, there was zero splashing, almost no mess, no smell, and no contamination of the clean water delivery under the rim. Win-win-win.

I highly recommend this device to anyone who may have an occasional toilet clog. It can also be used as a squeegee when cleaning the bowl if you choose!

https://www.amazon.com/ToiletShroom...?keywords=toilet+shroom&qid=1572981513&sr=8-4

71%2Bd92FV1GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've plunged maybe 2x in my life.
    Close the lid, turn on the fan, and walk away. Let things sit and dissolve (paper as well as other stuff). Often if you come back some time later the water will be gone as it absorbs/siphons out. You can flush again to see if it drains and if the bowl fills again instead, walk away again for a while longer. Soon it will all flush out. Plunging can do damage and cause other messes, as you are finding out. consider a courtesy flush mid "activity", especially if it seems a lot of paper will be required....

fun topic! LOL

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've plunged maybe 2x in my life.
    Close the lid, turn on the fan, and walk away. Let things sit and dissolve (paper as well as other stuff). Often if you come back some time later the water will be gone as it absorbs/siphons out. You can flush again to see if it drains and if the bowl fills again instead, walk away again for a while longer. Soon it will all flush out. Plunging can do damage and cause other messes, as you are finding out. consider a courtesy flush mid "activity", especially if it seems a lot of paper will be required....

fun topic! LOL

-rvb

Oh, an amateur!

The waiting only works for mild problems, which ultimately are not really problems if they self-resolve given a day or so. Then you step it up to adding boiling water. Hot water can make help if it's use in sufficient quantitie. Plunging or some other active method of mechanically moving the clog is necessary for serious obstructions.

Top Bottom