• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    A prepper's mindset. in normal times, is asking yourself the question "If this is all I could have and would never get more, would it be what and as much as I'd need?".
    The frenzied toilet paper and food buying is just the sheeples' clumsy way of attempting to catch up with the prepper mindset.
    Preppers were right. Now others wish they had been a prepper.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A normal prepper has 6-12 months of TP on hand all the time. More importantly than that, also a plan for how to handle it when there is no TP at all.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A normal prepper has 6-12 months of TP on hand all the time. More importantly than that, also a plan for how to handle it when there is no TP at all.

I'm beginning to think that "normal preppers" live in much larger houses than I do. Heck, I'm running out of room for guns and ammo, let alone TP.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Who was "TP Hoarder Zero"? Someone was the first to roll up to checkout with a cart full of TP and somebody else saw that and said, "I gotta get me some TP!!" And that was all it took.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Who was "TP Hoarder Zero"? Someone was the first to roll up to checkout with a cart full of TP and somebody else saw that and said, "I gotta get me some TP!!" And that was all it took.

I can't remember where I saw it, but some dumba** put a tweet out a few weeks back saying we'd be out of X, Y, and Z important things "and toilet paper".

That was the patient zero for the great TP pandemic of 2020 as far as I can tell. Like everyone else on here, I've been to the store before bad weather is forecast, and even after it had destroyed people's houses and knocked out power for thousands for weeks on end, and there was never a TP shortage in the stores no matter how picked over the food was.

Twitter did this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm sure we could get into arguments over cheap TP vs high end and the space they take up. Another argument could be how many sheets of either it takes to actually be clean?

It's a more expensive way to go for sure, but wipes store much more efficiently than rolls of TP. They are also a step above in cleaning for the amount used and cleaning overall.

I learned this from my grandkids.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My mom (in her early 70s) has been home sick.
    Regular sick, not Wuhan sick.
    She went to the supermarket and was surprised.

I told her next time, she should have one of her armed sons go with, which is all but one.
    Dad unfortunately doesn't have a LTCH. And he's not youngster either.

I told her, it's just a precaution, cause people are acting "funny".

She picked up some TP because there are 4 living in the house, and it was there normal time to get TP.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My mom (in her early 70s) has been home sick.
    Regular sick, not Wuhan sick.
    She went to the supermarket and was surprised.

I told her next time, she should have one of her armed sons go with, which is all but one.
    Dad unfortunately doesn't have a LTCH. And he's not youngster either.

I told her, it's just a precaution, cause people are acting "funny".

She picked up some TP because there are 4 living in the house, and it was there normal time to get TP.

I have a similar story... My parents are in their 70s (Dad approaching 80) and my Mom sent me an email telling me about how insane the shopping was and how they couldn't get what they wanted and went to 5 stores and on and on... Then asked if I was OK and all of that.

I had to tell her that the next time they needed stuff to just drive the 1.5 hours to me and go shopping at my house. I have everything they went looking for, including TP, in surplus quantities on a daily basis... and my prices will not be beat!

I kinda wonder how many other family members I have that are out in the insanity that I might be able to help out, but... they didn't ask nor offer.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I saw rumors online that China TP plants were either shutting down entirely due to virus impact on workforce, or diverting their production to paper face masks and respirator filters . . . and there would be a worldwide shortage very quickly as China would only make enough for domestic consumption. Leave it to social media morons to create such rumors and others to believe them. Look at your TP package. Nearly all TP is made in the USA. Why? It's cheaper than the production cost in China plus the shipping cost on a container ship across the Pacific. TP is a very bulky item for its weight and the shipping cost is based on the volume it consumes, not its weight. I've got enough to ride out the hoarding pandemonium. The shortage tends to fuel itself with consumers as they'll buy up large quantities if it does appear out of fear it won't appear again for a long time.

Just as the run on it begins, there are scalpers who will sweep stores completely of all their stock, and stash it in storage units to sell it for outrageous prices on ePrey, Craig's List and as 3rd Parties on Amazon. These scalpers then operate, some using automated bots, to continue buying any that appears online on Amazon, Walmart, Target, Sam's Club, etc. as soon as it appears. These bots were created to snatch up video game consoles such as the Wii and XBox. Easily adapted to anything. A mere mortal human cannot compete with the speed of these bots attempting to put some in an online shopping cart and pay for it before stock goes to zero. It's in the interest of the scalpers to maintain the shortage and to that end they work cooperatively for their collective benefit. There are dark web forums dedicated to sharing their bot technologies and tips on how to do it.

The mainstream media aren't covering the organized scalping much, only the hoarding. The problem, though, is twofold.

John

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Office supply or janitorial supply places are the places to go for TP. Maybe Gordon's also... haven't been there yet. I just happened to order 96 rolls from Amazon about a month ago before anyone knew there would be a shortage. Ordered 24 boxes of kleenex also. We like the cube shaped boxes.. smaller footprint on desks, nightstands, etc.

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    A little planning advice.

Look before you [STRIKE]jump[/STRIKE] dump.

When you go into a public restroom stall look for TP before you drop your pants. With the panic hoarding people may start stealing rolls of TP from the stalls.

That's why I ALWAYS carry several McDonalds napkins in my shirt pocket. Not only are they good snot rags (my nose runs all the time if the temp is below 65*) I went to an IDPA match, but found the portolet was out of TP. I used my McD's. I mentioned it to the match director and he said that they are OUT !
    Now, this was last summer.
    Be prepared ! It's only going to get WORSE.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The future is here!

[video=youtube;x5kMdEh1v0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5kMdEh1v0I&feature=emb_title[/video]

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Rumors rumors rumors... My mother told me that she heard all the TP was made in China. False...

People on the book of faces have also been saying that we're all going to be quarintined under martial law the next two weeks.

All of the EVERYTHING is gone except for chips and fresh fruit and vegetables. Hell, people even bought all of the fish.

People who have probably never eaten more than half a dozen eggs in a week are buying 3 dozen at a time.

My prediction is that most of what has been bought in the past 2 or 3 weeks is going to end up in a land fill.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Rumors rumors rumors... My mother told me that she heard all the TP was made in China. False...

People on the book of faces have also been saying that we're all going to be quarintined under martial law the next two weeks.

All of the EVERYTHING is gone except for chips and fresh fruit and vegetables. Hell, people even bought all of the fish.

People who have probably never eaten more than half a dozen eggs in a week are buying 3 dozen at a time.

My prediction is that most of what has been bought in the past 2 or 3 weeks is going to end up in a land fill.

I venture to bet you are right about how much horded food will be wasted. I also venture to bet that many of the panic food buyers really couldn't afford to buy as much as they have.
    Hopefully they are well stocjed and will keep their butts out of the stores for a couple weeks. Some of us need to pick up a few things to restock our supplies. If this craze of hoarding continues my neighbors chickens mabe in danger...and maybe a wild rabbit or squirrel as well.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Watched a news vid of a grocery store in Australia where a customer had attempted to return 150 of the big 30 or 40 roll packs of TP. The store owner literally gave the guy the finger and told him to suck it!:rockwoot: He said most of the grocers in his state (or whatever they call them in 'Roo land) had gotten together and agreed to this strategy, even the big national and international chains.:patriot: Apparently the opportunist even offered to sell the TP back at a 30% loss with the same response from the store.:yesway:

Top Bottom