• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    That thing is awesome. Was it cut from a solid piece or was the handle welded to the head?
    That is from one solid piece of D2 tool steel!:rockwoot:This is a pic of win I started, that grinder and a few files is how I made it.
    8cec5962.jpg

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Cool. The reason I asked is because its a lot more expensive to get a good piece of steel if its that wide. If the head was welded on, I could use a piece that was only 3 inches wide or so. But I wouldn't want the weld to be visible even though the weld is stronger than the parent metal if done properly.

I'm keeping my eyes open for some good steel that I can get cheap. Market prices for the good stuff can be higher than just buying one already made.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I created this thread to ask questions, so here's another one.

What kinds of things are commonly done to customize wooden handles? I've seen some that appear to have rings or other patterns burned into them. I've also seen grooves carved into them for grip.

It would seem to me that the grooves could possibly interfere with the ability to throw. I considered bending some stiff wire into the shape of my initials and heating it to make a brand that I can re-use if the handle gets broken.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I don't like a wrapped handle to throw! That's just me though, I suspect there are a few people that do like it!

Handle decoration is all up to you, branding sounds like a cool idea!:yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Handle decoration is all up to you, branding sounds like a cool idea!:yesway:

Decorations all go on the steel or better yet, not. Some come with different holes cut in to them. It's suppose to make it whistle when you throw them.

I call them lawyer holes. They make noise but are basicly useless.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Decorations all go on the steel or better yet, not. Some come with different holes cut in to them. It's suppose to make it whistle when you throw them.

I call them lawyer holes. They make noise but are basicly useless.
    Thats funny stuff right there, lawyer holes!:laugh:

It doesnt take long to mess up a pretty handle does it Jack.:n00b:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    While we are talking about handles, I'd like to hear some opinions about different materials. Is there a reason other than tradition for not using a fiberglass or nylon handle?

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Wood handles are cheap and easy to fit. I think that is why they are so popular. Synthetic handles are getting used more and more now. Just a time lag thing.

Top Bottom