• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    So are the synthetic handles less likely to break from throwing? I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if it actually more durable.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Throwing targets

A buddy of mine says he has some logs that are 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter that he can cut some slices from for me to use as targets. I asked him to cut them at least 8 inches thick. I thought I could construct a simple 2x4 tripod to mount them on for throwing. I figured you guys that throw a lot could tell me if you think this will work. I just looking for something I could set up in the yard to mess around with and be able to throw it in the shed when I'm not using it. My main concerns are if this is big enough and if will be too easy to knock over.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    A buddy of mine says he has some logs that are 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter that he can cut some slices from for me to use as targets. I asked him to cut them at least 8 inches thick. I thought I could construct a simple 2x4 tripod to mount them on for throwing. I figured you guys that throw a lot could tell me if you think this will work. I just looking for something I could set up in the yard to mess around with and be able to throw it in the shed when I'm not using it. My main concerns are if this is big enough and if will be too easy to knock over.
    A 2x4 tripod should hold something that size just fine. I would brace the arms that will hold the slab real well.:yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    While we are talking about handles, I'd like to hear some opinions about different materials. Is there a reason other than tradition for not using a fiberglass or nylon handle?

Blasphemy, curses, hex, the evil eye, disease, it looks gay, and saplings that size are free.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So are the synthetic handles less likely to break from throwing? I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if it actually more durable.

The whole point to a tomahawk is so the handles don't get torn up throwing them. A hatchet is NOT a tomahawk. If you throw a tomahawk and it hits on the handle the metal blade will just fly down the handle instead of busting up the wood.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I've had about every kind of target to throw at there is. The absolute best one I've had is the one I'm using now.

If you cut firewood or know some one who does just save a piece of trunk cut to firewood length and don't split it. Drive a railroad spike in to it where you want the top to be and tie a rope to it. That and a limb or something to throw the rope over is all you need now. Easy to move around the yard, provided you've got trees, none of your trees or landscaping get's torn up and you can throw it all in the trunk of the car and take it with you any where you want to throw. Easy to move up or down for yourself or children to throw at and easy to replace.

17547a_Tomahawks_2027.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Cool! I should be able to put my hands on two T34-sharpened hawks, sometime tomorrow!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    V8 and I were discussing how the handles seem a bit long. I'm thinking I might take about 4" off of it, but I'm not gonna get in a hurry about it.

Top Bottom