• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    well i believe I have learned what the difference is in a $300 gun and a $600 gun.. not that I am unhappy, because I am very happy with the gun.. its just now I know. trigger isnt as bad as some people who have commented on it make it out to be. Joshua
    picture.php

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've owned several over the years and liked them all. I've gotten rid of all but one of them mainly through trading to upgrade to better pistols, but not because I didn't like the Taurus. My wife still carries a .38spl Taurus Snubby.

I haven't kept up with the Taurus line, but is that a hammer fired version of the PT series that usued to be striker fired?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i've owned a number of Taurus guns and have not had a problem. My most recent purchase was a Rossi .357....I havent had time to try it out yet, so we will see.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    well i believe I have learned what the difference is in a $300 gun and a $600 gun.. not that I am unhappy, because I am very happy with the gun.. its just now I know. trigger isnt as bad as some people who have commented on it make it out to be. Joshua
    picture.php

That trigger will smooth out just fine after some use, I have the PT-809 and PT-845 and both perform admirably, the 809 is my preferred carry gun and have run over 2500 rounds through it with no problem.

I'm just waiting for the combo's to come out and get the 840 with the conversion kit added to it so I can shoot .22lr's through it for economy mode.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    yes this model does has a hammer. I will say that at this moment the gun will not chamber a round unless I push up on the magazine because there is some play when the magazine is seated. I am assuming that with some use this will work itself out. we will shall see. the shape of the 40 cal wadcutter isnt helping the issue.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I have had mixed experiences with Taurus. The first involved a 650 CIA revolver. It was a decent enough gun, after sending it back to Taurus for a binding cylinder, but eventually the transfer bar broke. I had them send me the part (2X), but I had to modify it, as they would not send me the proper part. I sold it, and I believe that the transfer bar broke again with the new owner. I actually traded it on a PT92, which feels a little cheap (safety and slide lock), but which works like a charm. I've heard many times that the revolvers are better, but my experience has been different, though it's pretty limited. Their customer service isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't the best.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    i have a judge, about 20 shots in the front sight disappeared. so i called the company, they got my serial number, then proceeded to send me the wrong front sights. im pretty sure i won't buy anything else from them

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I have to believe some designs are better than others. I am not suprised that people aren't having problems with the PT1911, or the OSS for that matter. I couldn't over state that I don't want to get ahead of myself. I just got it last night and haven't shot it yet. My Glocks have gotten better age, my Springfield RO shoots better 700 rounds later so I will update this thread later today, but I am liking it better the more I handle it. Needed quite a cleaning out of the box which I expected after reading so many reviews on it. Joshua

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Range Report: well... I put 50 rounds through it. I had failures to feed and fire. even on the supposed "2nd strike capability". Even a few failures of the slide to lock back on the last round. All of this did appear to be further between failures the more I shot. I will clean it tonight, and take it out tomorrow and run another 50 rounds through it. Maybe it just needs a good breaking in, but I will say that none of my other guns did this, and I certainly dont trust this gun with my life just yet. Not unhappy. Joshua

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have owned several Taurus firearms as well. I was completely happy with all of them until I purchased the "$600" firearm. I have owned a pt140 pro, never an issue; however I prefer my xd40 sub compact now. I do have to honestly admit that my primary carry is a Taurus snubby .38 special even though I have had revolver loading issues in the past. Its a nice gun but a little heavy.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Updated range report: Things are looking up. First of all, the failures to fire were most likely my fault. Upon initial cleaning I purposely over lubed the gun so that on the 2nd cleaning any debris I missed the first time would loosen up and remain suspended in the lube. I am positive lube got on the bullets. As for the failures to chamber a round upon inserting magazine, failures to feed, and failure of the slide to lock back was attributed to one magazine in particular. I ran 100 rounds through the gun alternating between the 2 mags, and consecutively had the same issues with the one mag. With the other mag in, the gun ran flawlessly. So.. No problem with the gun what so ever as for function. I have yet to take apart the faulty mag to see whats going on, but I assume it just needs a good cleaning. I will say that the grip on this gun does not fit my hand perfectly (tried with all three backstraps) which is a suprise to me because when doing the research on this gun it looked like it would be perfect. I will be ordering a hogue grip for it, like I have on my other guns. I assume that will make all the difference. The trigger pull is acceptable. The sights appear to be off a little. I consistently shot low with it having to over correct my point of aim. I typically shoot high and to the left if I am not patient so this didnt appear to be user error. After talking with a guy at the gun shop apparent Taurus offers fixes for this consisting of a different sized pin that keeps the front sight in place thus altering the height of it. I probably wont follow through with this being as I will be changing out the sights for night sights anyway. All in all its a good gun... not a great one in my opinion, though I have been accustomed to shooting glocks and 1911's since I began shooting. Hope this is of some substance to anyone. Joshua

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Appreciate the frank range reports and analysis. Too often one just gets the same old "Taurus is junk" comments from folks who have not tested the weapons. I also appreciate your honesty in clarifying that the problem was with the mag, not the gun itself. Still, Taurus needs to produce mags that work first time-every time.

My Taurus 709 Slim had to have some work done on it after I bought it from an fellow INGOer, but it has worked perfectly ever since I got it back. Taurus fixed it right and did not charge me a cent.

I carry the 709 most of the summer, but I also carry a G26. I have not found any difference between the $300 Taurus and the $600 Glock. One of the things I like about the pair is that they work and feel very similar. Trigger pull is similar; wrist angle is similar; results are similar. Three inch spreads (OK, maybe a bit wider :whistle:) at 10-15 yards. Still even my poor shots are on the target and would make a bad guy say "Ouch!" I am very confident carrying both of these. Hope you come to the same opinion once you break in your Taurus.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    I had Taurus .44 SPL years back. 5 shot, medium frame,. good gun, always worked, nice balance etc. shoulda kept it. back then I had to sell sometimes to fund the next thing.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Good purchase, keep putting rounds through it. I personally wouldn't carry a firearm, unless I'd put 500 rounds through it. Including 100 rounds of your carry ammo. But, that's just me.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've had far better luck with Taurus revolvers than their autoloaders.

Top Bottom