• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much is too much for a range membershp per month?

• Total voters

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Others on here must know something that I don't.
    , but I can see there isn't much love for top guns for so.e reason? In my opinion I think the prices are pretty standard and the range prices are pretty good. I agree, I don't think many people will spring for the VIP but if they do who cares. I think as a whole, top guns will continue to grow. The place is packed every time I've ever been there, new store or old. I wish them all the best.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How do you guys feel about an ER that allowed you to schedule an appointment and have a room ready at a given time for an additional cash price?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How do you guys feel about an ER that allowed you to schedule an appointment and have a room ready at a given time for an additional cash price?

If you have time to schedule an appointment, it's not really an emergency now, is it? :) Although I suppose if you were accident prone and about to engage in risky behavior it might be prudent. Like Rhino sharpening his knife or something... :):

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Others on here must know something that I don't.
    , but I can see there isn't much love for top guns for so.e reason? In my opinion I think the prices are pretty standard and the range prices are pretty good. I agree, I don't think many people will spring for the VIP but if they do who cares. I think as a whole, top guns will continue to grow. The place is packed every time I've ever been there, new store or old. I wish them all the best.

You seem to be correct. The negatives are usually centered around distaste for top guns and not the business plan. Nobody goes into business to lose money. There's enough "feelings" talk here I thought I had stumbled onto Rachel rays forum.

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    I don't care if you get a better price if you ask. I get a better price at other places and it is actually offered. I don't have to ask. It is OFFERED.

I find Top uns to be OK as a range but will not be buying guns there. I am sure they will screw up the range too, they are too money hungry not to do so.
    I see that we are neighbors, where do you mostly shop for guns, locally?

You seem to be correct. The negatives are usually centered around distaste for top guns and not the business plan. Nobody goes into business to lose money. There's enough "feelings" talk here I thought I had stumbled onto Rachel rays forum.
    Yup, lotsa "Ellis Hatin'" going on, and like I said, one should separate the lawyers from the shooters... I bet none of the haters actually ever talked to Steve very much. He's a vet, his Dad was a vet, lots of plusses in my mind.

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Hey, while I got everyone in here, I was wondering if there is a regional section (forum) for Terre Haute and the surrounding areas...

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Not quite on topic but I stopped into the "new" Topguns location today for the first time. I was pretty impressed with the 3-4 staff members that I spoke to. All were pleasant and accommodating, even going in the back to check on a gun I wanted to see that was not in the display case. I also got a pretty thorough personal tour of the shooting range including going into the side that was not being used and shown the target systems/lighting options/future training ideas and a quick trip down the hall where they have a room set up for "clearing" a house or other scenarios. The man showing me around the range said that the web site is going to be improved and that specials, such as lunch and shoot, and date night shoot will be forthcoming. I may have to head over on one of my 1/2 work days and burn up some ammo.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I happened to be in there today also, and I'm in Bloomington too! I was in and out pretty quick just to get my first look at the place and just see it, checked prices on a few guns and the range real fast but did not really speak to anyone other than hello. Nice place, but usually when I was in the old location it was packed and there were maybe 4 people in there besides me looking at guns. Seemed like a light day to me? Regardless they did not have the CZ selection I was hoping to peruse (3 total CZs if I remember correctly) so I was in and out quick. Prices seemed higher than I remembered by a bit on each firearm I looked at too. Might just be me, I'm not over there very often.

I do now know where to go look at tons of Sigs though, geeze.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    There is no forum for just Terre Haute, there wouldn't be many posts as most folks who live here aren't the nicest or most easily convinced they aren't very friendly.

OK, I have now been into the place more than a few times. The range is very nice and I love it is so close by. They do have a fairly large assortment of firearms in there but their prices are still fairly high. HOWEVER, I have met a friend who was once employed at Gander Mountain who now works there. I have also become a bit more friendly with the man who appears to be the manager. He is actually pretty nice too. I have found that once I have said I will buy a firearm, IF I look for him and ask him for a better price, he will give me one. His prices have been fair and just so I have bought myself a couple of firearms there, a Henry Big Boy in 357 magnum and a Single Action (Used)(brand escapes me now) in 44 magnum, SO I suppose I will go ahead and check them out for the for things I want as well as the other places, Wabash Valley Armory and Carson Arms, for the firearms I am looking for and desire.

Shoot me a PM undeRGRound and maybe we can meet there and do some shooting? :)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I was working in TH a couple days ago and stopped in to take a look. BIG compared to the old shop across the street. There's even a loft with band equipment looking down onto the sales floor. I guess if they can't make it as a gun shop they can be a night club. :)

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I guess I'll Necro this thing up a bit.

I dont really seem to have a "go to" lgs, as the people I really like are high price, the prices that are great are far away, no one really has a big selection of what I always look for.......

But I'm in top guns at least twice a week. I have a family membership at the range, and all three of us can go any time we want. It's something like $49/month, that covers all of us, and I guess at least just me alone is there 5-6 hrs a month. So the cost doesn't bother me any. Have never been "bumped" by any vip, never even knew there was any. Never had to wait on a lane. Never the first issue whatsoever.

Over the years, I have bought several guns from them, but 3 stand out, and are noteworthy. My wife's sr40, it was $100 less then down the street an gouger mountain, and the only other one in town at the time. The next is a type 99 jap. Complete, with the mum and still has the aircraft sights and good cond. $200 otd. Then just the other day, on the rack was an old savage 340 in 222 with scope. Got it for $130. I don't shop for a bunch of new stuff, but I have got some good deals from them.

I don't know Mike and Kal, but Steve is a stand up guy, and their dad was a very good man. Always helpful and friendly, and the rest of the staff has followed suit.

Deer creek is exactly the same drive in the opposite direction for me, but it's not the same kind of place. Totally different range, that lends itself to different things. It is also a nice place, and ran well. If you want to shoot 100 yd, and big stuff, or if you are looking for reloading stuff, that's the place. Top guns is a totally different type of range and retail setting /inventory

But most of that, is just my opinion

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Living in Terre Haute I actually bought my first gun from top guns when they originally opened across the street from where he current location. As they got popular I stopped going in as it was way too small for the amount of customers they had. When the furniture store was closing, I said I wanted to win the lottery so I could open an indoor range, along with a place to eat and other store fronts. I obviously never won the lottery (or did I?) but am glad someone did exactly what I was hoping to do.

Last week, I finally went into the new store and range. Store is fantastic in layout and everything. I did an hour of range time last week also. I never really got great training on firearms before I bought mine but knew the basics. As I was shooting last week, the range officer told me a few things and my groupings got better. I love the range and targets. Actually went back again tonight. Probably doing the limited membership and going three or more times a month as work schedules allow.

if picture shows up, that was from 10’ out and about 40 rounds

Attachments

• AAE659B1-2B92-4A70-ABED-911F137E1B1B.jpg
      AAE659B1-2B92-4A70-ABED-911F137E1B1B.jpg
      57.1 KB · Views: 4

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Good deal! I like the 1 hour price and the full day price! I don't shoot indoors often enough to justify the monthly membership, but I think those prices are good if you live close or like being able to shoot as often as you like all year.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I went there and shot for an hour. The range is nice, not a lot of rules and not a lot of RO's trying to tell you what you are doing wrong even if you are just standing there like other places I have been. I guess the price is decent too, they certainly have a nice selection of guns. You get the best price by telling the salesman/woman to ask the manager for it though. You also need to hope one is available or you price is only going to get a tiny bit better. They have rather high prices compared to the other shops near the place and so I tend to but my guns elsewhere but I have bought two there so far. I don't mind shooting outdoors even in the cold so I will continue to go to PROteq unless someone wants to meet me at Top Guns and I have the extra money to do so.

Top Bottom