• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    ....If the answer turns out to be a ........ West German SIG P228, these are both good answers ;-)

Don't be too quick to exclude the "Made In Germany" marked P228 Sigs (not W. Germany) that were made in 1997 and before. Whether '89 thru '97, they are all the P228's that made the gun legendary for Sig. I'm carrying a P228 right now from 1995 (a Made In Germany marked gun) and it may be my favorite of favorites.

My 3 guns for your query would be:

1. Sig P228 ('89 thru '97) DAO
    2. H&K P30 V2 or V1
    3. Glock 19 G4

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Don't be too quick to exclude the "Made In Germany" marked P228 Sigs (not W. Germany) that were made in 1997 and before. Whether '89 thru '97, they are all the P228's that made the gun legendary for Sig. I'm carrying a P228 right now from 1995 (a Made In Germany marked gun) and it may be my favorite of favorites.

My 3 guns for your query would be:

1. Sig P228 ('89 thru '97) DAO
    2. H&K P30 V2 or V1
    3. Glock 19 G4

Forgot about the Post W German and pre USA P228's. How do you like the DAO option?

Have not gotten to play with a P30 yet ... most everyone have 45s ;-).

And while talking, what does Glock Gen 4 gain you now days over the older generations? When Gen 4 first came out, like many things, was a problem child.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I carry an East German Makarov with two spare mags. The DA/SA trigger takes a little getting used to. I am going to paint the front sight orange. After I paint the sight I should be able to get a lot better sight picture and the pistol will be perfect. I only paid $360 for it at the 1500.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I carry an East German Makarov with two spare mags. The DA/SA trigger takes a little getting used to. I am going to paint the front sight orange. After I paint the sight I should be able to get a lot better sight picture and the pistol will be perfect. I only paid $360 for it at the 1500.

Is a good gun but you and I are at different points in what we are looking for ;-).

I have a good Colt Pony (DAO) for the pocket and several five shot wheel guns for the next size up. Looking more along the lines of something that carry's well but fills in for a full size gun also.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Depending on your body type, don't dismiss any of the full-size versions of whatever pistol line you eventually go with for concealed carry. I own an XD45 and XDm9 both compact versions but I've found that I would've been just as well getting the full-size versions of each because I have little difficulty. I'm a larger frame, but I have a friend with a smaller frame who ultimately went with getting a full-size M&P-9 because it conceals on him just as well as any of the compacts. And full-sizes will almost always have superior ergonomics and handling than any compacts.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Depending on your body type, don't dismiss any of the full-size versions of whatever pistol line you eventually go with for concealed carry. I own an XD45 and XDm9 both compact versions but I've found that I would've been just as well getting the full-size versions of each because I have little difficulty. I'm a larger frame, but I have a friend with a smaller frame who ultimately went with getting a full-size M&P-9 because it conceals on him just as well as any of the compacts. And full-sizes will almost always have superior ergonomics and handling than any compacts.

One of the reasons still thinking on the sub compacts. The compact firearms (i.e. SIG P228, Glock 19, HK USP Compact etc.) tend to be very close to being as good as the full size guns, however, at risk of being nearly as large to carry ;-).

One option is to stay with the Colt Mustang for pocket and the J frame for the rest of the time, except when have a jacket on a couple months a year and can easily carry the SIG P220 or similar. But find for the few weeks that one wears a jacket all day, tend to toggle into the J frame anyway (never know when it will be warmer or colder later in the day / evening ... take this last week). For coldest weather with heavy coats, the J frame comes back out for a outer pocket gun.

One can easily end up with a larger gun for the truck, a pocket gun to get two and a third gun in a less accessible place .... all which should be able to be covered a little simpler and better or at least is worth considering how and what the options are.

Top Bottom