Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Tourniquets fears, revisited

John L. Meade, MD, FACEP
    Director of Tactical Medicine, Suarez International

I got this email from a friend today:

There is a persistent belief among the general public (including an EMT I talked to yesterday) that applying a tourniquet means the limb below the tourniquet is a guaranteed total loss. How do we address this concern?

Simply tell them it has been conclusively proven that this is untrue.

read more http://www.warriortalknews.com/2011/12/tourniquets-fears-revisited.html

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    "Use 'em"

Caution - may not be good reading during meal time:puke::

When I was six years old I ran through a glass storm door and cut my left forearm from my wrist to my elbow (to the bone). The blood was spraying several feet into the air. My Dad applied a tourniquet (I assume tightening until the blood flow could be stopped by compression). I am glad he had the oldest training to "use 'em". :)

My mom was scared that I might lose my arm and the interns upon arrival were not sure if it was a good idea or not. I also recall the two interns at Methodist Hospital arguing (you do it, I have never done anything like that; no you do it!) over who was going to try to sew my arm (inside and out).:dunno:

It worked out OK, as I am left handed (and after played football for 10 years, TE/DE).:yesway:

I am not a doctor, but might not be here today if it was not for my Dad's realization that he had to stop the bleeding.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    A well known trainer (that many here have worked with) saved a young girls life in a hotel parking lot last year by applying a tourniquet to her arm. The ER Doc informed the girls mom that the tourniquet was what saved her, and she did not loose her arm.

I carry one with me every day, and I won't hesitate to use it if needed.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    tq have been applied for up to 12 hours or longer with no limb loss
    i teach the live fire portion for our medical program and have seen info and documentation that i carry them and will use them

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been slow to actually make a decision as to which tourniquet to acquire, so I have not yet done so. In the back of my mind, I rationalize that I can use one of the IBDs I have on my person in lieu of a tourniquet, but I really need to get a dedicated item to add to my kits.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have personally used TQ's to save Lives in Real World Applications. I would also include limbs in the statement, but you cannot always save limbs. I see a large wound with Arterial Blood Flow, Tourniquet before I even worry about Dressings.

As far as Type of TQ for me there is only for me to choose on the Market at this time, I use the CAT TQ Combat Application Tourniquet. I have yet to find anything Better, Quicker to apply, or easier to use...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Me too. However, this thread prompted me to order this one:

I saved a buck ordering from Amazon, but they are still quite pricey. Wonder if a group buy on these and IBD's would save anything?

I think the tourniquet in your link is the same one Glock21 carries.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    CAT are the best i have used and i have tried a bunch of them next up would be the SOFT get the CAt and dont look back

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I carry a CAT on my person at all times. I'm quite convinced from force-on-force training that self application of a tourniquet is a much better plan than trying to unwrap and bind and IBD on your own wounds during a fight.

Touriquets are great for other peoples wounds, but I'm also really concerned about personally staying conscious during a fight, and that's my main reason for carrying one.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Its not much good to have a salvageable limb with a person who is in hypovolemic shock. If I had to, i would use whatever I had to slow blood flow and promote clotting.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    What was the alternative during the "don't use 'em" period?

Direct Pressure was the technique relied on during the anti-tourniquet periods and some still stick to it as a solve all.

Military documentation shows blood loss as the primary means of death to this day, however with the current conflict and use of tourniquets and hemostatic agents widely excepted, the number is lower than past conflicts.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Direct Pressure was the technique relied on during the anti-tourniquet periods and some still stick to it as a solve all.

Military documentation shows blood loss as the primary means of death to this day, however with the current conflict and use of tourniquets and hemostatic agents widely excepted, the number is lower than past conflicts.

Right, but what when direct pressure didn't work?

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    There was no other technique as the training advised to keep adding dressings until the bleeding stopped.

On rare occasions tourniquets would be described as a last resort, but rarely recommended.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I have personally used TQ's to save Lives in Real World Applications. I would also include limbs in the statement, but you cannot always save limbs. ...

So true. Loss of limbs are and always will be a complication / risk. The powers that be tend to vascilate on these things because they believe (maybe rightly so) that the general public will get too aggressive with the tournequet. I had a buddy (a former army medic) I went to physical therapy school with who lost his leg above the knee after a self-applied tournequet. He was pinned down after taking an Iraqi bullet in the knee for an extended period and didn't want to bleed out.

Top Bottom