• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Jesus, way to generalize.No, because it expands the industry and offers long term alternatives to fossil fuels.

Well I am in the coal industry and I understand the electrical grid very well. People need affordable utilities and they take for granted a stable and plentiful electrical grid. Well maybe everybody but California.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Well I am in the coal industry and I understand the electrical grid very well. People need affordable utilities and they take for granted a stable and plentiful electrical grid. Well maybe everybody but California.

I spent a few years pushing electrons, too. Those who believe the bulk electric system in the US could meet current demand without base-load, coal-fired generation are living in a dream world.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I think it was 8:17 when I remarked to my wife that Savannah had been attacking him the whole time so far, and were we ever going to hear anyone else ask a question.
    That’s my biggest complain. I wanted to hear voters questions. Not hers. I’ve heard hers every. single. day. I wanted to see some older people, middle aged people, and young people ask him questions pertaining to their concerns. We all have different desires and concerns depending on our age in life, let them ask.

But they knew he’d knock those out of the park.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I spent a few years pushing electrons, too. Those who believe the bulk electric system in the US could meet current demand without base-load, coal-fired generation are living in a dream world.

Yes sir they are.

But they are selling that dream and people are blindly jumping on board without thinking of the consequences as usual.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have pointed this out with respect to other events over the last few weeks, but it applies here too. Quibbling over which town hall had higher attendance is not the sort of thing that one does when their campaign is legitimately up by double-digits.

They do not believe the polls they are putting out. They are looking everywhere for signs of voter enthusiasm.

The Democrats are concerned, and they have good reason to be.

Bingo. They bragged about turning on multiple TV’s, streaming multiple devices, etc and still barely beat him... and every lib in the country was trying to outmatch trumps ratings. 13 million is a fraction of the voting base. Libs internal pollsters on twitter is asking for money claiming the race is “a LOT closer than people think”, aka they’re not ahead. Voter registration trends in PA, FL, and WI all favor trump. Hillary had more support because she would’ve been the first woman president. Biden has no excitement from younger voters, other than the never trumpers.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I guess my mind has a very serious lack of understanding why someone would join a 2-A driven "GUN" forum and push for the mush brained old man that has openly stated he will come for your firearms. And then throw out every sound bite a piece of twisted MSM spewed rhetoric available to justify his reasoning.

I think it all boils down to the base reason they own guns. For me, guns are an essential part of my life. They provide me with security for myself and my family, just as much as food, water, shelter, clothing, and beer. ;)

For other gun owners, guns don't rank very highly on their list of basic needs. It may be that they own them for hunting, but they don't really need to hunt to survive. If guns were outlawed, they's just take up fishing or kitting or something else to occupy their time. Or maybe they enjoy target shooting, or reenactment, or competition, which could be easily be replaced by using airsoft or replica or paintball guns.

It's like guys who own classic cars. They want to keep and enjoy their old air breathing, gass guzzling, pollution machines, but they'd be ok with transitioning new vehicles to "clean" all electric vehicles. They don't realize that the next step is to oulaw ALL dinosaur drinkers.

Remember the old tale about when the farmer walks out of his house in the morning and wants bacon and eggs for breakfast, the chickens are concerned, but the pigs are INVOLVED? Yeah, it's like that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes sir they are.

But they are selling that dream and people are blindly jumping on board without thinking of the consequences as usual.

With all this talk of "Green"/"free" energy. We were driving out past the airport last week and there are literally Acres and acres of solar set up out there. I am wondering what the actual avg yield that field produces as to the actual cost to install and the control and maint. of it. Then figure in the cost of the land.

Today we are coming up Holt just north of Raymond and there is more than a few acres of panels there as well. Again the very same questions. Is this one for the National Guard armory across the street.

Drive to the end of Livingstone a block east of the Race track (500) off of 16th. You will see what appears to be an endless array of solar. We used to ride dirt bikes back there and that area is fracking huge. Again the same questions. Costs versus return. Factor in the infrastructure and the land. Tell me how Fracking free that crap is. Same wit the wind farm up north on 65. Last I rolled by at least 50% of the fans were dead.

Please do not urinate down my back and tell me it is warm rain........:xmad:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    With all this talk of "Green"/"free" energy. We were driving out past the airport last week and there are literally Acres and acres of solar set up out there. I am wondering what the actual avg yield that field produces as to the actual cost to install and the control and maint. of it. Then figure in the cost of the land.

Today we are coming up Holt just north of Raymond and there is more than a few acres of panels there as well. Again the very same questions. Is this one for the National Guard armory across the street.

Drive to the end of Livingstone a block east of the Race track (500) off of 16th. You will see what appears to be an endless array of solar. We used to ride dirt bikes back there and that area is fracking huge. Again the same questions. Costs versus return. Factor in the infrastructure and the land. Tell me how Fracking free that crap is. Same wit the wind farm up north on 65. Last I rolled by at least 50% of the fans were dead.

And don't forget about the limited window of output and lack of storage ability, but don't worry about it it's the way of the future. Enjoy your utility bills while you can

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy

Nice to hear from you, sir, and thanks for being a part of the industry that allows me to keep power to my house so I can keep it cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and fire up my computer and surf INGO. :cheers:

I'm sure you will understand it when I say, that when Biden talks about how many jobs he will create with green energy, he doesn't account for the jobs, or even careers he will destroy by doing so. It's not like every fossil fuel worker will be able to convert to a career in green energy. The skillset is different, and not easily adaptable. I don't mean to say that fossil fuel workers aren't intelligent, no. Far from it. I'm sure that most are very smart, and competent in what they do. But if their industry is regulated out of existence, how many would be able to transition to the green workforce? What can he say to the people who can't transition? Sorry I killed your career, but take heart in the knowledge that someone with a different skillset is now employed?

I doint think that people think about this. Am I way off base here with this line of reasoning?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And don't forget about the limited window of output and lack of storage ability, but don't worry about it it's the way of the future. Enjoy your utility bills while you can

I have seen the insides of these systems. The huge banks of battery's for storage and the huge losses in inverting it to anything usable. The buildings and the banks of controls are amazing in the magnitude on a big system.

And as to the limited window of output thats my entire point........"Average" cost per amounts of energy produced and used.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy

Their cost/benefit ratio is very bad. When you drive past wind farms, and see many that are not rotating, it's because it's so expensive to repair them that they won't even call a repair crew out until a certain percentage have stopped working. Cheaper to repair them in bulk, and they aren't going to call a repair crew out for just one.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Nice to hear from you, sir, and thanks for being a part of the industry that allows me to keep power to my house so I can keep it cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and fire up my computer and surf INGO. :cheers:

I'm sure you will understand it when I say, that when Biden talks about how many jobs he will create with green energy, he doesn't account for the jobs, or even careers he will destroy by doing so. It's not like every fossil fuel worker will be able to convert to a career in green energy. The skillset is different, and not easily adaptable. I don't mean to say that fossil fuel workers aren't intelligent, no. Far from it. I'm sure that most are very smart, and competent in what they do. But if their industry is regulated out of existence, how many would be able to transition to the green workforce? What can he say to the people who can't transition? Sorry I killed your career, but take heart in the knowledge that someone with a different skillset is now employed?

I doint think that people think about this. Am I way off base here with this line of reasoning?

Not way off base. I fully understand that fields of work come and go, nothing last forever. I believe that renewable resources are important, but they are a long way from being able to do what they say on the scale that needs to be done. Anyone remember how expensive computers were and how lacking in ability they were when first starting out. Take the time to figure out and refine things before jumping all in on something. As CM pointed out this stuff takes up a lot of real estate and has very limited output.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Not way off base. I fully understand that fields of work come and go, nothing last forever. I believe that renewable resources are important, but they are a long way from being able to do what they say on the scale that needs to be done. Anyone remember how expensive computers were and how lacking in ability they were when first starting out. Take the time to figure out and refine things before jumping all in on something. As CM pointed out this stuff takes up a lot of real estate and has very limited output.

I wholeheartedly agree that green/clean energy is a very good idea in theory, but I think it's being pushed way too early in its development to be a viable repacement for fossil fuels. Let's get there, but let's get there when the tech can get us there. That's the technological side of it.

The political side, though, is that we would leave people arse-out in the transition. While Sniffy Joe may create jobs for people who can install, maintain, and repair wind turbines, what's his plan for the coal workers he displaces? Unemployment? Low-wage retail? Any job your obsolete skills can get you?

Without saying too much, my job is working with obsolete but effective technology. I'm very good at it, but I know it will be supplanted with more current technology. I'm not going to even try to adapt. I'll just retire at that point. Hell, I'm retirement eligible now. The younger people in my place, though. What are their options going to be?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wholeheartedly agree that green/clean energy is a very good idea in theory, but I think it's being pushed way too early in its development to be a viable repacement for fossil fuels. Let's get there, but let's get there when the tech can get us there. That's the technological side of it.

The political side, though, is that we would leave people arse-out in the transition. While Sniffy Joe may create jobs for people who can install, maintain, and repair wind turbines, what's his plan for the coal workers he displaces? Unemployment? Low-wage retail? Any job your obsolete skills can get you?

Without saying too much, my job is working with obsolete but effective technology. I'm very good at it, but I know it will be supplanted with more current technology. I'm not going to even try to adapt. I'll just retire at that point. Hell, I'm retirement eligible now. The younger people in my place, though. What are their options going to be?

Look at the billions "O" and his hubby gave away to the failed and even fraudulent Green company's. There was so much graft and greed to get a handful of that Gov. hand out. Thats what it is about right now. Get in get fat and bail out.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Look at the billions "O" and his hubby gave away to the failed and even fraudulent Green company's. There was so much graft and greed to get a handful of that Gov. hand out. Thats what it is about right now. Get in get fat and bail out.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg about how government money, federal taxpayer dollars, gets recycled and kicked back to the politicians who originated the disbursement of the funds. Foreign aid, block grants from federal government to state governments, national endowments to the arts and education, community grants, and the list goes on. Federal taxpayer dollars that get distributed without accounting or accountability, and the politicians get rich.

Nobody leaves Congess or the White House poor.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Torturing? Its fun trying to understand the human condition and flaws we all exhibit. In Trump’s case I find it fascinating what people are willing to endure just so the other side won’t win. Democrats have been essentially the same for what 30+ years? And yet, it seems that beat them, conservatives are abandoning the very things that made them conservatives. I mean if 30 years ago, someone told me that the GOP would be headed by a celebrity, known for hanging around Playmates, cheating on his wives, with a multitude of bankruptcies, and failed businesses, I would have thought them delusional.... and yet, here we are. :dunno:
    Yeah, never thought a celebrity would be President ? Besides one of our greatest Presidents, what was Regan?
    or a philanderer? I seem to remember a John F. Somebody? And some scuz bucket from Arkansas?
    What do you consider a “multitude”?
    What (in your opinion) “makes(or made) a conservative” a conservative?

Top Bottom