• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We own a Ruger SR9C. Bought it used, we've both had trouble with it jamming and double-firing. My hubby intended for it to be his CCW, but it is not dependable. The gun shop owner sent it back to Ruger and also fired it himself, and there were no problems! I have no reason to believe they are being dishonest, they are a very reputable shop. It just must not be meant to be for us! they are treating us right and refunding us store credit. Of the guns available there, the S&W MP9 and the Ruger SR40C are what he's most interested in. He is a big guy, very big, strong hands, not a real experienced handgun shooter, but we've done some plinking over the years. I'm a little leery of the SR40C, but he likes it for it's smaller size for CCW. Anybody here familiar with these guns? I know, silly question- of course some of you are! He wants to sleep on it and make the trade tomorrow. Both guns are new. Any suggestions? Thanks!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't own both but I LOVE my M&P's. I own a Pro and a regular M&P 9mm. If you are deciding on whether to go 9mm or 40S&W then you should know that you can get the 40 (gun) and then get a conversion barrel for it so you can shoot 9mm. It doesn't work the other way around though (if you have a 9mm M&P there is not a conversion barrel to make it shoot 40).
    May not help but that is my 2 cents.
    Also the M&P has different sized "back-straps" which is basically the back and 1/2 of the sides of the grip of the gun that can be changed out to fit the size of your hands. When you go to handle a M&P make sure you change out the grip pieces so you "get a feel" for the different sizes. Otherwise you are basing a "fit" decision on something that can be changed in 30 seconds.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have shot both versions of the Ruger, and they are a fine enough weapon. My personal preference is the M&P, both in the full size and compact. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, just decide on the caliber you want. HTH!

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I would stay with what you are use to and stick with the 9mm. The M&P is a fine firearm with good reputation. I have the full size and the 9c which both fit my big hands perfectly. Of course I am bias since I don't like (copycat) Ruger anyways.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I carry a Glock 19, but I would seriously look at the M&P 9mm. Its an awesome firearm. Interchangeable backstraps to fit the hand, reliable, and pretty good looking! Accessories and holsters readily available. A great choice!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I love my S&W M&P9. And since your both going to be shooting it you can change the backstraps to fit your hand. Rugers are nice, but the M&P is hard to beat.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    All I have to say about the SR9's and 40's is that they come equipped with the LARGEST chamber indicator ever. I actually thought it would obscure my FOV down the sight lines...other than that, I think they're great pistols. Sorry if this was a bit off topic.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Oh, and also, I've not been privy to firing the M&P series yet. Hear good and bad things, but it's all speculation to me, as I haven't fondled/shot with them. Only thing I don't care for is the need to drop in the APEX kit for a good/decent trigger. I mean, I'm sure they're fine out-of-box but, I really hear about installations of the APEX a lot.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Before you get rid of the Ruger, I'd have a friend...or several friends... Shoot it at a range to see if they can get it to malfunction.

The following is NOT an indictment of you or your husband: A goodly portion of handgun malfunctions are the result of the operator and not the firearm itself.

That said, I also really really really enjoy the M&P pistols, i have both the C and FS 9mm versions.

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    We have an M&P9 and really enjoy shooting it. My wife used it at a Women's Defensive Handgun Class and was able to operate it all day through the various exericses despite having arthritis in her hands. It hasn't had any issues, very dependable, even shooting the UMC and PMC 115 grain ammo.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i should mention that we don't really want a .40, it just happened to be available and in our price range. we did have 2 other people fire the gun besides us, and it did malfunction. my hubby is leaning toward the M&P 9, but is still concerned about concealing it, and we have read that the trigger is heavy- since we don't have a lot to compare it to, i don't know if we'd even notice. i'd prefer trying the S&W vs the Rugers. Just want him to be happy, I have my own CCW. You know that saying about if momma ain't happy...? it's not just momma! ;)

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Just be aware, the trigger on the SR9c is better than the trigger on the M&P 9.

My SR9c (out of the box) was almost as good as my M&P Pro 9.

If you get a M&P 9 (which I fully support) be ready to drop in the Apex DCAEK (Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit).

Sorry your Ruger has given you trouble. Mine has been flawless. I'd love to compare the two at the range and see whats up with that.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    Just be aware, the trigger on the SR9c is better than the trigger on the M&P 9.

My SR9c (out of the box) was almost as good as my M&P Pro 9.

If you get a M&P 9 (which I fully support) be ready to drop in the Apex DCAEK (Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit).

Sorry your Ruger has given you trouble. Mine has been flawless. I'd love to compare the two at the range and see whats up with that.
    i wish i knew someone with DCAEK because my m&p feels fine to me but i have only shot 2 semiautos

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    i wish i knew someone with DCAEK because my m&p feels fine to me but i have only shot 2 semiautos

Can't help you there. But I put the Competition AEK on my Pro and it made a world of difference, and the Pro was already great.

Not just the pull weight, but the reset was much shorter and RAM makes the reset noticeable. The rounded striker block takes out the grittiness but I've heard that S&W has rounded their stock striker block, so maybe they've already fixed that.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I shoot and carry Glocks, but I would not hesitate to take the M&P.

The .40 will cost you more to shoot, and if you already had an issue with the first Ruger, I wouldn't necessarily go back to another.

And sounds like you found a pretty good shop.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We went out and shot the S&W M&P 9 today. Both of us like the gun, and so far it has had no issues at all. We spent the entire afternoon shooting, it was a really nice peaceful day at the range. We got to shoot an AK 47 while out there too. Never shot one before. Pretty fun! Hubby no longer is sad about parting with the Ruger. We didn't notice the trigger being heavy or gritty. Hubby is already wanting to put fiber optic sights on, like the one that came on our Browning. He's getting so spoiled ;-)

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've been researching the SR9c and SR40c and they are essentially the same gun. If the problem is user generated, then the problem would likely persist on the SR40c. Of course, I suppose you could have gotten a lemon SR9c--by most reviews these are very solid handguns.

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    Before you get rid of the Ruger, I'd have a friend...or several friends... Shoot it at a range to see if they can get it to malfunction.

The following is NOT an indictment of you or your husband: A goodly portion of handgun malfunctions are the result of the operator and not the firearm itself.

That said, I also really really really enjoy the M&P pistols, i have both the C and FS 9mm versions.

not to knock you or your husband. sometimes new people to pistols dont hold firearms tight enough for the firearm to work properly. make sure you have a firm grip when firing your pistol. if you have a weak grip you loose inertia in the slide that can cause a malfunction. i own an m&p pro series 9mm and love it. havent changed a thing on the pistol and have participated in uspsa and idpa with it and have also taken a few tactical classes with it. ive shot about 4000+ rnds without cleaning it and have had 0 FTE and 0 FTF. ive been shooting sellier and belloit, winchester and pmc and had 0 issues with this pistol. it eats whatever i feed it...

Top Bottom