• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kimbers have that stupid front serration...

Love my kimber...hate front serrations.

I can COMPLETELY relate to what this gentleman wants.....a classy, well made GI style commander....all the stuff on the market has this "flare" crap going on....fancy serrations, angled serrations, giant swoopy beavertails, bobtails, slide cuts, etc.

What is so hard about making a clean and classy commander in carbon steel?

The colts from the 70's are still usually under $1k, and the series 80 guns can be converted....but nobody makes a decent clean commander or GI these days for under $1500?
    Colt quality through the years has been a crap shoot anyway...had an officer that shot patterns not groups and 7 yards.

The GI's are great...theyre just parkerized...I guess you could refinish and brand new gun and swap the firing parts out....but why should you have to?

MIM parts arent really all that bad...matter for fact theyre quite strong(they make connecting rods and engine blocks out of it)...but it looks like crap.
    Looks all "new fangled and smooth".

God bless
    -Shred

As with anything we enjoy tinkering with the Rods always get swapped out in my hot rods and the same with the MIM parts in the ignition controls.

Society wants "Bling" these days.
    I absolutely love the look of a clean, no roll marks or front serrations DW.
    Along the same vane I do like my Stainless Loaded (SA) and it has the front serrations. JMHO

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood

I can COMPLETELY relate to what this gentleman wants.....a classy, well made GI style commander....all the stuff on the market has this "flare" crap going on....fancy serrations, angled serrations, giant swoopy beavertails, bobtails, slide cuts, etc.

The colts from the 70's are still usually under $1k, and the series 80 guns can be converted....but nobody makes a decent clean commander or GI these days for under $1500?
    Colt quality through the years has been a crap shoot anyway...had an officer that shot patterns not groups and 7 yards.

The GI's are great...theyre just parkerized...I guess you could refinish and brand new gun and swap the firing parts out....but why should you have to?

MIM parts arent really all that bad...matter for fact theyre quite strong(they make connecting rods and engine blocks out of it)...but it looks like crap.

God bless
    -Shred
    Thanks for your comments. I think you are correct, a Classy-Well-Made GI Commander for a reasonable price! ;)

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Colt just filed Chapter 11. I would not send anything into that mess nor buy anything from them.

when GM filled did you tell everyone not to buy a GM?.....just because they filed don't mean there dead and not givin' them business won't help there cause......just sayin'

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    when GM filled did you tell everyone not to buy a GM?.....just because they filed don't mean there dead and not givin' them business won't help there cause......just sayin'

I let folks figure these things out on their own mostly.
    But, to send something into a melting pot of mis-management is a bit of a gamble.
    Colts issues are from the CEO down. Total mis-management and raping the company.
    This will have a demoralizing effect across the board.

JMHO

GregD

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    As with anything we enjoy tinkering with the Rods always get swapped out in my hot rods and the same with the MIM parts in the ignition controls.

Society wants "Bling" these days.
    I absolutely love the look of a clean, no roll marks or front serrations DW.
    Along the same vane I do like my Stainless Loaded (SA) and it has the front serrations. JMHO

CM, in an older 1911, how would you identify MIM parts?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

God bless
    -Shred

I thought the knock on MIM parts was that, like a turd, you cant polish them?

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Dan wesson valor comes in commander size and meets your requirements but you might have to do a special order to get one that hasn't been bobtailed. A used less baer Comanche or Comanche trs might put u where u want to be or a kimber pro carry hd early model before they became series II might work and it wod leave u some money to get rid of some the mim parts and still keep u under 1800.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have checked out S&W's. I like the E-Series and the Performance Center. I really like the warranty and the looks. Sorta of wanted an internal extractor and NO mim parts. Plus, I think both have FLGR. All that being said, I am considering S&W as an option. Just being picky.

Thanks for the suggestion Gary.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    This falls under the there are no stupid questions: What does "mim" parts mean? I have a 1991A1 commander and I love it. Just did a trigger job and an extended beaver tail on it. Love that gun. -Jason

They were unloaded BIG TIME at the time of the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20141002_151717_880.jpg
      IMG_20141002_151717_880.jpg
      382.3 KB · Views: 10

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    This falls under the there are no stupid questions: What does "mim" parts mean? I have a 1991A1 commander and I love it. Just did a trigger job and an extended beaver tail on it. Love that gun. -Jason

They were unloaded BIG TIME at the time of the picture.

Metal Injection Molded. This is probably racist but for a long time I thought it meant Made in Mexico....whoops.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I think my Les Baer Stinger would qualify.
    I got mine used with in your price range.
    After I added the magwell, grips, and Trijicon sights, it's over your price range, but not far off.
    Definitely all steel, no MIM, officer frame but the magwell extends it enough for me.
    All hand fitted and assembled.
    It's probably the best quality pistol that can be had in this price range.

resized_6867e0f6-25d4-4e48-ae2c-e570c176f7f6.jpg

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I think my Les Baer Stinger would qualify.
    I got mine used with in your price range.
    After I added the magwell, grips, and Trijicon sights, it's over your price range, but not far off.
    Definitely all steel, no MIM, officer frame but the magwell extends it enough for me.
    All hand fitted and assembled.
    It's probably the best quality pistol that can be had in this price range.

View attachment 39638
    Really, really nice!psyko

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Thanks Jeff. I didn't even think about that.

Is the Baer 4" or something?

Just double checked my Baer Comanche, it IS a 4.25 "true Commander" length. Baer does fit up his frames a bit different, hence the possible confusion. ROCK SOLID 1911 that would meet your desired specs, if you can find one at the high end of your price point.

attachment.php

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just double checked my Baer Comanche, it IS a 4.25 "true Commander" length. Baer does fit up his frames a bit different, hence the possible confusion. ROCK SOLID 1911 that would meet your desired specs, if you can find one at the high end of your price point.

attachment.php

I have one of his government models. I am going to have to have one of these now...

Top Bottom