• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The gun was unloaded when Hummel was showing it to his sons, police said. He later re-loaded the gun, but forgot he had done so.

Eet ain't low-dead.

He told the boys “never use a gun” and “this is why” before he pointed it at his daughter, who had just walked into the room, and shot her in the head.

I wonder for which gun store he worked?

I learned on INGO that pointing guns at people is not dangerous . . . from a gd gun store employee.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Preventing tragedies such as this has nothing to do with unloading guns or considering them loaded.

It's nonsense - a deception that keeps the body count climbing.

#1 ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This would have saved lives. It will save lives. All by itself. First. Last. ALWAYS.

Eet ain't low-dead.

You declined to answer my direct questions last time. Your nonsense response is inadequate and only perpetuates fatal errors of judgement. Let it go.

...You should either follow or stay out of my way. :yesway:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I don't want to imagine a reality where my daughter's head is the safest direction to point a gun.

So easily preventable. Tragic. :(

Preventing tragedies such as this has nothing to do with unloading guns or considering them loaded.

It's nonsense - a deception that keeps the body count climbing.

#1 ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This would have saved lives. It will save lives. All by itself. First. Last. ALWAYS.

You declined to answer my direct questions last time. Your nonsense response is inadequate and only perpetuates fatal errors of judgement. Let it go.

I'm not sure any rule would've saved this girl's life. This dumbass pointed a gun at his own ****ing kids, and pulled the trigger. Sometimes dumb is dumb and st00pid kills.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm not sure any rule would've saved this girl's life. This dumbass pointed a gun at his own ****ing kids, and pulled the trigger. Sometimes dumb is dumb and st00pid kills.

The corrective included this:

"Preventing tragedies such as this has nothing to do with unloading guns or considering them loaded."

Which tosses the mythical failure of "All guns are always loaded" directly in the dumpster where it belongs.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

No rule in and of itself can save anyone's life. The proper teaching of the right rules has the best chance of minimizing the chances of things like this happening. It's time to put the loaded versus not loaded part of firearms handling in the dust bin of history and treat them all the same for what they are: Dangerous instruments that can kill.

How about "Treat every firearm as if it might be loaded" or "Every gun might be loaded"??? One could make the argument that this might save more lives than old or new rule number one, which demonstrates how useless they really are.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This. All guns are always loaded, treat them accordingly every time. My daughter is a year older than the girl in this story, she is a shooter. I've found that teaching her, has made me a better handler of firearms.

All guns are not always loaded. I can easily prove this to anyone who cares to watch. I don't give a **** if you have a beard or wear a dirty baseball cap or think you're tacticool or whatever. Stop pointing your ****ing guns and stuff you don't want to shoot. Whether they are loaded or not. Whether you think they are loaded or not. Just ****ing stop. THAT is the golden rule. Whether you thought it was loaded or not is meaningless when you point it in an unsafe direction and pull the trigger.

And Kirk, where do you get the idea that it's OK to point an "unloaded" gun at anyone? Show me where you read this on INGO and show me who agreed and approved with the statement. You're a lawyer, back up your argument. You should be good at that. If you want to get your message across quit coming across like an elitist snob who thinks that everybody that screws up with a gun is some redneck hillbilly. It isn't working and it isn't getting your message across. I've met you and you're an allright guy. You truly want people to be safe with guns. I just can't understand your methodology. It doesn't register with me; it's become tiresome.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Maybe I associate words and actions differently, than most. Where I was going with my last post was not to get in a disagreement over verbage, but to point out the total incompetence of this guy.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Maybe I associate words and actions differently, than most. Where I was going with my last post was not to get in a disagreement over verbage, but to point out the total incompetence of this guy.

What if he wasn't stupid, but merely ignorant? What if his ignorance was based on flawed reasoning? What if his bad decisions were based one bad idea he'd adopted without ever really thinking through the matter for himself?

What if he could have corrected himself by having his beliefs challenged?

Might he have easily prevented this particular hell? Or was he just too stupid? How did he not murder his loved one before this?

Would it have been rude to reason with him at some point that preventing tragedies with guns has nothing to do with loaded status and everything to do with keeping them pointed in a safe direction?

It might have saved him from a far ruder correction and awakening, it might have saved his whole family.

Expose dangerous deceptions. They kill in more ways than one.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    How in the world could someone think that pointing a gun at their children and pulling the trigger would possibly teach anything constructive. I guess the boys do see how dangerous guns are after dad murdererd sis right in front of them.

This is way more offensive as a father than a gun owner.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't know what happened here, but the number of times people "clear the chamber" then remove the magazine is stunning.

I used to keep an overflowing coffee cup in here with rounds from "unloaded guns" brought in to trade....They hand me the gun, see that I am getting ready to open the action before I look at it, and say, "It's not loaded buddy" as a cartridge goes skittering across the counter top...I don't berate them...I look at them very seriously and say, "They are ALWAYS loaded..."

The best one was a a 10/22, SKS, and an Remington 870...All "unloaded".....I got ten .22 cartridges, five 12 gauge shells, and ten 7.62x39 out of that one...It overflowed the cup and that series got their own ziplock bag.....I remember the 12 gauge shell went flying and nearly went down her shirt....She told me she had kids in the house and would NEVER keep a loaded gun in the open around them...It really freaked her out but a lesson was learned...

I feel bad for the guy.....

Kirk's delivery may sometimes come across as strong and annoying to some but this is a subject that demands adherence......

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I used to keep an overflowing coffee cup in here with rounds from "unloaded guns" brought in to trade....They hand me the gun, see that I am getting ready to open the action before I look at it, and say, "It's not loaded buddy" as a cartridge goes skittering across the counter top...I don't berate them...I look at them very seriously and say, "They are ALWAYS loaded..."

A better way to respond would be to say, "That's why we ALWAYS keep them pointed in a safe direction."

Loaded/unloaded is of trifling significance and should never be considered the most important thing.

Teach them what to do first, last and ALWAYS, how to simply do it, and most importantly ...why.

Change your culture.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A better way to respond would be to say, "That's why we ALWAYS keep them pointed in a safe direction."

Loaded/unloaded is of trifling significance and should never be considered the most important thing.

Nope...That's just "another" way to respond....Not the "better" way...(IMHO)

All guns are loaded to me and I treat them as such....I was taught that at a young age...

Here is Mark Twain opining on the subject....

[FONT=&quot]"Don't meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don't have to take any pains at all with them; you don't have to have a rest, you don't have to have any sights on the gun, you don't have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Advice to Youth speech, 4/15/1882[/FONT]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    OMFG.

This is NOT a 4 Rules thing at all.

This wasn't ignorance.

This wasn't negligence.

He intentionally pointed it at each child's head and pulled the trigger.

This is way more than he is even getting charged with. Holy Hell in a handbasket.

I don't care how ****ing cool you think you are, don't point a gun at your kids.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nope...That's just "another" way to respond....Not the "better" way...(IMHO)

All guns are loaded to me and I treat them as such....I was taught that at a young age...

You cannot refute me by not getting this. You cannot refute me at all.

You can make a real impact and save lives or you can perpetuate a failure and watch the body count continue to climb.

Your choice.

Choices have consequences.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    OMFG.

This is NOT a 4 Rules thing at all.

This wasn't ignorance.

This wasn't negligence.

He intentionally pointed it at each child's head and pulled the trigger.

This is way more than he is even getting charged with. Holy Hell in a handbasket.

I don't care how ****ing cool you think you are, don't point a gun at your kids.

It was tragic negligence born of ignorance and unsound reasoning, plain and simple.

He was deceived.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You cannot refute me by not getting this. You cannot refute me at all.

You can make a real impact and save lives or you can perpetuate a failure and watch the body count continue to climb.

Your choice.

Choices have consequences.

I am not refuting you...I was taught from a young age to treat all guns as if they are loaded....I will continue to do so....I will not argue it...The males in my family have always followed that rule first...I am not aware of us contributing to a rising body count in any way shape or form....

Top Bottom