• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    It varies of course, but most of the non-leo or .mil guys in my classes have not been fully kitted out.
    1383365_165412940325946_860447660_n.jpg

The last class I attended with a carbine. Not a whole lot of "kit" going on. Should I not wear the 5.11 pants because they are more comfortable than my jeans?

Glad to hear there are courses out there that seem to focus on the skill over the tool.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with any one particular piece of gear or another. My point was that what you normally have is what you will most likely have. Train to that. If what you normally have doesn't meet your reasonable expectation of what you might encounter, change what you normally have, then train to that. If you have a red dot and light on your primary HDG, train with it. If you don't wear throat mikes and helmets around don't train with them.

These ideas are neither new nor originally mine but they are sound. History has shown us too many dead cops with pockets full of brass (revolver days!) or empty magazines (or not letting go of a clipboard during a gun grab). In encounters they acted as they trained but unfortunately they had trained differently then they wanted to act.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Glad to hear there are courses out there that seem to focus on the skill over the tool.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with any one particular piece of gear or another. My point was that what you normally have is what you will most likely have. Train to that. If what you normally have doesn't meet your reasonable expectation of what you might encounter, change what you normally have, then train to that. If you have a red dot and light on your primary HDG, train with it. If you don't wear throat mikes and helmets around don't train with them.

Totally agree.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So, I have to get rid of my throat mike and IR laser? WTF?

Could be worse. All I have is two cans and a really long piece of string. I suppose I could steal the baby monitor. How cool would that be to have at a carbine course?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    There was a day that the modern automobile or self contained smokeless powder cartridges weren't available either. Should we not use or rely on those things then?
    I seem to be quoted out of context. I'm NOT opposed to using the latest&greatest equipment. When "star trek" lasers and photon blasters become available I'll want one too. My point is that 'stock' guns with iron sights are NOT antiques but still basic viable equipment, and that one should stay familiar with them that way. Likewise, if you've got any "cutting edge" equipment that you intend to rely on it would be stupid not to train/practice with it, that just applies to your BUIS too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Train with hands, knives and handguns (in that order) cause that's what you are likely to actually HAVE when the need for self defense arrives.
    If I put my rifle into service for self defense, it'll likely be THE rifle with A spare mag in the back pocket of my jeans.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks like I need to train more from a supine position in a comfy reclining chair.

In the years I've been attending classes, I have noticed that some schools/instructors have classes where there are trends in the amount of gear the students use. In some, unless you look like a SEAL team 6 operator, you'll stand out like a sore thumb. In others, you'll see a lot of guys loading ARs from mags they carry in their pockets.

I remember my first (and last) experience with a particular instructor whose students would make good models for the tactical gear companies. One student was a commercial airline pilot with no military experience (and had not been through the program so he could carry on the plane) who had pretty much . . . everything on his person. He even had the sage green jumpsuit that some of the teams wear, with matching nomex gloves and desert combat boots. I had a Blade-Tech injection molded and a Wilderness nylon AR mag carrier in addition to my daily carry gear, plus a roly poly dump pouch to feed my rifle and pistol mag pouches. For a while, I did wear that Wilderness mag pouch and the folded roly poly on my belt all the time. The roly poly is really handy for a lot of things, by the way.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Looks like I need to train more from a supine position in a comfy reclining chair.

In the years I've been attending classes, I have noticed that some schools/instructors have classes where there are trends in the amount of gear the students use. In some, unless you look like a SEAL team 6 operator, you'll stand out like a sore thumb. In others, you'll see a lot of guys loading ARs from mags they carry in their pockets.

I remember my first (and last) experience with a particular instructor whose students would make good models for the tactical gear companies. One student was a commercial airline pilot with no military experience (and had not been through the program so he could carry on the plane) who had pretty much . . . everything on his person. He even had the sage green jumpsuit that some of the teams wear, with matching nomex gloves and desert combat boots. I had a Blade-Tech injection molded and a Wilderness nylon AR mag carrier in addition to my daily carry gear, plus a roly poly dump pouch to feed my rifle and pistol mag pouches. For a while, I did wear that Wilderness mag pouch and the folded roly poly on my belt all the time. The roly poly is really handy for a lot of things, by the way.

Were any of Yasar Arafat's bodyguards in that class meathead?

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Train with hands, knives and handguns (in that order) cause that's what you are likely to actually HAVE when the need for self defense arrives.
    If I put my rifle into service for self defense, it'll likely be THE rifle with A spare mag in the back pocket of my jeans.

I used to say something similar, now though I would rate it verbal, hands, handgun. I still work with knives and take classes, but I really just don't see them as a priority. Are they dangerous/deadly? Of course and you should be ready to defend against one. Outside of the prison system though in this country they are not that commonly used, especially by good guys. Add to that the fact that fixed blades are not legal in many jurisdictions and folders are problematic to access, (don't believe me? come to a managing confrontations class), and I am slowly but surely lowering knives on my priority list. I will always have one or more on me as a tool or last ditch weapon, but to actually plan on it being my primary, not so much.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I used to say something similar, now though I would rate it verbal, hands, handgun. I still work with knives and take classes, but I really just don't see them as a priority. Are they dangerous/deadly? Of course and you should be ready to defend against one. Outside of the prison system though in this country they are not that commonly used, especially by good guys. Add to that the fact that fixed blades are not legal in many jurisdictions and folders are problematic to access, (don't believe me? come to a managing confrontations class), and I am slowly but surely lowering knives on my priority list. I will always have one or more on me as a tool or last ditch weapon, but to actually plan on it being my primary, not so much.

+1.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Were any of Yasar Arafat's bodyguards in that class meathead?

It's possible! The vetting processes was irritatingly lengthy, but would have been easy enough to subvert.

The Italian cafe table cloths on their heads might have given them away, though. (was that "racist" or ethnocentric? Hmmm... possibly, yet still accurate).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At my age and physical condition I do not run and gun anymore. I can move but just not near as spry as I once was. Train as you live hits home with me.

Top Bottom