• Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    What BBI said I support 100%

Semi auto pistol male or female is for a person that wants to commit to training on a regular basis.
    All others need a revolving handgun.

What a load of crap. Anyone who owns a gun should commit to training on a regular basis. The type of gun has nothing to do with it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What a load of crap. Anyone who owns a gun should commit to training on a regular basis. The type of gun has nothing to do with it.

I think you're reading him backward. Neither of us is saying if you have a revolver you won't train, we're saying if you won't train you should get a revolver. Everyone should commit to training, very few actually do.

The person who isn't going to is better off with a revolver because they have a simpler manual of arms and maintenance requirements. A revolver will still function if you forget to lube it for two years. A revolver doesn't "hide" a cartridge in the chamber and require a trigger pull to break down. A revolver doesn't malfunction if you limp wrist it, etc. All things that are more friendly to the untrained/unpracticed.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A revolver doesn't "hide" a cartridge in the chamber and require a trigger pull to break down. A revolver doesn't malfunction if you limp wrist it, etc. All things that are more friendly to the untrained/unpracticed.

And to the trained and practiced as well....I just love them....I am carrying three today...Embarrassing but you saw that Model 13 with the cerakote, magnaporting, and bobbed hammer....I mean how could I not go three gun??? It's Saturday man...:)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I think you're reading him backward. Neither of us is saying if you have a revolver you won't train, we're saying if you won't train you should get a revolver. Everyone should commit to training, very few actually do.

The person who isn't going to is better off with a revolver because they have a simpler manual of arms and maintenance requirements. A revolver will still function if you forget to lube it for two years. A revolver doesn't "hide" a cartridge in the chamber and require a trigger pull to break down. A revolver doesn't malfunction if you limp wrist it, etc. All things that are more friendly to the untrained/unpracticed.

I agree with this totally. Some people (all should) will learn every aspect of their firearm. Some, in reality, will not. The simplicity of a revolver is a better match for those. Easier to master it operations and its failures.

Semi-autos can FTE/FTF with multiple causes and solutions, all of which - to that person that really doesn't train sufficient AND consistently over time - can have somewhat complex solutions compared to a revolver. A revolver goes bang or doesn't!

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Model 13 with the cerakote, magnaporting, and bobbed hammer

And to the trained and practiced as well....I just love them....I am carrying three today...Embarrassing but you saw that Model 13 with the cerakote, magnaporting, and bobbed hammer....I mean how could I not go three gun??? It's Saturday man...:)

duck, you got me thinking..I have an old Model 10--4" that's got the last of the three listed..Time to do some checking on the first two items...???..Bill.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but some of this talk smacks of the "revolvers are for ladies because they're idiotproof" that I was told multiple times when I was shopping for my first gun.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I read the whole post and I think you are. The majority is about different techniques and different semi auto guns. The only real suggestion about needing a revolver was for a male or female that didn't want to train.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but some of this talk smacks of the "revolvers are for ladies because they're idiotproof" that I was told multiple times when I was shopping for my first gun.

Not at all directly towards ladies - directed towards how in depth one wants their knowledge of firearm operation to be.

For a first gun, a revolver is an excellent choice regardless of age, sex, etc.

What is really fun at the range, is when my petite wife goes center ring with a scoped 44 magnum revolver beside the big burly dude shooting a 9mm compact semi-auto. Makes me smile!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I have had women tell me that when I recommend a revolver for them...."Oh it's because I am a woman right?"

I then lift up my shirt (not far, just so they can see the Smith), reach in my drawer and lay out the two or three I have with me and say, "No....It's because they work, are simple, and not too busy...I have been shooting forty years and carrying for thirty years....." I then smile and say, "Are you calling me womanly?"

That brings a chuckle and then I explain why "I" carry and like a revolver.....

I get mad when gun shop guys try to sell me an automatic just because I am a guy...."You know Gramps all of the cool guys carry a high cap Glock...Are you trying to get yourself killed??? Do you still ride a horse to work?????:)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    duck, you got me thinking..I have an old Model 10--4" that's got the last of the three listed..Time to do some checking on the first two items...???..Bill.

Just me Bill but I wouldn't worry about magnaporting a .38.....And (IMHO) There is something classy about a well worn model 10....The bobbed hammer is cool though...Is it D/A only or can you still get her to lock up in S/A?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have had women tell me that when I recommend a revolver for them...."Oh it's because I am a woman right?"

I then lift up my shirt (not far, just so they can see the Smith), reach in my drawer and lay out the two or three I have with me and say, "No....It's because they work, are simple, and not too busy...I have been shooting forty years and carrying for thirty years....." I then smile and say, "Are you calling me womanly?"

I get mad when gun shop guys try to sell me an automatic just because I am a guy...."You know Gramps all of the cool guys carry a high cap Glock...Are you trying to get yourself killed??? Do you still ride a horse to work?????:)

Glad to know that gun sales guys can be equal-opportunity jerks. Gramps... (almost as bad as 'honey') ;)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You are sporting an officers size 1911 yes.....they have serious recoil springs.

My main gun is actually a smaller model...the Springfield Ultra Compact (made in the early 90's based on the serial number) but it is a 1911 style frame and fairly heavy. When I first got it, I could not rack it well at all. Now, it's a piece of cake. I just picked up an XDS a couple of weeks ago that is much lighter for carrying but I haven't had a chance to practice with it yet. Still a .45 but definitely lighter...comparable to my airweight revolver when on my hip.

I should be out there now playing with it since it is 40 degrees here, but I have bread in the oven and pies to make while that is baking....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Glad to know that gun sales guys can be equal-opportunity jerks. Gramps... (almost as bad as 'honey') ;)

Oh I am a "honey, darlin'" saying guy...I worked for a mortgage company and our underwriters were out in California...I was needing help from an underwriter and I said, "Honey you reckon ya'll can get the approval on this loan so we can close today?"

Dead silence...

"I do not appreciate being called "Honey" and you keep saying "Yes Ma'am, no Ma'am" and I don't appreciate that either..."

I ponder a minute and then played my Hillbilly Race card...

"I sure enough am sorry ma'am but that's the way we are brought up...It goes all the way back to the British Isles and is the way us Scots Irish Hillbillies talk...It's part of my culture...You...are...not...mocking my culture are you? Or trying to change us into something we are not??? Because I always thought you California folk were all about respecting other cultures....I am a little hurt.....And confused...Can you patch me through to HR???"

"Oh no sir...I am sorry...No need...Please accept my apology..."

"Apology accepted Darlin' and I hope you have a blessed day....Sweetie pie..."

True story Snap, ca 1997 when working at the Greenwood Money Store....:)

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Well...do you ride a horse to work?? I bet you do. If not, I bet you want to.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    But you're not the patronizing type, Indi... Worst case of it was when I was shopping for a cargo van years ago when we did flea markets. I was browsing the lots on my lunch hours. I kept getting "Honey, what's a little lady like you want with a big ol' truck like that?" I literally bought my big ugly one-ton Chevy van from the first guy who would get out of his chair and walk out to the lot with me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I went through the same thing with a friend in her early 60s. Scared to death of ANY gun but she still wanted to get one. She had her LTCH long before she ever fired a shot.
    She couldn't pull the slide, couldn't hold the gun, couldn't keep her eyes open, yadda yadda yadda. Even swept a couple of sales clerks when looking at guns. I busted her ass good on that one. Figured we'd get the 4 rules drilled in her long before she fired the first shot.
    It took a few trips to gun shops looking at different types of weapons to familiarize her a bit.
    Her very first shot ever went into the ceiling at the range. FEAR of a weapon. I loaded a dozen or so mags with one round to see how she'd do.
    She found out the danger in a gun is in the handler. By the end of the range trip she was putting every round in a 3" group at 10 yards, safety etiquette was excellent, and now she's the proud owner of a half dozen semi handguns (including pink, pale blue, and purple 938) and one Ruger .44mag revolver "cause it's badazz"
    Her EDC now is a Glock 19c. She's good with it.
    My mom WAS the same way. She couldn't work the slide on a worn out Glock 17 I picked up for her. I bought it for the capacity.
    After a couple of trips in the back yard she can hit man size targets in the torso area consistently. She CAN rack the slide with ease or could have before she fell and broke her wrist and thumb and a couple other fractures causing her discomfort when she sits.
    As Kut says... It's mostly mental.

Technique...practice....and DETERMINATION matters!

Many times, it's determination that matters most...followed closely by utilizing proper technique (which often needs to be taught / learned appropriately) and then practice, practice, practice!

When people are afraid of...have no experience with...or are not familiar with something brand new to them, it takes a bit of patience to work with them to
    a) help them become familiar with the item (in this case, a pistol),
    b) help them worth through and understand the proper safe-handling techniques that need to be practiced EVERY TIME they handle the item (gun),
    c) and practice the safe-handling techniques...until they are familiar with it and, as a result, become comfortable with it, and can shoot it safely and accurately every time!

In the situation where my mother, several years ago, decided she wanted a light-weight handgun to carry with her during her daily walks...which happens to be out in the country.

Over time (and several discussions) it became clear that a lighter round (.22 WMR) in a light-weight, DAO revolver was the better fit for her and I recommended the Ruger LCR in .22WMR for her.

It's a light-weight carry revolver...the .22 WMR round has mild recoil yet 'decent' penetration capability...is accurate...but it has, and most-importantly here, 'pull-point-n-shoot' capability!

With a better, full-fingered grip...it's an awesome little revolver in an older person's hands...and provides for a degree of safety and comfort for someone who spends time alone out where something 'could' happen...where there's no one else around to stop it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Interestingly...my most recent purchase was a older (1990 production) stainless Taurus 85 revolver .38 special...that was still in the plastic factory wrapper!

At 21' / 7m it puts the first round on the 'X' on the target with Hornady 158 grain JHP/XTP's...and the remaining four shots tend to follow the first!

I grew up with revolvers and I love revolvers and, while I have several items to choose from and typically I CC a Glock 36 .45, there're times when I'll throw on and CC a revolver...including the new (to me) .38!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

What's wrong with a horse?

rgaited55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2015
    Portland
    The Walther CCP is a great gun for those that have issues racking the slide. The downside is that it is harder to take apart to clean and reassemble.

Top Bottom