Travel in Europe...Improvised weapon ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    You guys are the best...thanks for the info. I do believe that to live life fully, one must take some risks. I have traveled in dangerous places alone..(on a bus, through the interior of Mexico) , but having my wife along changes the game a little. On the bright side, she is strong,intelligent and very athletic. We will be fine, but I am always thinking ahead!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you're in Germany, buy some Lederhosen, lol. You may carry a traditional knife when wear them. I don't know this is by law or custom, but it is an accepted practice. You might look like a nerd in leather shorts, but you'll have a knife.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you're in Germany, buy some Lederhosen, lol. You may carry a traditional knife when wear them. I don't know this is by law or custom, but it is an accepted practice. You might look like a nerd in leather shorts, but you'll have a knife.

And in the UK Sikhs are allowed to carry a fixed blade.
    Just wear a dastar and the cops should let you carry a knife.

Good reasons for carrying a knife or weapon

Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
    • taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
    • if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry

Four years in prison in the UK if caught carrying an illegal knife ...

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and an unlimited fine. You’ll get a prison sentence if you’re convicted of carrying a knife more than once.The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and an unlimited fine. You’ll get a prison sentence if you’re convicted of carrying a knife more than once.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Funny how they will let Sikhs carry knives, because their religion tells them to carry a knife to be able to protect themselves and others ... but won't let citizens of other religions, or without religion, carry a knife for protection. :rolleyes:

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Lots of good ideas given. Let me try to summarize and then add my take. If you think you're good enough with a knife to use it effectively "in extremis" then know the knife laws for where you intend to travel ahead of time. Take it with you in your checked luggage or know where you can buy it when you get there. And do your homework like your life depends on it. Because, duh . . .

For those who are into escrima and other forms of stick-work; expandable batons are legal [or were legal] in parts of the EU. Homework again. In Great Britain [which is actually now Lesser England] these are, I believe, banned. But in the larger metropolitan areas the Brit with Umbrella stereotype is alive and well. Umbrellas sturdy enough to use as a bo are affordable and more easily found locally than traveled with in checked luggage.

Back to edged weapons: God Bless the French, sword canes and sword umbrellas are still legal there and the quality can be quite astounding. Check out the models available from Fayet and Herdegen. I know they can be pricey; even extravagant for some. But you can spend just as much on a meal at one of Paris' trendy restaurants. It's all about priorities. If at all possible visit the city of Thiers, the traditional center of French knife making. You can have one built for you while you wait. And pick out the style, blade and handle materials while talking to the knifemaker himself. Something special.

The coin sap is always a good choice, but must be carried discretely or a sharp-eyed officer will recognize it for what it is. (no braided paracord hanging out of a pocket for the quick draw) Intent to go armed is, I believe, illegal in most of the UK. Never put yourself in a position where the opinion of an officer is enough to get you in trouble. Personally I think everyone should have one, if only to keep your loose change corralled. The more common and accepted they are the less attention they draw. Feed the Grey Man vibe.

Last, my :twocents: . No matter where you go or what level of dress is appropriate you can always get away with wearing a thick leather belt with a heavy metal buckle. It makes an effective flail when held by the buckle end. Held by the tag end it's an effective to excellent impact weapon depending on the weight and shape of the buckle (think Cowboy rodeo buckle here). Those of you with martial arts training think sarong (Fillipino arts, used with both hands), manriki-gusari (Japanese arts {yes, its not chain, but. .}] and sjambok. Depending upon their billet; old school Sailors and Marines will be familiar with this technique as well. It's hard to beat the classics.:@ya:

Hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas. Bon Voyage and good luck.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Getting on and off of aircraft through security will be an issue. I carry sturdy steel shafted pens and a bullet proof clipboard due to my many deployment locations. It's not ideal but it's generally allowed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As people consider improvised weapons, keep in mind that in some of those locations, using an improvised weapon or defending yourself at all could result in significant legal issues for you.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As people consider improvised weapons, keep in mind that in some of those locations, using an improvised weapon or defending yourself at all could result in significant legal issues for you.

Just defending yourself in many of these areas is an issue...no matter what you use.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    And in the UK Sikhs are allowed to carry a fixed blade.
    Just wear a dastar and the cops should let you carry a knife.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Funny how they will let Sikhs carry knives, because their religion tells them to carry a knife to be able to protect themselves and others ... but won't let citizens of other religions, or without religion, carry a knife for protection. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... I can see it now "Disciples of Full Auto"...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When I was in France I bought a small flip knife with a corkscrew to open a bottle of wine when I was visiting Versailles. You know, sipping some wine, eating some cheese, and enjoying the gardens with some South Africans.

Fast forward to Rome. I'm trying to tour the Colosseum, ya know, where gladiators fought with EVERYTHING, and they wanted to take my little 3" blade because it wasn't allowed.:facepalm: In the COLOSSEUM. Gladiators, lions, etc. But no little blades with a corkscrew. They tried to impound it.

At that point I explained that it was a souvenir, raised my right hand, and swore that I wouldn't slaughter any Christians, Jews, or lions while visiting the Colosseum or anywhere else in Italy. At that point they stared at me for a moment, looked at one another, and gave me the knife back, smiling.

This was right after 9/11. There hadn't been time yet to get all wound up.

Depending upon where you go there will be security checks to varying degrees of intensity. The more terrorist attacks there have been since then I'm betting security has gotten tighter in some areas.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards,

Doug

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Bandana and a small master lock make a good sap. I have been in Eastern Europe and taken a golf club grip, 550 cord and duct tape. Add fishing weights or wet sand, tape end and you have a great sap. After use, rip off tape and toss weights, you have a harmless rubber grip.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Coin sap is an interesting idea. I travel abroad frequently and am not even comfortable with a small pocket knife as laws/interpretation can change quickly in certain regions of certain countries.

Curious what the serious gun group thinks about these “key chains” that seem to be sold at every gun show??

02ECB885-0E1C-4CC3-A813-0C52DE83613A.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Coin sap is an interesting idea. I travel abroad frequently and am not even comfortable with a small pocket knife as laws/interpretation can change quickly in certain regions of certain countries.

Curious what the serious gun group thinks about these “key chains” that seem to be sold at every gun show??

View attachment 67774

What does TSA think of them?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

View attachment 67774

Terrible idea, and "weapon" IMO.

You will never have time to grab your "keychain" and slide two fingers into the holes during an attack.
    You should learn how to punch (closed fist or open hand) if you plan on hitting people.
    In some places (maybe even in some US states) they are sill legally considered "brass knucles", even if they are not made of metal.Soyou could get in trouble for having those.

They also have sharp edges for the most part, that will cut your attacker just like with a knife ... and get you in contact with some potentially bad stuff (blooborner pathogens).

Some are poorly designed, with some thin plastic and they will most likely dammage your hand if you hit someone with one of those.

They will also keep you from grabbing things with your hand since you can't easilly drop them, which can be both good and bad sometimes.

You can't easily grab/hold a knife/gun/etc if you're already holding yours.

A knife or a flashlight would be a much better option.
    Legal everywhere and it's useful also for when you're not hitting people in the face

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    This makes sense. Thanks for the longer list of thoughts on these. I wouldn’t think it would be an issue with TSA since it would be checked, but the last post brings up a lot of common sense.

A heavy mag type light seems to make the most sense.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Invest in a good quality handheld light. No stabby bits on it please. I have carried my SureFire LX2 in Mexico and Canada. Take it on the plane with me. Carry it into schools and courthouses. It is a flashlight. I have never hit anyone with it but I have used it quite a bit as a light. It has seen a lot of use since I purchased it probably 8 years ago. Best $150 a person can spend.

TSA won’t let heavy mag lights on a plane, no mace on a plane, no kitty key rings on a plane, no knives on a plane. Coin sap??? Seriously buy a SureFire that uses 2 CR123 batteries, little to no crenellation, rear activated tail switch and that can hit full power with one press of the button.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    TSA won’t let heavy mag lights on a plane, no mace on a plane, no kitty key rings on a plane, no knives on a plane. Coin sap??? Seriously buy a SureFire that uses 2 CR123 batteries, little to no crenellation, rear activated tail switch and that can hit full power with one press of the button.

See post #12. Coin saps are good to go for air travel.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    See post #12. Coin saps are good to go for air travel.

So are flashlights unless they are deemed to have stabby bits that are too large. Ink pens are also OK but I would be hesitant to try pocketing a pin with a metal pointy piece. My point is that is a TSA agent recognized a coin sap for what it is then it may or may not be a problem. I mean who really carries an funky shaped coin purse.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So are flashlights unless they are deemed to have stabby bits that are too large. Ink pens are also OK but I would be hesitant to try pocketing a pin with a metal pointy piece. My point is that is a TSA agent recognized a coin sap for what it is then it may or may not be a problem. I mean who really carries an funky shaped coin purse.

I do pretty much every day. My house key and alarm fob are on the "coin purse" and then I grab whatever car key I need for the day. And I've not had a problem with it at any security checkpoint. If I'm feeling extra paranoid, I put the coins in a pocket in a pocket in my laptop bag and then load it up in the bathroom after the TSA checkpoint.

One reason I prefer blunt over stabby/pokey. Less likely to require medical attention, less likely to come to the attention of the authorities, less likely to be seriously investigated IMO.

Top Bottom