• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What kind or brand of stand do you like and why?

My first was a Summit Climber, I used it for a season and traded it away for a gun. I will have another someday.

My next was a hang-on and sticks that I got from Dick's at the end of the season sale last year. Used it a couple of times this season, but didn't really care for the climbing sticks (being a heavier guy).

Sold that combo and picked up a 16ft ladder at Dick's. Like it so far, nice wide ladder and pretty easy to set up. I swapped out the little ropes that wrap around the tree and added a another ratchet strap to the stand and it's pretty solid.

I plan on getting more stands for next season to be more versitale with the winds and such.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I tell you what I just picked up a Big Dog stand that is different from some of my other ones. It is a ladder, 16', shooting rail, nice padded seat. Got it for the wife, she is kinda picky on what she'll hunt out of....can't blame her I guess, peace of mind means a lot.

We had it put up in less than 5 mins. Seriously, well worth the $75.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I prefer my API Grand Slam Lite climber that I've had for longer than I can remember. It's like part of the family. LOL! This year I did buy a few lock-on stands, and have split my time between them and my climber. I still have to say that I prefer the versatility of a climber.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I tried the hang on stands last year with the sticks and the little square seat hurt my rear. I buy the big dog stadium XL ladder stands at MC Sports in Bloomington. They are 16 feet and have the rail. The platform is big and so is the seat. I got them for around 89.00. They run sales all the time on them. Dimesions wise equal to the field and stream 120.00 stand.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    I have a loggy bayou climber, not sure what model, its ok but also the only climber I've ever used. We (my dad and I) have various hang on's - usually something found on sale. I have also welded up alot of hang on's - I like to make them bigger and beefier. We buy some climbing sticks when on sell. Also I weld up my own climbing sticks, 20' and 24' - way better than store bought.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Summit Bullet climber. Folds flat for packing. I added the foot stirrups for ease of climbing. It's like taking your Lazy Boy up in the tree. Very comfortable if you get it set up properly and very secure. No problem sitting in it for an all day hunt and plenty of room/security to stand up, change clothes, etc.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    For climbing stands I have own both the API Grand Slam Supream and the Summit Viper. Both have their goods and bads , both are very good stand

I perfer a stationary stand and I like the BIG DOG ladder stands , Im a big guy and they have plenty of room and plenty of height with solid platforms

when you get older you will understand

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    4173_1063034139057_1322087296_30143803_4563839_n.jpg

I use a gorilla ladder stand. I like the foot platform that is suspended by cables so I can fold it against the ladder and lock it to prevent others from using it and it is more for thieves to cut to get to the chains and locks I have around the tree. I hunt public land.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I mainly use a Viper XL Summit Climber I can easily sit 10 hrs. If I was to buy another it would be the Goliath by Summit. I like the 20' Sky Box ladder stands also. For me the higher the better. I quit using ladder stands and lock ons several years ago because they kept getting stolen. Now I'm getting fat and older it's harder to get up and down the tree with the climber day in and day out. I'm off for 2 weeks every year just to be in the tree from sun up to sun down and it gets tough with the climber but its my favorite.

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    4173_1063034139057_1322087296_30143803_4563839_n.jpg

I use a gorilla ladder stand. I like the foot platform that is suspended by cables so I can fold it against the ladder and lock it to prevent others from using it and it is more for thieves to cut to get to the chains and locks I have around the tree. I hunt public land.

LOVE this idea!

The land I hunt has several permanent tree stands, 2x4s, etc built in to some of the hotter areas. We also have 5-6 cheap ladder stands scattered throughout.

I picked up a Gorilla climber last year on sale for $99, and I like it a lot. Comfortable enough to sit in all day, light too.

Top Bottom