• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've got a summit climber that has been to the woods once. 95% of my hunting is out of a lone wolf lock on. We hang em in august and pull em asap after season. I hate ladder stands with a passion. Deer do too, ever have a big old smart Doe follow the ladder up with her eyes and bust you? I have. Lone wolfs are expensive but you get what you pay for. They are rock solid and NEVER MAKE A SOUND!! Most of our sets stay up through season but I do have one set aside with a set of summit bucksteps strapped on ready to hit the woods. This setup is extremely versatile and quick. No need to hunt for a straight tree without limbs!!!

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I used to use only lock-ons and screw in steps. I would have several set up around my hunting property about 20' high.

The older I get, the less I like climbing around like a contortionist trying to get into a stand, I now use 16-20' ladder stands. I leave them up year round.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I have a Summit viper that I really like. I am contemplating upgrading to the hanging seat as opposed to the inflatable one that came on it. Otherwise it has served me well for almost ten years. Don't try to fix what ain't broke is what I say!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I picked up a Summit Goliath SD last night at MC Sports on sale.

I can not believe how light and quiet this stand is and rated for 350 pounds.

May have to do a review on this one.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Its hard to beat a Summit. Any stand you can comfortably set in for 8 to 10 hours,I use to have an API Outdoor Predator that was comfortable to ,but it wasnt as quite and was a lot harder to set up. You'll love the Goliath. Take something to eat and drink and you can camp out all day. I have a bad back and its the most comfortable I've ever owner.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    summit

I've used a summit open shot for several years now for bowhunting. I'm only 200# so it's comfortable and lightweight enough for me. I have heard good things about lone wolf. I own their climbing sticks and they work pretty well. I just can't justify the price for a climber that they want.
    I'm thinking about pulling the 6 ladders and a couple of hang-ons I have on the place and selling the lot. PITA to maintain and move. I've shot the last couple of deer in gun season from the ground.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I started out using a summit viper climber and loved it but traded it for a boat and last year I went out and bought a new gorilla climber and its just as comfortable as the summit and a lot cheaper. Got it at Gander on sale for like $80. Im going to look into getting a summit open shot or a similar model for bow hunting next season.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    Just picked up an older API Bowhunter model and LOVE it! It's a bit narrow, but extremely secure and has a nice sized platform to stand on. I'll be in it until my butt gets too fat to sit in it. ;)

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    after christmas discounts

Fine collection of ladders from Menard. Pick them up after christmas for half price.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have a mixed bag of chain on or strap on stands. Not loyal to any one brand but Gorilla's are nice. I like cheap because I have several out. I use 10-12 screw in steps for all my stands. Been doing this since 1988. I like sucking up close to the tree. I have used a climber a couple times but didn't care for it. I like concealment in a tree.
    I do have an old Windwalker by Loc On, one of my favorites for an impromptu hunt.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I have a summit stand that I absolutely love for all day rutt hunting and gun season, but for bow season I picked up a Lone Wolf stand from Gander Mtn. They are spendy but if you have to hike out to your hunting spot, they are super light, very stable and the rubber strap makes them very quiet. you can get two different kinds of seats, one with a pivoting bar you can sit on to climb and one that is simply a sit. The seat without the bar makes it tougher to climb and doesn't afford the same comfort with arm rests. I've been using one for bow season for the last three seasons and absolutely love it!

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Ladder stand, don't know the brand. Make sure y'all use some kind of harness. Hate to hear people breaking their legs because they got excited and recoiled themselves over the edge.

Top Bottom