• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Things can get 'sketchy' in the woods. Be careful out there.

Truth.

Keep your head on a swivel, mag loaded, and thumb on the safety. You should be doing that anyway, but between idiots and cougars (the predatory cat kind), it's good to self-preserve one's existing levels of ventilation.

-Nate

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I always carry my pistol when down on the property.

Truth.

Keep your head on a swivel, mag loaded, and thumb on the safety. You should be doing that anyway, but between idiots and cougars (the predatory cat kind), it's good to self-preserve one's existing levels of ventilation.

-Nate

Absolutely good advice that the OG and I both practice. The elder child gets to carry too. Strength in numbers, ya know.

We've not caught anyone on the property ... yet. But we only have two of four borders exposed, two sides are county road, which I think helps. The exposed sides are low risk - I know the guy that owns the property to the south and he knows where the line is (hard to miss because it's a High Tension line right of way). I have not met the owner of the property to the west, but from what I've heard they keep to themselves and we've made a point to be obvious with new property markers and activity.

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Last year I started carrying my Shield while I'm hunting with my muzzle loader. I mostly have it because where we hunt and camp, in HNF, I feel better having it. I carry while I'm hunting, because I won't leave my pistol in the truck. I've had some say that you can't carry a pistol during muzzle loader season, and that you can't carry a 9mm in any deer season. But others have said it's fine. I've read the regs and I've read the hunting guide and it's not as clear as you'd think on that point.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    That's an interesting sentiment, and I could see it being correct, but I'd like to see the part of Indiana code or Legal Precedent that says that is the case.

I may have weapons and flashlights in my vehicle at the same time, same as on my person.

By that logic, one could not have a weapon and use the headlights.

Again, not saying you are definitely wrong...but I'd like to see that law.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    That's an interesting sentiment, and I could see it being correct, but I'd like to see the part of Indiana code or Legal Precedent that says that is the case.

I may have weapons and flashlights in my vehicle at the same time, same as on my person.

Here you go, I googled it for you;

Spotlighting—It is illegal to spotlight any wild animal from a vehicle while possessing any firearm, bow, or crossbow. ... Indiana Firearms Regulations—No license is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloading firearm (including muzzleloading handguns). You must have a permit to carry and/or hunt with a handgun.

Indiana Game Laws | Indiana Hunting License Study Guide for ...

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I hunt 47 acres my FIL has given me permission to hunt. The neighboring property is leased out to a couple douche bags that get confused on property lines. They have signs up pointed to where I hunt but cant mange to stay behind them. This year they didn't explain to me I was hunting on "their property" I cleared that up last year. But they did put a tree stand up right in front of my ground blind and opening morning I was pissed off looking at that orange hat floating above my blind. I decided opening morning wasn't gonna work out and set up a shooting range in the field near where I have that ground blind. Last time I checked that blind the stand was gone.

"Sorry, I need to check my zero real quick. Forgot to do it yesterday!"

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I got a text from a neighbor asking me to bury the gut pile for any deer that I kill. The reason is her dogs eat the guts and get worms. I did create a gut pile this year, thank you, but it was well inside my property lines. So I wonder why hers dogs are on my property eating my gut piles and worms. I'll be nice and talk to her about it, besides I park in her driveway while I'm hunting.

Worms are easier to treat than lead poisoning.....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    unless you are using a light from your vehicle at night

Assuming you are not taking/chasing, nor do you intend to take/chase wildlife firearms are good to go in the 2 following scenarios.

In the car using the car's headlight is GTG with firearm. Out of the car using any source of light is GTG with a firearm.

Citations:
    1. If you want to spotlight deer, ensure that you are out of your vehicle or use your headlights.

Alrighty then, let's look at the statute:

IC 14-22-6-7

Jacklighting prohibited

Sec. 7. (a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency who:
    (1) is acting in the performance of the employee's duties; and
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's action.
    (b) A person may not knowingly throw or cast the rays of any spotlight or other artificial light:
    (1) not required by law on a motor vehicle; and
    (2) in search of or upon any wild bird or wild animal;
    from a vehicle while the person possesses a firearm, bow, or crossbow, if by throwing or casting the rays a wild bird or wild animal could be killed. This subsection applies even though the animal is not killed, injured, shot at, or otherwise pursued.
    (c) A person may not take any wildlife, except furbearing mammals, with the aid of illumination of any spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light.
    (d) A person may not shine a spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take, or assisting another person to take a deer.

2. You need not be a poacher to enjoy spotlighting deer. Maybe you have nephews to entertain, just get out of the car.

Just because you are male does not make you a rapist. Just because you are an IMPD officer does not make you a drunk driver.

Just because you are spotlighting deer does not make you a poacher.

3. I enjoyed spotlighting/"shining" deer this summer at Spring Mill. My nephews and I had a very nice time.

If a DNR CO wants to give me crap about carrying my guns, I'll tell him to jam it sideways.:D

and this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...potlighting-deer-while-possesion-handgun.html (PS. Ignore the noob that tries to argue legal code with a lawyer and myself and then realizes he's arguing legal code with a lawyer and bows out)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sorry Hkindiana, his answer is better.

Pretty clear, and dealt with the headlight item I mentioned.

-Nate

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have the best trespasser story. Went out to check on the property (live about 40 miles away) in the spring. Mostly farm ground with a section of woods.

Enter the woods and notice what looks like a hen turkey. Not unusual as we have them in droves. Seemed weird it let me walk towards it but still about 50-80yds away. Then I notice a hunter who hadn't seen me yet. I was quartering from over his shoulder. Not wanting to get shot I yelled over to him. He was NOT happy.

He gets up and comes over to me and starts going off about ruining his turkey hunting. He tries to interrogate me, the property owner, about why I am on the property, who gave me permission, etc. As one can imagine I was not amused and turned the interrogation around.

Turns out he is from about 20 miles away and had bought an advertised hunt on Craigslist! After a little more questioning I figured out it was the no good neighbor trespasser we have kicked off repeatedly who placed the ad, collected the money then set this poor schlep out on my property.

I called the sheriff, the CO and sent a letter to the IRS detailing the income this nob certainly wasn't paying taxes on.

This is the same neighbor who set up a stand on my property, locked it on then called irate that he wanted it back after I cut the lock and took it home. This is the same neighbor who then set up a tower stand 1 inch from the property line and within 40yds of a permanent stand we have had up for decades.

Same neighbor who dumped three dead cows over the fence onto our property.

Same neighbor who drove his 4 wheeler through the standing corn to make a mile long race track.

Same neighbor whose pop up blind was found on our property.

Same neighbor who has been busted by the CO for poaching.

Same neighbor who dumps his beer and soda cans on our property.

My brother collected 20 garbage bags full of human hair from the barber shop and placed it in piles along the property line by his stand. We also hung three large tarps in the trees next to his stand so he could not see onto our property from his newly erected stand. I wish I could have found pink tarps!

That's only some of the issues.

He lives there, we do not.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I thought I had it bad with mushroom hunters trespassing. I have been on my property for a year, I am in the process of getting the woods cleaned up and posted.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the best trespasser story. Went out to check on the property (live about 40 miles away) in the spring. Mostly farm ground with a section of woods.

Enter the woods and notice what looks like a hen turkey. Not unusual as we have them in droves. Seemed weird it let me walk towards it but still about 50-80yds away. Then I notice a hunter who hadn't seen me yet. I was quartering from over his shoulder. Not wanting to get shot I yelled over to him. He was NOT happy.

He gets up and comes over to me and starts going off about ruining his turkey hunting. He tries to interrogate me, the property owner, about why I am on the property, who gave me permission, etc. As one can imagine I was not amused and turned the interrogation around.

Turns out he is from about 20 miles away and had bought an advertised hunt on Craigslist! After a little more questioning I figured out it was the no good neighbor trespasser we have kicked off repeatedly who placed the ad, collected the money then set this poor schlep out on my property.

I called the sheriff, the CO and sent a letter to the IRS detailing the income this nob certainly wasn't paying taxes on.

This is the same neighbor who set up a stand on my property, locked it on then called irate that he wanted it back after I cut the lock and took it home. This is the same neighbor who then set up a tower stand 1 inch from the property line and within 40yds of a permanent stand we have had up for decades.

Same neighbor who dumped three dead cows over the fence onto our property.

Same neighbor who drove his 4 wheeler through the standing corn to make a mile long race track.

Same neighbor whose pop up blind was found on our property.

Same neighbor who has been busted by the CO for poaching.

Same neighbor who dumps his beer and soda cans on our property.

My brother collected 20 garbage bags full of human hair from the barber shop and placed it in piles along the property line by his stand. We also hung three large tarps in the trees next to his stand so he could not see onto our property from his newly erected stand. I wish I could have found pink tarps!

That's only some of the issues.

He lives there, we do not.

I would be making more regular trips down there.

Possibly an Ingo OC cookout/shoot. Those a simply amazing.

Top Bottom