• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    We had this on our place. It's a family owned farm of 100 acres. I'm the only one who hunts it.Our western boundary is another place of about 120 acres . Was owned by an old gentleman who was very nice and we got along great. He told me to retrieve any deer that crossed the line and I could cross his property to get to some of our property (the property is L shaped). We had it surveyed years ago and all we ever did was to repaint the surveyor stakes every couple years. All was good. Then the old fellow passed away. His stepsons live in Indy and we are in Jennings Co. I went over one day to check my stands and his stepsons had marked "their " property with no trespassing signs every 20 yds. That's their right, I have no problem with it BUT most of their signs are from 10 -20 inside out property line and they nailed them to a lot of market trees. They knew the line because a lot of them were in sight of the surveyor stakes. I had to go back with a hammer and carefully pull the nails so as to not damage the trees. I know technically I was wrong but I then renailed the signs to their trees inside their line, so yes I was trespassing but whatever.Fast forward a couple years and the grandson and I are on out stand which is sight of the line. Opening day and we hear voices. Here comes walking thru the woods the two stepsons, talking and yapping it up. I hollered over to ask what they were doing. Squirrel hunting they yelled back. I guess it takes all kinds to keep the world from being boring.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had this on our place. It's a family owned farm of 100 acres. I'm the only one who hunts it.Our western boundary is another place of about 120 acres . Was owned by an old gentleman who was very nice and we got along great. He told me to retrieve any deer that crossed the line and I could cross his property to get to some of our property (the property is L shaped). We had it surveyed years ago and all we ever did was to repaint the surveyor stakes every couple years. All was good. Then the old fellow passed away. His stepsons live in Indy and we are in Jennings Co. I went over one day to check my stands and his stepsons had marked "their " property with no trespassing signs every 20 yds. That's their right, I have no problem with it BUT most of their signs are from 10 -20 inside out property line and they nailed them to a lot of market trees. They knew the line because a lot of them were in sight of the surveyor stakes. I had to go back with a hammer and carefully pull the nails so as to not damage the trees. I know technically I was wrong but I then renailed the signs to their trees inside their line, so yes I was trespassing but whatever.Fast forward a couple years and the grandson and I are on out stand which is sight of the line. Opening day and we hear voices. Here comes walking thru the woods the two stepsons, talking and yapping it up. I hollered over to ask what they were doing. Squirrel hunting they yelled back. I guess it takes all kinds to keep the world from being boring.

I trust you turned them back.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    No, they were on their side of the boundary. I may not like it and common courtesy would say they should be considerate of me but the law says they can do what they want on their side of the line. I've killed a lot of deer out of that stand and over the years and maybe 3 have crossed over but I was able to go get them. Now ? I don't know. The boys live in Indy and rarely come down. I can't ask them to retrieve a deer so if it comes up I guess I'll just go get it.It was simpler when the old man was alive

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, they were on their side of the boundary. I may not like it and common courtesy would say they should be considerate of me but the law says they can do what they want on their side of the line. I've killed a lot of deer out of that stand and over the years and maybe 3 have crossed over but I was able to go get them. Now ? I don't know. The boys live in Indy and rarely come down. I can't ask them to retrieve a deer so if it comes up I guess I'll just go get it.It was simpler when the old man was alive

:thumbsup:

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have the best trespasser story. Went out to check on the property (live about 40 miles away) in the spring. Mostly farm ground with a section of woods.

Enter the woods and notice what looks like a hen turkey. Not unusual as we have them in droves. Seemed weird it let me walk towards it but still about 50-80yds away. Then I notice a hunter who hadn't seen me yet. I was quartering from over his shoulder. Not wanting to get shot I yelled over to him. He was NOT happy.

He gets up and comes over to me and starts going off about ruining his turkey hunting. He tries to interrogate me, the property owner, about why I am on the property, who gave me permission, etc. As one can imagine I was not amused and turned the interrogation around.

Turns out he is from about 20 miles away and had bought an advertised hunt on Craigslist! After a little more questioning I figured out it was the no good neighbor trespasser we have kicked off repeatedly who placed the ad, collected the money then set this poor schlep out on my property.

I called the sheriff, the CO and sent a letter to the IRS detailing the income this nob certainly wasn't paying taxes on.

This is the same neighbor who set up a stand on my property, locked it on then called irate that he wanted it back after I cut the lock and took it home. This is the same neighbor who then set up a tower stand 1 inch from the property line and within 40yds of a permanent stand we have had up for decades.

Same neighbor who dumped three dead cows over the fence onto our property.

Same neighbor who drove his 4 wheeler through the standing corn to make a mile long race track.

Same neighbor whose pop up blind was found on our property.

Same neighbor who has been busted by the CO for poaching.

Same neighbor who dumps his beer and soda cans on our property.

My brother collected 20 garbage bags full of human hair from the barber shop and placed it in piles along the property line by his stand. We also hung three large tarps in the trees next to his stand so he could not see onto our property from his newly erected stand. I wish I could have found pink tarps!

That's only some of the issues.

He lives there, we do not.
    I was going to suggest post #21 but it sounds like you’re dealing with professional jerks, in which case it probably wouldn’t faze them.

My condolences.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    After I started living on my land the troublesome neighbors simply moved their stands and blinds to the edge of the property line and hunt over my ground. Heard ATV noise yesterday evening and went out to investigate, sure enough one of the blinds was occupied. Waited about 100 yards away watching until the hunter got out and left after flipping me the bird. Can't understand why they just don't move the blinds 100 yards away from the line back inside their property, it's not like you can see any further in the woods here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After I started living on my land the troublesome neighbors simply moved their stands and blinds to the edge of the property line and hunt over my ground. Heard ATV noise yesterday evening and went out to investigate, sure enough one of the blinds was occupied. Waited about 100 yards away watching until the hunter got out and left after flipping me the bird. Can't understand why they just don't move the blinds 100 yards away from the line back inside their property, it's not like you can see any further in the woods here.

They are showing you who is in charge I would think. They are going to hunt your ground regardless. I wonder how they would respond to the same treatment.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They are showing you who is in charge I would think. They are going to hunt your ground regardless. I wonder how they would respond to the same treatment.

I am still liking the idea of cutting down the trees with the stands while they are occupied.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    In the past when I would find stands, cameras, and blinds on my ground I would dismantle them. It's a pretty easy track job to find where they crossed over the line and I would just dump the parts there. I haven't found anything on my ground for some time, they just moved right next to the border. ATV trespassers from the cell tower easement were a problem in the past, solved with a fence and the law being made aware of their access point. Haven't had trouble with them for some years.

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    Dont let the idiots keep you from owning a piece of land. I live in a rural county, own land and a lot of my friends do to. Trespass is always a problem especially if you have good habitat and they know you aren't there all the time. Just have to deal with it and not let it ruin your enjoyment of hunting and managing your own property. As with anything don't let the idiots get you down.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My hubby enjoys setting stands facing theirs directly across the line from theirs. He also places a No trespassing sign on a post on the line directly in front of each and every stand on our border.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My hubby enjoys setting stands facing theirs directly across the line from theirs. He also places a No trespassing sign on a post on the line directly in front of each and every stand on our border.

Is it not against the rules to hunt like that. Obviously looking into private posted property.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Is it not against the rules to hunt like that. Obviously looking into private posted property.

They should not be shooting across the property line if the animal is on the other property unless they have permission from the owner of that property. Posting the sign clarifies where the boundary is and posting it makes it impossible for them to claim they did not know where the line was. It is illegal to harass them while hunting, but there is no law that says we can't hunt on our property and if that is a prime spot, why wouldn't we want to hunt there???? :D

Top Bottom