• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They have this happen at work pretty regularly, with video evidence you shoot be able to shoot thieves on site.

I crawled under my GMC before I signed the papers, the salesman asked me what I was doing and I told him I wanted to see how easy it would be to steal the cats. On this model I don't believe it's possible. They're difficult to even see much less access with a sawzall and if a thief had initiative and a drive to work they wouldn't be thieves.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We've been running about 3 weeks behind at work. Finally pushed in an F150 Friday. Raised it up to pull the trans out and guess what looks freshly cut out. No idea when it happened as we're getting to the work about 3 weeks after it's been there.

Will have to deal with this on Monday and didn't feel like breaking the news to the customer about this Friday half hour before quitting time.

kyleburns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2021
    Greenwood

Trooper Arrests Two for Theft of Catalytic Converter​

Indiana State Police sent this bulletin at 08/27/2021 02:56 PM EDT
    Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.​

State Police Header Image 3

INDIANA STATE POLICE
    BLOOMINGTON DISTRICT
    1500 N. Packinghouse Road, #200
    Bloomington, IN 47404
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE​

Sergeant Michael Wood
    Public Information Officer
    812-332-4411

DATE

Trooper Arrests Two for Theft of Catalytic Converter​

Yesterday morning, Trooper Jeremy Cox had just left the Indiana State Police Post and had turned north on Woodyard Road from Vernal Pike in Bloomington when he observed suspicious activity by two men in a red Dodge truck parked alongside a black GMC SUV that was off the roadway and had been left abandoned.

Trp. Cox observed a cloud of dust coming from the GMC as Nicky D. Wright, 52 years old from Martinsville, was reaching into the fender well area of the vehicle. A second suspect, Richard P. Vanskiver, 63 years old from Martinsville, was sitting in the Dodge truck, that was parked next to the GMC. As Master Trooper Mark Clephane and Senior Trooper Kent Rohlfing arrived to assist, the investigation revealed inconsistencies with the two men's stories, damage consistent with the theft of catalytic converter along with the presence of the tools involved in the alleged theft. Both men were transported to the Monroe County Jail on the following charges,
    • Auto Theft, Level 6 Felony (2 counts)
    • Conversion, Class A Misdemeanor
    • Criminal Mischief, Class A Misdemeanor
    Arrest photos may be obtained from the Monroe County Jail
    Lt. Paul Bucher, Commander of the Bloomington District, commended the work of the Troopers as this type of crime has spiked recently, "We continually see this crime occur within our community as the prices of precious metals rise and our Troopers are well trained in detecting the behaviors of suspects that prey on other people’s misfortunes." Lt. Bucher also stated, "We would like to remind the public to be vigilant of their property and report any suspicious activity alongside our roadways."
    All criminal defendants are to be presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
    -30-
    WOOD​
    State Police section divider
    Talked with someone at the 1500 yesterday who has seen a team working in Indy that has a pretty sophisticated process worked out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We've been running about 3 weeks behind at work. Finally pushed in an F150 Friday. Raised it up to pull the trans out and guess what looks freshly cut out. No idea when it happened as we're getting to the work about 3 weeks after it's been there.

Will have to deal with this on Monday and didn't feel like breaking the news to the customer about this Friday half hour before quitting time.
    Did you check the rest of the vehicles in your lot?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Did you check the rest of the vehicles in your lot?
    Yeah. That was the only 1. Mostly cars in the lot so those are much harder.
    It amazes me too because the shops on one of the busiest roads In the city and the police station is literally 1 block away

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The theives in the OP were doing this roadside, right down the road from the state police post.
    Brazen that's for sure.

None of the vehicles In our lot are more than 20 feet from the road and there's plenty of lighting as well. So they're highly visible

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Brazen that's for sure.

None of the vehicles In our lot are more than 20 feet from the road and there's plenty of lighting as well. So they're highly visible

I wonder if its like the tweeked out meth heads stealing copper? Not sure which way is up, much less where they are?

Or maybe there is a lot more catch and release going on than we hear of?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I wonder if its like the tweeked out meth heads stealing copper? Not sure which way is up, much less where they are?

I'm sure it's a combination of both

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I saw someone at RK in Martinsville a year or 2 ago with a truckload of cats and someone else that appeared to be buying them. Called it in as suspicious activity & was hung up on, made a post about it here.

Glad to hear about thieves being arrested.
    No wonder those goons from Martinsville were all the way down here stealing cats.

They've already picked Morgan County clean?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

I believe that drug addiction fuels a large percentage of all thefts that occur. An addict will let nothing get in the way and their next fix.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I remember reading a year or two ago in the local news about a man who was found crushed to death under a car in Gary. The police concluded that he was stealing a converter and the jack supports he had rigged failed on him.

Last edited:

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    This is epidemic level in Houston, especially for Prius's. I had to buy my son one and have it shipped to him. They make a plate for undercarraige that makes it a deterrent.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Talked with someone at the 1500 yesterday who has seen a team working in Indy that has a pretty sophisticated process worked out.
    Was it me? By the way, welcome to INGO. Click the link below and introduce yourself to the group.

Top Bottom