• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    This wasn't kids. It was old guys from Martinsville.

I'd like to know where they are selling the converters. Last I heard, that was restricted? Maybe I'm mistaken?
    When you see “old dudes“ like that it is usually career criminals. They probably have several pages of arrests going back to the 80’s or 90’s. Crime is a way of life for them unfortunately for the rest of use.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    We've been running about 3 weeks behind at work. Finally pushed in an F150 Friday. Raised it up to pull the trans out and guess what looks freshly cut out. No idea when it happened as we're getting to the work about 3 weeks after it's been there.

Will have to deal with this on Monday and didn't feel like breaking the news to the customer about this Friday half hour before quitting time.

It would be a good bit of fun to set a bait car out there with a fence charger clamped on to the exhaust and a trail cam zip screwed somewhere. :whistle:

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I saw someone at RK in Martinsville a year or 2 ago with a truckload of cats and someone else that appeared to be buying them. Called it in as suspicious activity & was hung up on, made a post about it here.

Glad to hear about thieves being arrested.
    I would have hung up you too. Wait, were they all barn cats, or some of those exotic hairless kinds?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Here's a headline: OLD DUDES STEAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER!!! I mean the get-away driver is 63. The guy with the (the name of whatever tool you use to steal catalytic converters here) is 52 (not that 52 is old...)

If journalism wasn't dead this would be in the local Martinsville paper next Tuesday:

Get-away driver and local miscreant Richard Vanskiver yelled from the back of the State Trooper's cruiser, "Old dudes are out stealin catalytic converters because the young folks with their fancy computers are stealin identities and such!! These young whipper-snappers can't even drive a stick-shift!

Well, the 52 year old is HTV-Life so he didn't want to get in trouble (again) for driving... 2 pages of mycase stuff, including burglary and typically doper stuff.

Might have been a no file on the 63 year old, I don't see anything for him and his only priors are two traffic tickets, the most recent being 19 years ago. Maybe he didn't know what his younger buddy was up to, or at least there was insufficient evidence to say he was.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, the 52 year old is HTV-Life so he didn't want to get in trouble (again) for driving... 2 pages of mycase stuff, including burglary and typically doper stuff.

Might have been a no file on the 63 year old, I don't see anything for him and his only priors are two traffic tickets, the most recent being 19 years ago. Maybe he didn't know what his younger buddy was up to, or at least there was insufficient evidence to say he was.

Maybe they figured that, with the scamdemic, it was worth the risk?

They might die before their case came to trial? Or speculate that jail crowding might keep them out indefinitely?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe they figured that, with the scamdemic, it was worth the risk?

They might die before their case came to trial? Or speculate that jail crowding might keep them out indefinitely?

From his history, the 52 year old is an addict and thief doing what addicts and thieves do. Steal stuff to fund their addiction. There's no forethought to consequences there.

The older guy may legitimately have had no idea what was going on. "Give me a lift to meet my buddy" sort of thing. Or something could have changed in his life, but you very seldom see people at that age without a criminal history suddenly get one.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    From his history, the 52 year old is an addict and thief doing what addicts and thieves do. Steal stuff to fund their addiction. There's no forethought to consequences there.

The older guy may legitimately have had no idea what was going on. "Give me a lift to meet my buddy" sort of thing. Or something could have changed in his life, but you very seldom see people at that age without a criminal history suddenly get one.
    I was thinking of the older dude, giving in to the younger one telling him the likely outcomes of getting caught? And, he might just be right in liberal Monroe county?

Although it might backfire on him? They might just let the habitual offender meth head go and throw the book at the older white guy with no record?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This wasn't kids. It was old guys from Martinsville.

I'd like to know where they are selling the converters. Last I heard, that was restricted? Maybe I'm mistaken?

You can chemically separate out the platinum if you're familiar with chemistry and have enough free time on your hands.

Having no experience, I can't say how much is really there to be recovered.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You can chemically separate out the platinum if you're familiar with chemistry and have enough free time on your hands.

Having no experience, I can't say how much is really there to be recovered.

Cody's Lab did that on YouTube some years ago and it was hugely not worth the effort.

Now... He didn't start with a pile of complete cats, he started with dust he swept up by the side of the road (which contained a shocking amount of cat dust), which could have changed the results. But... If I remember correctly, the chemicals and processing required more money than the resultant valuable metals.

Who buys that though?

I think any scrap metal dealer would be happy to take it, but you can do it online too.

Gotta get rid of your old grill somewhere. :dunno:

1630374826579.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was thinking of this case again today. Old man's charges were dismissed on 12/13. Younger man's FTA for his pre-trial and has a warrant.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was thinking of this case again today. Old man's charges were dismissed on 12/13. Younger man's FTA for his pre-trial and has a warrant.
    Looked at the online docket. As to the old guy, no motion to dismiss, dismissal without prejudice, apparently by agreement...methinks that someone is expected to give testimony helpful to the prosecution in someone else's trial.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    You are correct, sir! Recent change to Indiana code on selling catalytic converters as scrap was in the news lately. I guess the pride of Martinsville didn't get the memo.

Not to sure about the ability to exhibit comprehensive reading skills for some here in Martinsville. :cool:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom