• ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Must have been a hell of a :poop:.

OK, I really didn't want to post here but I hadn't used the :poop: in a while :D.

I'm glad this thread hasn't went all to :poop:

Also glad nobody really has gotten :poop:'y over this thread.

So now that I got that :poop: out of my system I can go read some other threads.

Last edited:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Opinions about the officer aside....

"Bathroom training" is something that is not addressed in police firearms instruction, and very rarely addressed in CCW courses. It's easy for all of us to berate others who forget their guns in the bathroom, but it's something most of us don't give a thought to until we actually find ourselves standing in a public bathroom stall with a gun.

There is a rumor out there - and perhaps we have the most wonderful Sheriff Campbell to blame for this, lol - that all police receive some sort of stellar firearms training, and that they are all somehow the ultimate benchmark in professional gun handling and practices. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In our urbanized society, many police recruits have never even touched a gun pre-academy, and the only instruction they will ever get is whatever the standards and practices of their state or city have determined to be adequate. I have yet to hear of an academy that has a "how to go to the bathroom with your gun" section in their firearms training program. Perhaps it gets mentioned in passing, but it's far from anything that anyone has developed a practical procedure for and instituted as policy, and they certainly have not made "dry runs" (pardon the pun) to the bathroom with recruits and their guns.

It's even worse when it comes to the rest of us.

Public bathrooms pose a multitude of problems, especially for men. Women's restrooms (generally) at least have a hook on the back of the stall door for a purse to be hung, men's restrooms usually don't. So, we're left with the first problem of "where do I put this thing when I sit down?" Often times it gets set on the toilet tank, or stuck in the handicapped hand rail holster and all. And separating yourself from your gun is then where the problem begins, especially when it's something you have on a belt all day and don't give a second thought to. It is very easy to forget you separated yourself from it under such circumstances.

Women rarely loose a purse - they have a personal relationship with their purses, and they carry them all day by the strap or in a hand. This keeps it in the forefront of their thoughts. We (men) have no such relationship with our pistols - it's not in our hand all day.

Some opt for the "set it in your underwear" method, but that poses it's own problems. 1) keeping the pants high enough so the gun can't be seen under the door. 2) I still have to do something with this gun when I pull my pants back up. It also can pose a problem for women depending on if they use panty liners or not (something I'm sure some of the guys out there fail to consider when they recommend it to others)

Then we have the issue of some stalls not having what I would consider the most privacy oriented gaps between the door and the rest of the stall. We think we're operating all stealthy, yet people can still see you handling a pistol if they happen to be standing at just the right angle. So, this starts to limit our "storage" options even more.

Personally, I travel a lot, and some wise guy can suggest that I never use a public bathroom, but I would reply with my own thoughts about what he can do with his suggestion, since being on the road for 12-hours means I'll be using a public bathroom. And even for those who don't travel, sometimes, for circumstances beyond any of our control, we simply have to use a public bathroom. You can try not to, but I doubt in anyone's lifetime they will be able to completely avoid ever having to use one. And even so, you still have to figure out what to do with your gun when using the bathroom at the homes of friends and relatives. And even if you don't, YOUR WIFE WILL.

So, I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this other than to say that perhaps a rush to judgment on this should be avoided, and that we all really consider the totality of the circumstances.

I have my own mental check list when I use a public bathroom, and I try to impress upon my students the same practice, but they and I are not the norm. Again, most people haven't given it a thought until the actual moment they have to deal with it.

Last edited:

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    A few years back a county sheriffs deputy left his weapon in restroom at a high school function and he ended up losing his job over it. I'm not saying this is what needs to happen because it is the kind of thing that has happened before and if he is fired it will stick with him the rest of his life. But by the same token I have never in my entire life misplaced my hand gun.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    what kind of holster are these guys using ? how the crap (heheh) could your firearm come out . does it happen when they drop there pants ?
    i've herd of this happening from time to time , but i've never under stood how it happens .

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Just a little backround info on Pat White. One of his daughters is a cop and carries a glock(he spoke about it on the show today). So it doesn't surprise me that he sided with the cop on this one. He also has the chief of police on his show quite often and I'm sure he doesn't want to strain that relationship.

Pat White is pretty much all over the map on many issues. The guy sways with the changing of the wind. He repeats himslf CONSTANTLY on his show, it's annoying. I can't take a guy seriously that talks about serious local and national issues, then about American Idol, Dancing with the stars, the movies, then trys to sell me a bed and a water purifyer. OK, so I listen to the show...but the guy pisses me off. His call screener Red is a complete Beotch as well.

IF a kid had gotten hold of this and something terrible would have happened, this guy would have lost his job and someone would be getting sued. That didn't happen(although could have if luck wasn't on his side, this time). At a MINIMUM, this guy should be repremanded and the force should get some training on how to drop the kids off at the pool without losing their sidearm.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Just a little backround info on Pat White. One of his daughters is a cop and carries a glock(he spoke about it on the show today). So it doesn't surprise me that he sided with the cop on this one. He also has the chief of police on his show quite often and I'm sure he doesn't want to strain that relationship.

Pat White is pretty much all over the map on many issues. The guy sways with the changing of the wind. He repeats himslf CONSTANTLY on his show, it's annoying. I can't take a guy seriously that talks about serious local and national issues, then about American Idol, Dancing with the stars, the movies, then trys to sell me a bed and a water purifyer. OK, so I listen to the show...but the guy pisses me off. His call screener Red is a complete Beotch as well.

IF a kid had gotten hold of this and something terrible would have happened, this guy would have lost his job and someone would be getting sued. That didn't happen(although could have if luck wasn't on his side, this time). At a MINIMUM, this guy should be repremanded and the force should get some training on how to drop the kids off at the pool without losing their sidearm.

Its wednesday in a few days so you know what that means.....yup pizza hut night.

Oh and your never gonna believe a story I got about a cop and the bathroom, I got the skinny comin up next. Its WOWO Pat White.

Thats basically how his show goes for those that dont listen to him.

So back to this cop and his lost gun. I understand mistakes happen no one is perfect thankfully no one was hurt, he should be punished though.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I feel for him.

I'm sure the trooper will get punished but nothing will be worse than the :whip: he will receive from the other troopers. He will never live it down.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Geesh people. He made a mistake. Albeit a serious one.

He should be disciplined, but certainly not lose his job.

I sure wish I were perfect...
    If I left my weapon laying in the crapper where I work, I would be fired insantly. I am far from perfect, but I always check and double check, and even triple check when my weapon is involved. Sometimes, after all that, I even check again.;)

meldusty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    The Trooper made a mistake. This mistake will haunt Him for his career. I feel sorry for him as anybody could of done it but because of his position he will pay dearly. As an ex LEO I do believe we have a right to expect more from our Professionals. I am glad the incident ended safely.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I've known soldiers who lost their weapons and didn't get fired.

Bu have heard of officer's that forgot to "order" ammo for an exercise and got in a world of trouble...

Or people on millitary aircraft that get in a hurry to get off the bird and leave their weapon...... One guy I work with knew a crew chief on a C-130 that he worked with that found an M60 on his bird when everyone rushed off.......... Pilot said he could keep anything he found haha.

Top Bottom