• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ok, so first let me start by saying I normally shoot precision ARs.
    That being said, I cannot seem to keep what I would consider a decent group with my SOCOM II at 100 yards. What kind of groups should I expect with it? Is there some trick to shooting one of these that I am just missing? I have only put about 60 rounds through it (original owner said he sent a few mags downrange and I believe him, though who knows??), but it is about to make the WTT/WTS forum. The thing is I love this gun, I love the feel of it and all that so I would much rather figure out what an acceptable group is, or how to shoot it better--you know, than to ditch it. The perfectionist in me, however, not happy... :dunno:

Any advice or experience with these?
    Thanks

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    ViperJock what kind of groups are you getting, and with what ammo?

This is not really a fair comparison, these 2 platforms, and it would take a big investment in order to make the M1A shoot the groups you are used to seeing.
    You said your AR's are precision target guns.
    The Socom is basically a close quarters combat weapon. That's not to say that it shouldn't be reasonably accurate, but 1" or sub 1" groups aren't going to happen easily and maybe never.
    In a way that is like comparing my as-issued 03A3 to my scoped, bull-barreled 22-250.
    The 03A3 and the Socom in stock, factory form were not built to meet the accuracy requirements that you are used to having.
    If on the other hand you are getting say 3.5" to 4"+ groups at 100 yards, you have issues.
    Someone mentioned gas system mods and that is a good place to start once you establish that you are starting with a good trigger group and your op rod is in proper alinement with the gas piston.
    There can be a lot involved in wringing accuracy out of one of these. Myself, if it shot less than 3" groups I would leave well enough alone and be satisfied with a close quarters combat rifle.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Right. So lets just say that I would be pretty happy with 3" groups. I put some 168g reloads through it last night. I have bought some hornady factory 168s but was gonna "get on paper" with the cheaper stuff first. So I do recognize that some of it might be ammo, but in all fairness I put a sub moa group with an FN FAL using the same stuff, so it can't be that bad?

I am planning to look over the site links in the 2nd post, but I can't get them to load at work. I would really like to get this gun tightened up since I love everything else about it so I am willing to put the effort in if it can be accurized, but this is my first M1 so I appreciate the advice on where to start...

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Change out the spring guide for a NM string guide. That should at lease cut off a inch on your groupings. Also if you plan on shooting higher grade ammo than surplus or ball you can change out the gas piston to a NM piston. That should help too. Your barrel is too short of that rifle to get under 2'' without major cash flow for a trigger job and a new stock. Yes it true you can get under 2'' with other rifles for less but the M1A have too many moving parts.

Here is a link to a review on increasing accuracy of a M1A Scout. The Scout has a 18 inch barrel and he was able to increase that accuracy too a avarage of .82''.

Anymore questions let us know.

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Socom front and rear sights are sometimes tricky to use past 50 yards. Supposedly the same front sight from a Scout will work for the Socom and a smaller rear apperature would compliment a finer front sight well. I can expect 5"(slightly less on a good day) from mine using SA from sitting at 100 yards, DAG goes less and Privi M80 equivalent seems to do a little better still.

Top Bottom