• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Anyone have experience with installing a leveling kit?

How did it change the ride for you?

would like to keep the stock look so are leaf blocks good or bad?

any before and after pics welcome!

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    What truck are you looking to level?

I have leveled a Ford explorer with torsion bars and it stiffened the ride some. Have also leveled a f150 with strut spacers and nothing in the rear and it didn't really change the ride.

I'm not really a fan of putting blocks in the rear. Level just the front to bring it to the rear height. Any more puts excessive wear on the front cv shafts if it is it's

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I put a 2" level spacer on an 05 F150. I loved the look and was able to fit 33" tires under it(33 x 12.5 x 18). The ride didn't change at all at least not until I put on BIlstein shocks on then it got a little bit stiffer. With that truck I still had about 1/2" rack towards front. It didn't take much weight in the bed to make it look like the rear was squatting tho.

I currently have a 13 silverado and have been resisting the urge to level it. The only reason I'm resisting is that it will lead to larger tires and probably a programmer to adjust the speedo. I have kids now and it's hard to justify spending the money on a DD. Even though it did look pretty good

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    What truck are you looking to level?

I have leveled a Ford explorer with torsion bars and it stiffened the ride some. Have also leveled a f150 with strut spacers and nothing in the rear and it didn't really change the ride.

I'm not really a fan of putting blocks in the rear. Level just the front to bring it to the rear height. Any more puts excessive wear on the front cv shafts if it is it's

2017 z71

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I put a 2" level spacer on an 05 F150. I loved the look and was able to fit 33" tires under it(33 x 12.5 x 18). The ride didn't change at all at least not until I put on BIlstein shocks on then it got a little bit stiffer. With that truck I still had about 1/2" rack towards front. It didn't take much weight in the bed to make it look like the rear was squatting tho.

I currently have a 13 silverado and have been resisting the urge to level it. The only reason I'm resisting is that it will lead to larger tires and probably a programmer to adjust the speedo. I have kids now and it's hard to justify spending the money on a DD. Even though it did look pretty good

Your ford looked good. That's what I'm try to stay away from is the squat with a load and keeping a smooth ride. If you read the 4wheel sites there are answers all over the map.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not sure on these trucks if you can do it or not, but on my FJ, I was able to put Bilstein 5100 Adjustable struts on the front ( https://www.bilstein.com/en/product/bilstein-b8-5100-ride-height-adjustable/ ) and use those to level the front out and remove the rake (FJ's sit about 1.5 - 2 inches or so lower in the front than the rear when stock). (I put non adjustable 5100 shocks on the back just because I needed new shocks in the rear, but not to do any rear lift)

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I wouldn't think 1" taller blocks in the rear would matter much. You might be able to add air bags or helper springs in the rear to help with sagging. Could also compromise and just do a 1" level

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

2017 Z71 what, you give us absolutely nothing to work with, you ask for help and don't even tell us what you need help with.

The Z71 package is offered on the Colorado, Silverado, and Silverado 2500/3500HD, all very different.

I will go out on a limb and guess you have a 1500 Silverado and my answer would be to buy the Bilstein leveling shocks, if those are to much money then pick the cheapest coil tower spacers you can find as they all do the same thing. Don't forget to get a allingment afterwards.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    2017 Z71 what, you give us absolutely nothing to work with, you ask for help and don't even tell us what you need help with.

The Z71 package is offered on the Colorado, Silverado, and Silverado 2500/3500HD, all very different.
    I will go out on a limb and guess you have a 1500 Silverado and my answer would be to buy the Bilstein leveling shocks, if those are to much money then pick the cheapest coil tower spacers you can find as they all do the same thing. Don't forget to get a allingment afterwards.

Sorry about that but you guessed right. 1500 Silverado z71.

Do you care to explain the con's when going the cheap route as in leveling vs lifting?

Bilstein leveling shocks compared to RC spacers, why Bilstein. Thanks for your input.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Because the Bilstein shocks offer 3 different height positions vs one with spacers. The Bilsteins offer a better/safer ride as there is no longer brake dive, sway, or uncontrolled rebound. You will find the stock shocks suck so this kills two birds with one stone although this is a expensive route as you should get the matching rear shocks.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Because the Bilstein shocks offer 3 different height positions vs one with spacers. The Bilsteins offer a better/safer ride as there is no longer brake dive, sway, or uncontrolled rebound. You will find the stock shocks suck so this kills two birds with one stone although this is a expensive route as you should get the matching rear shocks.

Agreed. It is a different beast but I love the ride that the Bilstein's provided on my FJ. Less nosedive and less body roll on corners, etc. Again, not the same thing as the pickup, but a definite improvement over OEM suspension for me.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Leveling kits are ok unless you actually put stuff in your truck, then it doesn't take much and you're driving around with your nose in the air which looks silly.
    and please if you do level it, adjust your headlights, too. most skip this step and either don't realize or just don't care that to the rest of the world it looks like you're driving around with your brights on.
    -rvb

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Leveling kits are ok unless you actually put stuff in your truck, then it doesn't take much and you're driving around with your nose in the air which looks silly.
    and please if you do level it, adjust your headlights, too. most skip this step and either don't realize or just don't care that to the rest of the world it looks like you're driving around with your brights on.
    -rvb

Point well taken with the headlights.

so have you leveled a truck with spacers or shocks and did the ride change much for you?

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

So does Bilstein shocks front and rear with the front slightly raised, and a set of air bags on the rear for towing sound reasonable? No loss in ride quality?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    So does Bilstein shocks front and rear with the front slightly raised, and a set of air bags on the rear for towing sound reasonable? No loss in ride quality?

No airbags unless they are needed, if you are not loaded down or towing heavy they will not be needed.

Ride quality will be improved, slightly firmer but much more controlled.

Top Bottom