• ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    OK, so here is the question...

There are many opinions on the "savings" from reloading your own ammo. I have been doing so for 30 years and do believe thee is a substantial savings and also did not feel the need to panic when ammo became scarce and spiked in price.

But, this is the question. For those of you that downplay the savings from reloading in terms of the value of "your time" , do you place a value on "your time" when you pursue other activities? Like watching a football game on tv for 3 hours, going fishing, etc..

Just a question.....:dunno:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm not a reloader, yet. I plan to get into it soon. That said, the value I place on my free time is doing whatever I want to do, be that riding, shooting, reloading, whatever.

If I find reloading as enjoyable as I think I will, I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    did not feel the need to panic when ammo became scarce and spiked in price.

That right there is the main reason I reload ! $500.00 in primers & powder will go much further than if it was spent on factory ammo. :D After that, I would say quality, then would come savings.

I put a value on my time, if it is something I didn't enjoy. Being I actually enjoy reloading, I can't say I figure that in.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Having a family and friends time is very valuable. That being said I cannot put a price on it. However I do not put a price on time used by activities that are fun. When I start to reload I will use it as a relaxation period and therefore cost of time used is of no concern to me. It's just part of the hobby. All the time I spent on cars was the same-I did it because I enjoyed it.

Now if I was changing your oil in your 1976 Ford F250 that is covered in mud and stink then my time just got real valuable.:D

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I've been reloading since 1977 and look at reloading as a hobby in itself. Canning gives us inexpensive and good tasting food even though it takes more time than going to the grocery and buying it off the shelf. Same with doing you own yard work. It takes time out of your weekend, but is rewarding if you have the time. The only time I buy factory ammo is for defensive carry. I don't think I have shot a round of factory target ammo in decades and with the amount I shoot I have saved enough to buy several more guns. And that's a good thing...:yesway:

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    With my job and my inability to sleep more than5-6hrs max, I used to find myself channel surfing or internet surfing but realistically bored out of my cotton picking mind from midnight to around 3am.

So thanks to INGO and my uncle, I have been melting and fluxing lead and making ingot bars and half cup cake sized bars as well. (wife wasn't happy about the latter) I have a 20 some year old 10lb Lee melting pot that has the bar going in the middle of the pot for the spout, so I can't just drop a huge 3 or 4pound chunk of lead in it.

While waiting on my dies and bullet mold, I have casted 336 bullets for my Father's 357. Will probably cast more bullets for him tonight after the wife and kids go to sleep.

But anyways, Its a new found hobby that I love to do at the moment. Not only does it keep me occupied, but it passes the time where I have to be somewhat quiet and knowing that I am saving oodles and gobs of money just makes it that much sweeter. So therefore, I think my time is paid in full.

I still have roughly 50-60lbs of lead chunks to melt down into more convenient ingots, Plus I traded an old pachinko machine that was collecting dust and in my way all the time for 3 5gal buckets of wheel weights!

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Yup do alot of casting. I've got molds coming in, in the next 3 mo out the wazoo I'll be playing with

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I've been reloading since 1977 and look at reloading as a hobby in itself. Canning gives us inexpensive and good tasting food even though it takes more time than going to the grocery and buying it off the shelf. Same with doing you own yard work. It takes time out of your weekend, but is rewarding if you have the time. The only time I buy factory ammo is for defensive carry. I don't think I have shot a round of factory target ammo in decades and with the amount I shoot I have saved enough to buy several more guns. And that's a good thing...:yesway:

you're exactly right...reloading is a hobby within a hobby. I get off work, get a shower (mines are dirty places to work) and off I go to the shop.
    I used to love my garden as much as reloading, till we moved where we're at now. All shade no sun, poor garden so I gave it up.

As for the yard work, I got my wife trained.....she mows, pulls weeds and loves every minute of it. I absolutley hate it, used to tell everyone, I'd rather pick beans or corn off the deck than mow the yard.
    She likes it...let the grass grow let her mow, I sure wont complain.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My answer to your question is I make my compromise of time to savings ratio is to buy progressive presses.

The biggest mistake I've made in reloading was to not buy a dillon 650 the day it came on the market,

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    But, this is the question. For those of you that downplay the savings from reloading in terms of the value of "your time" , do you place a value on "your time" when you pursue other activities? Like watching a football game on tv for 3 hours, going fishing, etc..

Absolutely. My free time is valuable.

In the past, when 9mm was $99 a case of 1,000 rounds delivered (wolf) it wasn't worth it to me.

Today, I reload .45acp and it is well worth it. I'd have to run my calculations again but I can reload 400 rounds of .45acp in an hour and it works out to me making over 40 dollars an hour. My time is definitely worth $40 of take home an hour.

I can also reload faster than 400 an hour, but 400 is a nice pace and I'm not rushed.

Not to mention my reloads are far more accurate than the crap you get from wolf or winchester white box.

I'd be reloading some other calibers but I don't have dies for them yet.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    OK, so here is the question...

There are many opinions on the "savings" from reloading your own ammo. I have been doing so for 30 years and do believe thee is a substantial savings and also did not feel the need to panic when ammo became scarce and spiked in price.

I only value my time if I'm doing work for someone else. When I'm reloading, it's for me and I actually enjoy doing it. Almost as much as I enjoy shooting the ammo I reload. So I guess the answer is no, I don't value my time for reloading... :yesway:

The way I figure, if you're going to value your time for reloading, you are doing it the wrong way. It's supposed to be a hobby, not a job.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Not to thread jack but I'm very interested in starting to reload but have no idea of where to being..... What is the initial startup cost(press, brass, powder, primers, dies, lead, reloading manuals)? I'm looking to start reloading only 45acp to start out..... I know the overall savings will pay for everything quickly with how much I like shooting, I just don't know how much to put back for everything necessary to start reloading.....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a monitor sitting in front of my reloading table so I can watch Netflix while I reload. It may not seem like a lot of savings to some, but I consider $6 per box to be well worth it. Not to mention the pride of making my own rounds. A single stage press is slower, but I did not have a bunch of money to get started. I also am very limited on room. Lastly, I wanted to learn the steps by themselves, and there is less chance of a mistake with a single stage when you are a beginner. I have not loaded for a couple of weeks though because I have been spending a lot of time on CAD drawings. Winter will hit and I'll have something to keep me occupied.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    My answer to your question is I make my compromise of time to savings ratio is to buy progressive presses.

The biggest mistake I've made in reloading was to not buy a dillon 650 the day it came on the market,

That is exactly what I did! I have been loading on a square deal b for 12 years now. I just ordered my 650 yesterday. After I have saved and sold extra brass to help pay for the options.

Loading is more or less a pride thing. It will save you money but like with any hobby if you calculate your time in it you will not ever get ahead..
    If your only shooting 100-200 rounds of 9mm a month I myself would not recommend reloading just for the savings. But if your shooting several thousand a year then its well worth the investment.

Also if your shooting long range hand loaded rifle ammo are hard to beat once you get the correct load.

I have posted this before on another thread I loaded 20000 rounds of 40 S&W over the winter my cost was $1100 to buy that many factory rounds at $15 per 50 would be $6000 you make the call!
    Now take in mind that I am loading my rounds to meat a certain power factor also. So that is a bonus to reload also.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I loaded on a SDB for years and it was a very good loader I can't knock it but where I used to load 300 rnds on the SDB I load 700-800 on the 650 in the same time. :rockwoot:

I will disagree with you on the handloaded match ammo on single stage vs. progressive, I load my match ammo on a Dillon 550 and do very well with it. If you are talking pure Benchrest I'll have to give it to the single loaders but for everything except that top end part of the sport I will use my 550, My 1000yd ammo shoots as well as I can measure.

That is exactly what I did! I have been loading on a square deal b for 12 years now. I just ordered my 650 yesterday. After I have saved and sold extra brass to help pay for the options.

Loading is more or less a pride thing. It will save you money but like with any hobby if you calculate your time in it you will not ever get ahead..
    If your only shooting 100-200 rounds of 9mm a month I myself would not recommend reloading just for the savings. But if your shooting several thousand a year then its well worth the investment.

Also if your shooting long range hand loaded rifle ammo are hard to beat once you get the correct load.

I have posted this before on another thread I loaded 20000 rounds of 40 S&W over the winter my cost was $1100 to buy that many factory rounds at $15 per 50 would be $6000 you make the call!
    Now take in mind that I am loading my rounds to meat a certain power factor also. So that is a bonus to reload also.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I loaded on a SDB for years and it was a very good loader I can't knock it but where I used to load 300 rnds on the SDB I load 700-800 on the 650 in the same time. :rockwoot:

I will disagree with you on the handloaded match ammo on single stage vs. progressive, I load my match ammo on a Dillon 550 and do very well with it. If you are talking pure Benchrest I'll have to give it to the single loaders but for everything except that top end part of the sport I will use my 550, My 1000yd ammo shoots as well as I can measure.

OH I cant complain about my SDB at all either! It has been well worth it. If my boy helps we can put out 600 rds in an hour on it. Him being the case feeder. :D

My bad I wasnt comparing single stage to progressive at all on that statement. I was just refering to reloading ingeneral for accuracy. I Know several shooters that load their long range ammo on progressive presses.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've just gotten set up to reload. I'm looking at it just like any other hobby. I took up home brewing even though it's easier to go buy beer. I bought a vice and fly tieing tools and taught myself to tie jigs and streamers instead buying them. I'd rather take care of my own yard. I've got a list of things that need to be done around the house and I'll only farm out the ones that can't be strung out over the course of several weekends. If all I worried about was what my time is worth, I'd never do anything I enjoy.

Top Bottom