• ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    OK, so here is the question...

There are many opinions on the "savings" from reloading your own ammo. I have been doing so for 30 years and do believe thee is a substantial savings and also did not feel the need to panic when ammo became scarce and spiked in price.

But, this is the question. For those of you that downplay the savings from reloading in terms of the value of "your time" , do you place a value on "your time" when you pursue other activities? Like watching a football game on tv for 3 hours, going fishing, etc..

Just a question.....:dunno:

I enjoy reloading almost as much as I enjoy shooting. So that makes reloading time a value added component for me.

lordt313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bonita Springs, FL
    I enjoy reloading almost as much as I enjoy shooting. So that makes reloading time a value added component for me.

+1

It is also nice to be able to tweak and try all kinds of different configurations to get the desired result. I started 3 years ago with an RCBS turret press, 6 months later I had and still have a 650. I use the turret press to try things on a small batch level and then when I find something I like, I set up the dillon to run larger batches. Another hugely added benefit is once you have enough stuff to load a single caliber, all you have to do is spend 30-50 bucks for a new set of dies to load another!

Started out with just .308 and 9mm in 2008, now : .308, 30.06, .338LM, .40, .45, 9mm, .38Super.30-30WIN, .357MAG and 7mm-08. All with minmal cost increase over the initial investment.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Other than the satisfaction of knowing and using my own "mix" for the job at hand, I don't care for reloading much. Maybe at another time when the load building is more critical?:dunno: maybe I'll get more satisfaction then?

I reload because it is a financial necessity. I wanted an ammo factory. For that reason I bought the 650. Absolutely no regrets. The Dillon paid for itself in ammo savings in 9 months.

It's tough to determine the value of time, but I now consider it barely relevant. Occasionally there is some maintenance, but +/- an hour nets me 500ish very well inspected rounds.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I enjoy shooting far more than reloading, and I would buy factory ammunition if factories would load the bullets I want, with moly on them, to lengths that seated into the lands of my rifles.

But that can't happen so hand loading is a necessary evil.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I can not say that I enjoy reloading. However, when I see the end result it makes it worth the time.

I guess I am also one of those guys who actually does not enjoy reloading. I work at Toyota and I basically build all day for a living, it isnt appealing to do in my free time. However I do love the results, .5 moa all day in my .308 with a cost reduction.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    There really isn't any savings for me in reloading. I do end up shooting a lot more than if I bought factory ammo. And I do take a lot of pride in my reloads. When I shoot a tight group at the range or when I recover a spent bullet from a deer I have taken.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a lot of guns so I really do not shoot anymore then I used to. I can shoot more rounds for the same amount of money, which does save me money.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been reloading for over 40 years. During the winter, when it is cold, I reload 3000-4000 rounds, during spring, summer, and fall I shoot most of it.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Value of time....its a great thing to do in bad weather ,better than any kind of ball game on couch. its a hobby anyway,I dont look at it as a chore.

Top Bottom