• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just wanted to know why if the could they don’t? I suspect they actually couldn’t…
    Or it’s a matter of effort. Maybe the weather wasn’t quite right for devoting 100% to not caring on the day they decided not to care. If it was a humid day, you know how much sweat you work up for 100% effort? So you back it down. People won’t even notice a few percent less of not caring.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man, I hope, if Trump should get elected, he’ll hire a better supporting cast this time around. This guy embarrasses himself.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Man, I hope, if Trump should get elected, he’ll hire a better supporting cast this time around. This guy embarrasses himself.

I don't know who this guy is, but I'm having a hard time deciding who is more retarded, him or the barista. If the barista wasn't retarded, that conversation should have gone more like this:

barista: "No thanks, I'm only wearing this because my retarded boss says I have to. Are you retarded?"

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't know who this guy is, but I'm having a hard time deciding who is more retarded, him or the barista. If the barista wasn't retarded, that conversation should have gone more like this:

barista: "No thanks, I'm only wearing this because my retarded boss says I have to. Are you retarded?"
    He was the surgeon general. He was still an “expert” at least one of the Indy stations was quoting well into the covid hysteria.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We don’t even have the nads to run on overturning this monstrosity anymore.

Better? Cheaper? I don’t believe him. I don’t believe the Republicans will do anything of substance. Chicken****s.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We don’t even have the nads to run on overturning this monstrosity anymore.

Better? Cheaper? I don’t believe him. I don’t believe the Republicans will do anything of substance. Chicken****s.

Polls are showing he's losing the educated white male vote. At least that's what they keep saying the polls say. Maybe he's trying to win the indoctrinated white people he lost. He certainly seems to be softening on positions he once claimed he held. But do we know what his position was before he had to appeal to people on the right?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Polls are showing he's losing the educated white male vote. At least that's what they keep saying the polls say. Maybe he's trying to win the indoctrinated white people he lost. He certainly seems to be softening on positions he once claimed he held. But do we know what his position was before he had to appeal to people on the right?
    Being a populist means you have to chase the wind. You have to try and get out in front of which way the populous' whims are moving. The only real thing he stands for is Donald Trump. Everything else is all about getting elected and then glorifying Donald Trump. If he happens to do any of the good things he did the first time around, great. My gut feeling is I'm going to be very disappointed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Being a populist means you have to chase the wind. You have to try and get out in front of which way the populous' whims are moving. The only real thing he stands for is Donald Trump. Everything else is all about getting elected and then glorifying Donald Trump. If he happens to do any of the good things he did the first time around, great. My gut feeling is I'm going to be very disappointed.
    I pretty much agree with the rest, but not so much about populism.

I think the motivation for being a populist candidate distills into two. Being a populist candidate who sympathizes with the plight of ordinary people, and being a populist who doesn't really care about the plight of ordinary people but pretends to care so that he can exploit them to bring himself into power.

The former does not chase the wind like the latter does. Though not a candidate, Musk strikes me as the former type of populist. He genuinely seems to care about people. Okay so which is DJT? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Kinda both?

I thought he was solidly in the latter leading up to 2016 as I watched him rally around the country, and blather on to each group as if he were one of them. Then then displaying that he didn't really know much more than a causal google search about them. I go back to his attempts to sound Christian when quoting the Bible, saying "two Corinthians..." He can't even speak the language remedially. He's a pretender. What else is he pretending about?

But, when he became president he pretty much did what he said. The claim that populism always leads to Hitler just didn't pan out. So here's where I am. I'd rather he's the former kind of populist. At some level he's not. But if the wind blows him in the same directions it did as president before, in a pragmatic sense I don't care. I'd rather have a genuine populist America-first president who puts the interest of ordinary Americans first. But if I can't get that I guess I'll take the one who pretends to be over the one who openly is not. We probably won't have the peaceful opportunity to escape what's coming if Democrats get another 4 years to destroy the country further.

BP84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2024
    Sunman

I think the motivation for being a populist candidate distills into two. Being a populist candidate who sympathizes with the plight of ordinary people, and being a populist who doesn't really care about the plight of ordinary people but pretends to care so that he can exploit them to bring himself into power.

The former does not chase the wind like the latter does. Though not a candidate, Musk strikes me as the former type of populist. He genuinely seems to care about people. Okay so which is DJT? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Kinda both?

I thought he was solidly in the latter leading up to 2016 as I watched him rally around the country, and blather on to each group as if he were one of them. Then then displaying that he didn't really know much more than a causal google search about them. I go back to his attempts to sound Christian when quoting the Bible, saying "two Corinthians..." He can't even speak the language remedially. He's a pretender. What else is he pretending about?

But, when he became president he pretty much did what he said. The claim that populism always leads to Hitler just didn't pan out. So here's where I am. I'd rather he's the former kind of populist. At some level he's not. But if the wind blows him in the same directions it did as president before, in a pragmatic sense I don't care. I'd rather have a genuine populist America-first president who puts the interest of ordinary Americans first. But if I can't get that I guess I'll take the one who pretends to be over the one who openly is not. We probably won't have the peaceful opportunity to escape what's coming if Democrats get another 4 years to destroy the country further.
    As a country, we can do by much much better than these heavily flawed candidates. I wish we could hit the fast forward button on the next four years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As a country, we can do by much much better than these heavily flawed candidates. I wish we could hit the fast forward button on the next four years.
    I'm afraid if we can fast forward 4 years, I'd have missed the clues on what I should be most prepared for. If I just prepare for the worst, I can't be prepared enough for every worst. I'd like to see the clues to prioritize. I don't want to wake up and find myself in a gulag in 4 years.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As a country, we can do by much much better than these heavily flawed candidates.
    That is not what history teaches us.

I wish we could hit the fast forward button on the next four years.
    A lot of people don’t want to fight the fight that must be fought because people were snuggy in their normality bias and allowed the left to run amok with no one to stop them…

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

My definitions are different based on my study of history. There’s a guy that’s popular and there’s a populist. You can be both. My understanding is populist attempts to gain power, be popular, by attempting to capitalize on issues that the voters are animated about. One can be popular while not being a “populist”. I don’t think DeSantis is a populist. He’s popular (at least in Florida) because the issues he’s addressing are popular.

Trump will take whatever position he believes will make him popular therefore, he’s a populist.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Your theory contains its own contradiction. Why did he do any of the' good things he did the first time around' if it was only about him? Why did he fight so hard (and continue to do so, at great personal expense), hmmm?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Your theory contains its own contradiction. Why did he do any of the' good things he did the first time around' if it was only about him? Why did he fight so hard (and continue to do so, at great personal expense), hmmm?
    People will sometimes spend vast fortunes to soothe their egos.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My definitions are different based on my study of history. There’s a guy that’s popular and there’s a populist. You can be both. My understanding is populist attempts to gain power, be popular, by attempting to capitalize on issues that the voters are animated about. One can be popular while not being a “populist”. I don’t think DeSantis is a populist. He’s popular (at least in Florida) because the issues he’s addressing are popular.

Trump will take whatever position he believes will make him popular therefore, he’s a populist.

Yeah, I don't really agree with the definition, though I do agree that Trump tries to capitalize on issues voters are animated about. He picked up on "drain the swamp" because people started chanting it at a rally. So he made that part of his platform. Did he drain it? No he didn't. It was a campaign slogan which he admitted recently.

I don't think that's populist, per see. Politicians always try to capitalize on issues voters are animated about. Some are just more successful than others at getting to the root of what people want. Was Obama a populist? He pushed that hope-n-change nonsense to capitalize on the financial crisis at the time.

In short I'd say "populism" is more like anti-establishment. Basically anti-elite. At least that is what I mean when I use the term.

Top Bottom