• ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I have a question for the panel.

In all the ranting and yelling and blind loyalty, what could we do better. I mean Red wants the Gov. to dissolve and go away. To be replaced with what and at what cost.
    Others want more Gov on this topic but scream about interference on that topic.

What to do. What to change. And at what costs.
    Years ago (like Bush or Clinton) I was in a farmer hangout/coffeshop and the guys were complaining about the gov't (surprising I know!) I started on this rant about lines on the road, and how expensive they were, and how we are just coddling the next generation and they were helpless (see post about auto headlights somewhere around here) and if more people would just die that would lead to a better populace, but no, they wouldn't want to lose their tax base, and it turned out that most people actually wanted lines on the road, that that was going too far, but they all had their pet projects and peeves.
    As Jamil pointed out above, we need to be consistent with our principles. I didn't dare bring up farm payments/subsidies.
    So I think the path to better starts with that consistency, and respect for one another, and term limits, and not being dependent on said gov't for everything, but being able to see your own path for independence.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    NeverTrumpers slinging around "loyalty" as a poor trait of those who support our president don't seem to have an alternative. :dunno:

Other than of course disillusioning and poisoning the middle ground voters into not voting, throwing their vote away or even voting for the enemy.

NeverTrumpers? Like, seriously, is that supposed to be an important pejorative designation? Because I don't think the people you're throwing it at think it's all that negative. "Why you, you NeverTrumper you! You're just a, uh, a NeverTrumper." They be like, uh, yeah. So? And if you're including me in that, it's really misapplied, perhaps due to loyalty to your side. I'm a sometimes-trump-sometimes-not-depending-on-how-full-of-****-he-is-on-he-issue-er. I am willing to criticize Trump when he's earned it. I'm willing to praise Trump when he's earnedIf that earns me a nevertrumper designation, well, I'd say that illustrates the problem with loyalty to a side over loyalty to what's true and what's not.

As for disillusioning or poisoning anyone, I think if you really believe that, it's a belief based in loyalty rather than a desire to know what's true and what's not. Blind loyalty to a side promotes a belief without a rational cause. So if you say, "I believe Trump's use of emergency powers is justified because I'm loyal to Trump" is not rational basis for believing something is true. Maybe you might believe this instead. Yes, Trump admitted that it's not an emergency, that he used the emergency power to get it done sooner. I'm not happy with that. But, that's not going to change my vote if the alternative is a bat **** crazy SJW Democrat. I can respect that. That's actually my position too. But that position isn't based on loyalty. It's based on the facts you know and a judgement of those facts, not a judgement of how loyal it is to have this position or that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not all executive orders are equal, I thought many BHO eo's were wrong and thought it right for DJT to eo to remove them. It is in no way hypocritical to be opposed to eo's in the first place and support their use to remove previous eo's. As for the wall eo, that too is different in that the President is exercising a law, duly passed 40 years ago, not just pulling rabbits out of hats. I hope that both sides come together and repeal this law. It is mind boggling to me just how much power lazy congresses have given away over the years, they literally write a law as an outline of the goal and have the agencies fill in the details. That to me is not Constitutional...

MM

I don't think EO's are bad per se. It's how the government works. However, when you use them to attempt to accomplish things congress said no to, using loopholes and whatever legal maneuvering WH lawyers can dig up, that's overstepping executive authority. Congress has a right to say no to the president even if you're fiercely loyal to the president. Congress said no to cap-and-trade, and Obama wrote executive orders effectively implementing that through regulatory code. Trump's EO ordering the justice department to redefine bump stocks as machine guns is on par with that or probably worse. Not because bump stocks matter. They're just novelties. Because that EO sets a really dangerous precedent for changing legislated definitions by stroke of the executive pen. But some loyal Trumpers seem incapable of even criticizing that. Team Trump. Loyal no matter what.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't think EO's are bad per se. It's how the government works. However, when you use them to attempt to accomplish things congress said no to, using loopholes and whatever legal maneuvering WH lawyers can dig up, that's overstepping executive authority. Congress has a right to say no to the president even if you're fiercely loyal to the president. Congress said no to cap-and-trade, and Obama wrote executive orders effectively implementing that through regulatory code. Trump's EO ordering the justice department to redefine bump stocks as machine guns is on par with that or probably worse. Not because bump stocks matter. They're just novelties. Because that EO sets a really dangerous precedent for changing legislated definitions by stroke of the executive pen. But some loyal Trumpers seem incapable of even criticizing that. Team Trump. Loyal no matter what.

The bumpstock eo was definitely unconstitutional just as the cap and trade was. Others were coal plant eo, amnesty that congress would not pass.

MM

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't think EO's are bad per se. It's how the government works. However, when you use them to attempt to accomplish things congress said no to, using loopholes and whatever legal maneuvering [STRIKE]WH lawyers can dig up[/STRIKE] that Congress gave them when it comes to declaring an emergency, that's not overstepping executive authority. Congress has a right to say no to the president even if you're fiercely loyal to the president. Congress said no to cap-and-trade, and Obama wrote executive orders effectively implementing that through regulatory code. Trump's EO ordering the justice department to redefine bump stocks as machine guns is on par with that or probably worse. Not because bump stocks matter. They're just novelties. Because that EO sets a really dangerous precedent for changing legislated definitions by stroke of the executive pen. But some loyal Trumpers seem incapable of even criticizing that. Team Trump. Loyal no matter what.

Just a minor adjustment... ;)

I've said it before though, and I'll say it again. I would have preferred that Trump didn't declare this state of emergency. I would have preferred that Congress (either before or after the midterms) would have given him what he was asking for, or at the very least the 5.7 billion that he came down to, because it is one part of immigration reform that I believe would work in concert with additional measures. And like you, I don't care about bumpstocks per se, but because of the precedent that set. I think that exceeded his authority. Like it or not, the emergency declaration did not, and as has been said, Congress gave him that power.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I don't always agree with Trump, but think of what kind of shape we would be in, if Hillary was in office. For me, Trump was the lesser of the two evils. I think if Hillary were in office we would be seeing national gun registration or a federal tax on each firearm purchased. We all know where she stands on gun control.

We have paid a 10-11% Federal Excise Tax on Firearms and Ammunition since 1937, Pittman Robertson Act.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks!
    I just figured since you get to throw around unqualified and inaccurate statements, the rest of us should be granted the same privilege.
    Glad you agree.

Ironic post is ironic, and also unsurprisingly, false.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So the ATF is just making it up on their own without direction? Wow. Brass balls on those guys.

They've always been able to change definitions without any oversight. Remember pistol braces? "Can't let those touch your shoulder or you've created an SBR!" Then... "Nevermind. It's okay now. We changed our minds." :dunno: No executive order, no congressional change in the law or definition, just the whim of the ATF. So it works both ways...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    All I am saying is I cannot find an EO. Someone said there was an EO.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Trump was better than Hillary but that is a terribly low bar. I love my Country and love the Office of the President. I respect Trump's position as POTUS. But he's a slovenly dressed obese man of average to below average intelligence with narcissistic tendencies who is horrendously bad at public speaking and keeps stepping on his wank. That doesn't mean I don't want him to do well for our Country, I do. But that is where my loyalty stops. I have lots of ranking bosses with whom I respect their rank and am loyal to that rank but they are crappy leaders and people. It's easy to see them for who they really are.

Top Bottom