• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    absolutely disappointing, but not surprising, that spending was not reigned in further under a (R) controlled congress and presidency. All sides of the political spectrum are too dependent on govt $....

-rvb

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Surely, this goes beyond simply holding your nose. The Tea Party marched on Washington over Obama spending. Where are they now?

As I recall they were destroyed by the MSM who branded them as racists. That was before everyone realized that anyone opposing leftist ideals was, without regard to fact, branded as racist.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Welp.....looks like we have the choice between a party that spends X amount on their chosen interests and a different party that spends X amount on their chosen interests.

There is no longer a conservative choice for the peons.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Welp.....looks like we have the choice between a party that spends X amount on their chosen interests and a different party that spends X amount on their chosen interests.

There is no longer a conservative choice for the peons.

I have the very same issues when deciding who to vote for. None of the parties sit well with me. Time to bring back the Whig Party ;)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The thread title is misleading. Presidents don’t have a budget - that’s up to Congress to pass. Yes, he did sign it and, therefore, I guess he will own it but that just gives Congress a pass. And with that being said the budget that was just passed SUCKS ! I think the Republicans caved in again. Republicans control both houses and the presidency and they still pass can’t pass legislation that adheres to the delegated powers of the Constitution. What a shame.

The president submits a budget request to congress, they laugh and ignore it and do their own thing.

It is disappointing. But also, Republicans are no longer conservative. Trump's daughter wants paid leave mandatory. He wants to spend $1.3T on infrastructure.

The conservative stuff has been done already, this next step doesn't thrill me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm kind of surprised that this hasn't been discussed yet. I searched but could not find anything more recent than about 9 months ago. This is a VERY un-conservative move, INCREASING the Federal deficit rather than reducing it. Seems to be making a lot of waves in Party circles. Is this NOT the very same issue that the Republicans hammered the Democrats on just a couple of years ago?

I think you are not giving credit where credit is due. Trump is also pushing to fundamentally change how the money is spent and this has the potential to drastically lessen the growth of the overall deficit while still allowing priorities such as the wall and the military to be accommodated. when was the last time you saw another Republican propose actual cuts to the departments they were always claiming they would defund?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...-to-decide-what-food-snap-recipients-will-get
    Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

The USDA believes that state governments will be able to deliver this food at much less cost than SNAP recipients currently pay for food at retail stores — thus reducing the overall cost of the SNAP program by $129 billion over the next 10 years.
    This and other changes in the SNAP program, according to the Trump administration, will reduce the SNAP budget by $213 billion over those years — cutting the program by almost 30 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...te-dozens-of-programs/?utm_term=.fd75223802cc
    Trump budget seeks 23 percent cut at EPA, eliminating dozens of programs

The White House is seeking to cut more than $2.5 billion from the annual budget of the Environmental Protection Agency — an overall reduction of more than 23 percent.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/201...get-proposal-calls-for-deep-cuts-to-education
    President Trump's Budget Proposal Calls For Deep Cuts To Education

President Trump's full budget proposal for fiscal year 2018, to be released Tuesday, calls for a $9.2 billion, or 13.5 percent, spending cut to education. The cuts would be spread across K-12 and aid to higher education, according to documents released by the White House.

View attachment 63919

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    absolutely disappointing, but not surprising, that spending was not reigned in further under a (R) controlled congress and presidency. All sides of the political spectrum are too dependent on govt $....

-rvb

It does lend one to believe that opposing parties holding congress and the presidency isn't such a bad thing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It does lend one to believe that opposing parties holding congress and the presidency isn't such a bad thing.

'94 through 2000, the only modern period of the divided government of which you speak resulting in declining deficits/rising surpluses, would seem to indicate a powerless Democratic President with the House and Senate in Republican hands is the way to go.

But in terms of the widening ideological split, those "happy times" were a hundred years ago

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I always tell my dad , a staunch Democrat, who thinks i only vote Republican since i always vote pro gun peeps as my first choice, the politicians in D.C. are all liars, it just that u prefer the lies from the left side and i usually prefer the lies from the right side, heh.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think you are not giving credit where credit is due. Trump is also pushing to fundamentally change how the money is spent and this has the potential to drastically lessen the growth of the overall deficit while still allowing priorities such as the wall and the military to be accommodated. when was the last time you saw another Republican propose actual cuts to the departments they were always claiming they would defund?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...-to-decide-what-food-snap-recipients-will-get
    Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...te-dozens-of-programs/?utm_term=.fd75223802cc
    Trump budget seeks 23 percent cut at EPA, eliminating dozens of programs

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/201...get-proposal-calls-for-deep-cuts-to-education
    President Trump's Budget Proposal Calls For Deep Cuts To Education

View attachment 63919

I'm already seeing wailing and teeth gnashing over that SNAP thing. Oh the children! How can you treat the children so unkindly?!?!

For every dollar the government spends, there's a constituency that likes it and demands it be spent. There is no real appetite for real spending cuts (other than maybe Rand Paul). We're getting the government we voted for.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    View attachment 63919

I'm curious about the methodology of this graph. For instance, what is the timeline of the reduction vis a vis the increases? I've only skimmed some assessments of the budget, but it seems like the cuts are in the future (which is normal) and the increases are before the cuts, which is what's causing the bloat.

If that's the case, then this really is the same old same old DC budgeting. Trump may believe it is different; it isn't.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    View attachment 63919

I'm curious about the methodology of this graph. For instance, what is the timeline of the reduction vis a vis the increases? I've only skimmed some assessments of the budget, but it seems like the cuts are in the future (which is normal) and the increases are before the cuts, which is what's causing the bloat.

If that's the case, then this really is the same old same old DC budgeting. Trump may believe it is different; it isn't.

I wish that chart added an actual monetary figure with the percentages. The way it's framed, it looks like the cuts in other agencies heavily outweigh the spending. A 14% increase in military spending probably wipes out half the cuts.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wish that chart added an actual monetary figure with the percentages. The way it's framed, it looks like the cuts in other agencies heavily outweigh the spending. A 14% increase in military spending probably wipes out half the cuts.

I actually ran across these numbers recently for something else.

Actual money:
    bi_graphics_millitary-budget-compare-chart-2.png

As a percentage of GDP:
    20150625_Defense_GDP_Fo1.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm already seeing wailing and teeth gnashing over that SNAP thing. Oh the children! How can you treat the children so unkindly?!?!

For every dollar the government spends, there's a constituency that likes it and demands it be spent. There is no real appetite for real spending cuts (other than maybe Rand Paul). We're getting the government we voted for.

I think it is so much easier to be a back bencher like Paul (see: repeal of Obamacare after R's gain control of House, Senate and WH). If Rand woke up one day as president, I think he'd find himself in exactly the same box Trump is in - only far less popular with his base and far more popular with the swamp because he's been dwelling in it for years

Top Bottom