• ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    View attachment 63919

I'm curious about the methodology of this graph. For instance, what is the timeline of the reduction vis a vis the increases? I've only skimmed some assessments of the budget, but it seems like the cuts are in the future (which is normal) and the increases are before the cuts, which is what's causing the bloat.

If that's the case, then this really is the same old same old DC budgeting. Trump may believe it is different; it isn't.

It was sourced here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/trump-budget-2019/?utm_term=.7c126b50e8ed
    What Trump proposed
    cutting in his 2019 budget

And MediaBias seems to find the CRFB reasonably unbiased
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/committee-for-a-responsible-federal-budget/

Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH

Notes: The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) is an independent, non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization based in Washington, D.C. that addresses federal budget and fiscal issues. CRFB focuses on many issues including deficit reduction, “entitlement” reform, fundamental tax reform, improving the budget process, and other topical issues as they arise. It was founded in 1981 by former United States Representatives Robert Giaimo (D-CT) and Henry Bellmon (R-OK), and its board of directors includes former Members of Congress and directors of the Office of Management and Budget, the Congressional Budget Office and the Federal Reserve. This is an excellent source for statistical based information regarding government budgets. (9/7/2016)

President Trump?s Full FY 2018 Budget | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget

View attachment 63960

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Disingenuous. Please show me on the graph where the slope of the graph of national debt has ever been negative

View attachment 78398

And it should be easy to visualize the regression from this diagram. Doesn't seem like he's doing any better (or worse) than your hero, but the economy is growing 2 to 3 times as fast. Could be worse (and was '08 to '16)

View attachment 78397

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Forget Trump's Federal Budget, let's talk about Trump's Fedora Budget.

trump-01-1559761383.jpg

Just terrible.

Clearly, all of the fedora budget has been siphoned off to a slush fund for the first lady.

melania-trump-11.jpg

But still no where close to Truman.

hat-truman-jpg.17783

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Imagine what the hockey stick would look like if all the debt was admitted to!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It's an interesting time. Ever since about oh what, the late 80's maybe, there have been economists who have stated the obvious in that we are on an unsustainable path that will lead to collapse (let's be nice and call it "reset") because we cannot borrow forever. Well, it's been sustained far longer than almost everyone has thought it could be. And now the perfect guy gets plugged in to oversee the bankruptcy. Like oh wow you know man?

So OK, Trump's federal budget...
    Can we actually borrow enough any more to service the interest on what we owe?
    I thought I knew the answer to that question. But no, I don't know who does know and talks about it. I do not think the true figures are even admitted to because it's a matter of national security, continuity of government, need to know, we'll tell you what we want you to hear.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's an interesting time. Ever since about oh what, the late 80's maybe, there have been economists who have stated the obvious in that we are on an unsustainable path that will lead to collapse (let's be nice and call it "reset") because we cannot borrow forever. Well, it's been sustained far longer than almost everyone has thought it could be. And now the perfect guy gets plugged in to oversee the bankruptcy. Like oh wow you know man?
    Were they telling everyone to buy gold?

So OK, Trump's federal budget...
    Can we actually borrow enough any more to service the interest on what we owe?
    I thought I knew the answer to that question. But no, I don't know who does know and talks about it. I do not think the true figures are even admitted to because it's a matter of national security, continuity of government, need to know, we'll tell you what we want you to hear.
    There's a certain group of economist who now promote the theory that you can pretty much borrow as much as you want; it's called Modern Monetary Theory.

Planet Money explains it well.

I don't really subscribe to MMT, but we have a lot of sources to tap, so long as we don't ever hint about missing a payment on those loans.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Publicly held US debt is $16.1 trillion as of Q4 2018

Every 10 basis points rise in interest rates adds $16.1 billion to expenditures exclusive of any new spending/borrowing

Top Bottom