• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Fact is, if I have time to get out of the car, walk to my trunk, open it, unlock the weapon, and present it... the situation obviously didn't require me to draw my handgun, so it probably doesn't warrant standard ammunition...

For one, I wouldn't be walking. I'd be running. For two, I own a truck, but it's extended cab. For three, most of us would draw and scream STOP or something a little more... convincing.

The purpose of a trunk/truck gun is not for a typical SD situation. It's there in case of OMGWTFSHTFBBQ type situations. Things like NOLA, The Midwest floods, LA Riots, zombie outbreak, things of that nature. Chances of NEEDING the long gun are worse than hitting the lottery x 10. Unless you're LE. But it's there if you need it.

For a situation as you described, I would hang my head out of my truck, rev the engine a couple times (no horn working yet), yell at them to stop. If they didn't, then, maybe I would consider getting out weapon drawn, or at the ready and visible. Now if they come running at me, that's what my bumper is for. I didn't buy a truck for just the sheer beauty of it. ;)

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Less than lethal has it's benefits..

Loved one getting kicked/stomped/beaten to death by a group of people, rubber rounds reduce the risk of me hurting loved one, and help resolve the situation or at least get the focus on me.

If a loved one is getting beat to death, my CC is coming out and I'm on the war path towards the target. I wouldn't even have a chance to retrieve a "truck gun" with rubber bullets.

Wild animals.

Really? Maybe for fun I guess. :)

Fact is, if I have time to get out of the car, walk to my trunk, open it, unlock the weapon, and present it... the situation obviously didn't require me to draw my handgun, so it probably doesn't warrant standard ammunition... not to mention, most shotgun rounds are going to go through who you shoot, and continue past them quite a way unless you are bird shot which is still going to give the attacker plenty of time to close the distance between the two of you and possibly harm you to the point of death... anything capable of putting them down in that first shot or two, is going to sail right through them and unless you've got them against a concrete wall, chances are someone else is getting hit by that round, probably someone innocent.

You are thinking about a truck gun for the wrong purposes. A shotgun in the trunk is not for casually throwin' some rubber around when you don't feel like the real thing is warranted. It's for when all Hell breaks loose and your carry firearm is not enough.:twocents:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    For one, I wouldn't be walking. I'd be running. For two, I own a truck, but it's extended cab. For three, most of us would draw and scream STOP or something a little more... convincing.

The purpose of a trunk/truck gun is not for a typical SD situation. It's there in case of OMGWTFSHTFBBQ type situations. Things like NOLA, The Midwest floods, LA Riots, zombie outbreak, things of that nature. Chances of NEEDING the long gun are worse than hitting the lottery x 10. Unless you're LE. But it's there if you need it.

For a situation as you described, I would hang my head out of my truck, rev the engine a couple times (no horn working yet), yell at them to stop. If they didn't, then, maybe I would consider getting out weapon drawn, or at the ready and visible. Now if they come running at me, that's what my bumper is for. I didn't buy a truck for just the sheer beauty of it. ;)

Who knows, maybe you can even give 'em tetanus!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Who knows, maybe you can even give 'em tetanus!

:fawk:

That would only be if I kept this...

C10004.jpg

Then I wouldn't mind it looking like this...

101-0126_IMG.jpg

...to save a loved one or someone else.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I vote for the Kel-Tec Sub 2000.

I've got one that takes my Glock 19 mags. I've got the ability to utilize the same mags for my EDC gun and my truck gun.

Plus the Sub 2000 folds in half and is really compact to store.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Non-lethal rounds? Maybe you should be like Dog The Bounty Hunter and just carry a paintball gun. Then you wouldnt have to worry about anyone getting killed or scumbags stealing it and using it in a hold up. :twocents:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    yep, this

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Ok let's start over..

I didn't ask what ammo to use, I asked what trunkw eapon you'd use.

That being said, ignore what ammo I choose to put in my firearm in my vehicle and either contribute what you'd keep in your trunk or don't.

That trunk weapon isn't coming out unless the government has failed and I have no fear of being arrested for using it. Period. It's like a spare, just gonna be something there that chances are I"ll never need.

If you feel fine keeping a shotgun loaded with buckshot in your trunk so when you use it you shoot the target, and a person or two behind them as well as it travels through their body that's your thing... I've got my mind made on what ammunition I will use if I go the shotgun option, I've got the first round less than lethal in the shotgun by my bed as well, if you don't like that it is your opinion but it's not the opinion I'm asking for.

My daily carry and it's 3 extra mags have plenty of lethality... so save me your recommendation on ammunition.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You are thinking about a truck gun for the wrong purposes. A shotgun in the trunk is not for casually throwin' some rubber around when you don't feel like the real thing is warranted. It's for when all Hell breaks loose and your carry firearm is not enough.:twocents:

The coyotes at the airport have absolutely no fear of humans, past 2 winters they've been ON TOP of our cars, in our dumpster, around our cars, at the back door etc at work and don't give a rats behind if a human comes out, or even throws something at them... of course by the time animal control comes they are long gone.

There are also wild packs of dogs around, just look at the ones that got into the zoo and killed the black swans a few years ago...shooting rubber rounds in a parking lot at an aggressive dog, is going to be a lot safer than blasting away at it with metal....I'd rather be hit with a rubber ricochet than a metal one.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If you dont like all the feedback then maybe you shouldnt have mentioned what type of ammo you are going to use. Someone with 1200 post should know well enough that people on here are going to pick everything you say apart. But between the two choices you have given I would go with the shotgun.:ingo:

Ok let's start over..

That being said, ignore what ammo I choose to put in my firearm in my vehicle and either contribute what you'd keep in your trunk or don't.

That trunk weapon isn't coming out unless the government has failed and I have no fear of being arrested for using it. Period. It's like a spare, just gonna be something there that chances are I"ll never need.

If you feel fine keeping a shotgun loaded with buckshot in your trunk so when you use it you shoot the target, and a person or two behind them as well as it travels through their body that's your thing... I've got my mind made on what ammunition I will use if I go the shotgun option, I've got the first round less than lethal in the shotgun by my bed as well, if you don't like that it is your opinion but it's not the opinion I'm asking for.

My daily carry and it's 3 extra mags have plenty of lethality... so save me your recommendation on ammunition.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Ok let's start over..

Everyone is just trying be helpful. We would be remiss if we didn't point out a really bad idea. You are using the worst case scenario with buckshot as reason not to use it. Yes buckshot can over penetrate (just like anything else at rifle/shotgun velocities.) That could be a bad thing. Yet, you aren't willing to look at the worst case scenario for less-lethal ammo. That is you shoot the BG and he gets even more pissed then he already was. If you are going to be fair about the decision you have to compare those two scenarios. If you consider that and still come down on the side of rubber ammo then I wish you luck.

As to your OP I would opt for the shotgun. Shotguns are probably the best option for their intended range. I can't imagine a scenario where I would possibility need to exit my vehicle with a long gun and take 3-4 hundred yard shots. Within 50 yards for buckshot and 120 yard shots with slugs there is nothing I can think of that has both the versatility and devastation of a shotgun. (You can disregard all the range a ballistic information if you opt for less-lethal ammo.) Further more, if we are really talking TEOTWAWKI then the shotgun can double as a game getter. Given the right selection of loads there is no game in North America that can't be taken with a shotgun.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    shotty for the snotty.

BTW they call em "less" lethal for a reason.lol

A mosin would just hurt their eardrums and cloud their vision from the smoke.(purple)

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    The coyotes at the airport have absolutely no fear of humans, past 2 winters they've been ON TOP of our cars, in our dumpster, around our cars, at the back door etc at work and don't give a rats behind if a human comes out, or even throws something at them... of course by the time animal control comes they are long gone.

There are also wild packs of dogs around, just look at the ones that got into the zoo and killed the black swans a few years ago...shooting rubber rounds in a parking lot at an aggressive dog, is going to be a lot safer than blasting away at it with metal....I'd rather be hit with a rubber ricochet than a metal one.

Fair enough. I didn't realize that coyotes were runnin' rampant and crawlin' on top of your car. If you feel like rubber rounds are a good choice to fend them off, then I understand. Maybe the solution is having 2 long guns in the trunk. One with rubber rounds and one with 00.
    Regardless, a shotgun is the best choice. Durable, versatile, and formidable. Only other choice IMO would be of the SKS/AK variety.......but I'd still go with the shotgun.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    sks my "get home gun"

I thought about this, putting one of mine in there (probably the one with the pistol style foregrip) but then I'm back to the securing to the vehicle dilemma... Tufloc has nice mounts for most tactical shotguns... but the sks, mossin, etc... I just worry about how to secure it to the trunk, to make it that much harder to smash and grab, and to keep it from rolling around the trunk

Top Bottom