TSA 2 Gun Match 4th Sunday every month (3/25)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Where can we go to get on the mailing list?

I signed up at my first match. Last year they did a lot of great work on the range but we did not get to do many matches because of the work and weather.
    But keep your eye on this thread and we always try to post about the up coming match. And yes these are great matches put on by some good people at a very nice range,will woth the drive.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No emails, but there was a Facebook post indicating that they were hopeful of running on Sunday.

mj.elder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Hey team - checking in. No word on if we are running yet or not, but if we do I hope to see a lot of you new guys out there! It's going to be a lot of fun. All age and skill ranges welcome!

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Posted to Facebook by Walt:

”Shooters! We are running the match for Sunday! It is a little muddy still. Not so slippery, just really tacky. Hopefully it’s a little better by tomorrow. The sun is shining! We ask shooters to arrive no later than 0900. Comment or message us with any questions.”

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I made it out for my first match and had a great time. Hopefully this spring and summer will Have better weather than last year so I can make it to more than one!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    GIF-bliss-happy-nicolas-cage-yes-GIF.gif

Me IRL finally getting to shoot a TSA 2-gun match again.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Great shoot, a lot of fun as always!
    A couple notes I made for myself:
    -I think the OP says $20, it is actually $15. It is good to be there by 9AM or close to it. If coming from the greater Indy area, I74 is in great shape now. This is easy to get to.

-General culture of the event is, in my opinion, ideal! Everyone is having fun and everyone realizes that what they are using the event for is not necessarily the same as what others are there for. Some are figuring out gear and equipment, some are enjoying it like a USPSA/IDPA match, some are there just to take advantage of a venue that allows you to move and shoot like most ranges do not allow. I proved you can do this as a fat old man with a bad ankle. If you have safe rifle and pistol handling skills, can transition between them safely, you will have fun. People were helping everyone else out in all matters (people were either loading mags or pasting targets, and helping with scoring...)

-"No steel tip ammo" actually means no steel core also. In actuality if you use a lot of steel case (like Wolf) ammo the majority of it is steel core. It can be used on the stages where there is no steel targets present. I'm not an event organizer, my word is not rule, this is what I was told once arrived but this may be an exception they made for me that day so I wouldn't have to be turned away. My recommendation is to bring enough ammo with no steel in the projectile to shoot the entire course to avoid being out of luck if every stage that particular month has some steel in it. If you are wanting to use your steel cased (and therefore likely steel core) ammo, make sure it is kept separate to be used ONLY on the stages where there are no steel targets to shoot at.

-The vast majority of times your mags (pistol and rifle) will be loaded out to 10 rounds. This helps to know so you can do as much prep before coming but not critical. ON occasion you will load more or less but normal load out is 10 rounds. Having a way to see how many rounds you have in a mag is REALLY helpful. It makes it much easier to avoid finding our you have partially loaded mags half way through a course. :-)
    I'm going to start a thread on this thing I made, very handy for this type of event.
    mAxJBTs.jpg

RTSqjzf.jpg

-Know your dope, holdover/hold under for different distances. The rifle range stage was setup with the first shot being a required head shot on a bad guy, standing behind a no-shoot friendly/hostage at the max distance for the range (I already can't remember, it was somewhere between 100 and 200 yards). This "cold bore" single shot and 3 other targets were on cardboard so you don't get feedback until you walk down and score the course of fire. There were 2 squads, my squad was second to be at this stage and there was only 1 (ONE) hit on the "cold bore head shot" target from the entire first squad! Our squad, being awesome, more than DOUBLED that number. LOL

-I LOVE the logic of the stage designers. I cannot remember the actual stage description of stage 1 but I remember what it felt like it was designed to test.
    shooting position 1: From prone you got to build your position, sight it in, and when you said OK the RO started the stage. The first shot was a cold bore precision head shot at distance having to not hit a friendly hostage it was hiding behind. After that shot you make still precise (but less so) shots on targets from that same position. These were shots on 3 paper and 2 steel poppers at distance but paper was behind cover. For the shooter that means they are still precise shots but you could be faster because hitting the black cover just means the shots are misses, whereas the first precise shot was behind friendly so if you hit it... well you killed your friend!
    You transitioned to 4 different shooting positions, at one point you engaged 2 targets at about 50 yards with rifle in box drill fashion from behind low cover, you engaged 2 targets in failure drill fashion with pistol from behind low cover, you had to do tactical reload of pistol and then move from position 3 to 4 and put 6 rounds on a single target while on the move, from position 4 engage 3 targets (progressively closer as you move through the course of fire) with failure drills but will not have enough ammo and have to reload from behind cover. There were a LOT of skills drills and safe firearm handling exercises packed into that stage!

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I got boned by my assumptions on the dope on my Holosun. 50 yard zero, figured on a high POI at 100 but came out a little too low instead. Didn't help that the V notch on those partial cover targets was really the only thing I could distinguish on a brown cardboard target with a brown and green background. The zero issue may come from zeroing on hot IMI 5.56 and then shooting the course with cheap mouse fart ammo. Or just being bad at shooting.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I had to re-zero my Strike eagle. At the range while taking my time I was way low and left. Now it is dead on at 50 yards. I will still miss alot, but have one less excuse. Also, I now know that close range aiming at the very top edge of the target will hit the light switch.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe in May?!? I received the following email from Walt:

Well Gents, we got a lot more rain than anticipated, and more coming in this evening. It's too wet to run out there so we're going to have to cancel. At least this will give the grass in the bays a little more time to get established. We will try again in May 26th. Sorry guys.

-Walt

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This shows me how we get into a pattern here in central Indiana. I am trying to get the outside of my house finished ( new deck, rebuild screened in porch, paint, build a storage barn) and I can't make hardly any progress.

I hope you guys can get some dates this year!

I know I won't be able to make it since if it's not going to rain, I have to work on my house. :(

Top Bottom