• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    Now that I have finally sold my tuba I am in the market for a firearm. I have been debating between a S&W 686 4" .357, or some type of 1911 (I have been looking at Springfield and a few others) Any thoughts? I would like to keep it under $1000. Thank you for the input in advance.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Now that I have finally sold my tuba I am in the market for a firearm. I have been debating between a S&W 686 4" .357, or some type of 1911 (I have been looking at Springfield and a few others) Any thoughts? I would like to keep it under $1000. Thank you for the input in advance.

You can't go wrong with a 1911 or a S&W revolver :rockwoot:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Under $1000 is a wide range... From my perspective a 686 and a 1911 are kinda different... What is it you wanna do with it? If you just want a new lover, either one would do it for ya. I might go with a Kimber instead of the Springfield 1911 if you want a nice pistol out of the box. The 686 is a nice piece and revolvers have what the french call a certain "I don't know what." both are sexy, but neither as sexy as a Tuba.

There are so many others to consider as well depending on what you want from your gun. Can you narrow the field at all?

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Take it from a guy that owns a least a half-a-dozen 686s, "You won't regret buying a 686". I like 1911s and have several, I like plastic guns, I like old guns and new guns, but my first choice would be a S&W 686.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    Smart move ...tubas are terribly difficult to conceal. :D:laugh::D

I regularly get asked what i have on my back when i carry it. It looks like i'm trying to lug around a refrigirator, but when I have students ask me I just tell them I am smuggling midgets from the carnival.

What I am wanting to do with it mainly is to carry, do some shooting around the back field, and enjoy at the range when I go with friends from time to time. Already have a Glock 17 so if i'm going to just plink I use that or the .22. I have been looing at then lately and am going to shoot a friends 1911 today. I guess that will help narrow what I am thinking down. My dad had a 686, so that is prolly where that want is coming from.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I regularly get asked what i have on my back when i carry it. It looks like i'm trying to lug around a refrigirator, but when I have students ask me I just tell them I am smuggling midgets from the carnival.

What I am wanting to do with it mainly is to carry, do some shooting around the back field, and enjoy at the range when I go with friends from time to time. Already have a Glock 17 so if i'm going to just plink I use that or the .22. I have been looing at then lately and am going to shoot a friends 1911 today. I guess that will help narrow what I am thinking down. My dad had a 686, so that is prolly where that want is coming from.

Get both a 1911 & a 686:yesway::twocents: You can't have enough great guns;)

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Find a used Ruger GP100 and then a used auto-loader, you could get 2 quality firearms for under or around $1000. The S&W686 is a fine revolver, I have had one. They ae just overpriced for what you get. Good luck with your choice(s).

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    I think the lady friend would prolly strangle me if I came home with more than one.

as a lady, I say bring her to the range and get her on board....then she'll understand your debate and wind up with the same dilema!!! :)
    I just picked up a Springfield XDm(C) yesterday and I LOVE it! Haven't been to shoot it yet, but I absolutely love everything about it. You could get a new one and a revolver for just about $1000. My Rossi .357 was $450 new....the XDm was around $700... go the route of 2 lesser guns so you can have some fun at the range then you can save for a beautiful custom 1911....that's what I'm doing! :D

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    Young grasshopper, there are ways to get guns without the wife knowing;) All it takes is love & desire:rockwoot:

Yeah, There are ways. The problem is when I get them I can't stop talking about them and want to go shoot them...I swear she can smell new guns a mile away...That and she always seems to wanna shoot them. :rockwoot:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Buy a lightly used ANIB pre-lock 686. You already have an auto and the 686 will not lose value in fact it will go up in value year after year as long as you care for it well:)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Yeah, There are ways. The problem is when I get them I can't stop talking about them and want to go shoot them...I swear she can smell new guns a mile away...That and she always seems to wanna shoot them. :rockwoot:
    OK I'll give you some of the ways I did it, (1) Your car broken down & you had to fix it (2) This is my friends gun, I'm keeping for him ;)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    A 686 or a 1911? That's a really tough call, I like both so well.
    I would suggest that you flip a coin as to which one you get first, then buy the other as soon as possible. That's the only possible solution that I see to your dilema.

Top Bottom