• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I think the lady friend would prolly strangle me if I came home with more than one.

If you are married and plan to stay that way buy 50% of the stuff "for her". :). Dating is a little riskier that way. I know people carry both of those and don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of both the 686 and the 1911 but if I was choosing a new carry gun, I might get a lighter weight higher capacity one. There are several nice plastic guns with high capacity like the M&P, XD/XDm, etc. Generally, these are quite a bit cheaper than the others as well.

Having said that you can get a lightweight 1911. You can also get a 9mm 1911 with 10rnd mags if you want a slightly larger capacity.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    If it were me, and I already had a semi-auto, I'd go with the revolver. I'm not a big revolver guy, but I can see one in my future somewhere down the road.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Under $1000 is a wide range... From my perspective a 686 and a 1911 are kinda different... What is it you wanna do with it? If you just want a new lover, either one would do it for ya. I might go with a Kimber instead of the Springfield 1911 if you want a nice pistol out of the box. The 686 is a nice piece and revolvers have what the french call a certain "I don't know what." both are sexy, but neither as sexy as a Tuba.

There are so many others to consider as well depending on what you want from your gun. Can you narrow the field at all?

As to the red highlighted above, Kimber doesn't make a pistol, even for more money, that will run with this Springfield model! I have owned several Kimbers including a Warrior, Grand Ratpor and the Gold Medal Match models and they were not the shooter the TRP tactical operator is. YMMV Kimbers are overpriced and overated IMHO. :twocents:
    pix194778000.jpg

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    As to the red highlighted above, Kimber doesn't make a pistol, even for more money, that will run with this Springfield model! I have owned several Kimbers including a Warrior, Grand Ratpor and the Gold Medal Match models and they were not the shooter the TRP tactical operator is. YMMV Kimbers are overpriced and overated IMHO. :twocents:
    pix194778000.jpg

+1! I carry a Springfield TRP every day!

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Buy a lightly used ANIB pre-lock 686. You already have an auto and the 686 will not lose value in fact it will go up in value year after year as long as you care for it well:)

↑ This.

S&W wheelguns and 1911's, what's not to like? But, the number of pre-lock S&W revolvers is finite. Buy a clean one now while you still can, yeah they command a hefty price, but you will only cry once. You can buy any number of good new/used/custom 1911's or plastic wonder guns any day of the week.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    pix194778000.jpg

Always good to hear the other side of it. Most of the people I know with a Springer 1911 have had the opposite experience. The gun shoots well, but has taken a fair amount of gunsmithing to make it so. Glad yours is nice!

Top Bottom