• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    In today's climate it wouldn't be as easy as a couple of months ago.

I suppose I would look for a used, double-stack 9mm like a Glock 17, M&P9, XDM or SP2022 for the primary. Considering the budget, if it were a couple of months ago, the first pick would have been a <$400 Sp2022. Again, considering budget, the "backup gun" or EDC would probably be a single stack 9 from as small as a CM9/Nano which can be had for <$400 or maybe a LC9/SR9C/Shield if pocket carry and "BUG" wasn't a necessity.

So:
    CM9/Nano and SP2022. Considering budget and climate, you might squeak by.

However, this part confuses my simple, reptilian brain

My "already EDC?" You mean I can pick two guns along with one I already EDC? If so, then the choices change.

If you mean the "self defense/home defense pistol" is intended to be an EDC simultaneously, then that also changes the selection.

If the big gun is to be an EDC, then it just got smaller. Glock 19 or one of the somewhat smaller "compact" double stack nines.

If the small gun is really a BUG and both are intended for EDC, then the selection for my criteria means it must be pocket (holster) carried. Definitely no bigger than the CM9/Nano (or P290, which was my choice of the three.)

ETA: You gonna EDC that 17/19 with the light or does the light only go onto the gun when it goes into the bedside safe? If EDC, than I would strongly consider a good, separate torch or not try carrying an integrated light on the pistol. My bedside Glock 17 has an attached light but there is also a good torch in that same bedside vault.

You can either have $1000 for a backup if your EDC is already good enough and meets your criteria for EDC, or you can have $1000 for a backup and a new EDC. Basically, you have $1000 to add to what you already have. You have to either pick a backup for your EDC, or a backup and a new EDC. Not looking for me, just curious to what everyone's tastes are.

As for the flashlight comment. I already carry a small flashlight and a penlight everyday, so a rail mounted light is my next step. I keep my penlight in my work jacket and I keep the other flashlight on my nightstand at night and in my pocket once I get dressed.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Oh! Cool.

I'll stick with my P290 as small, concealable BUG, my Glock 36 and shorts/t-shirt EDC, Sig 228 as wintertime EDC and the Glock 17 in the bedside safe. Woot! An even grand for hookers and blow!!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    For $1000 I would get a high point in 9mm and a bryco arms in 380 both from dons guns. That should come out to about a g...:laugh:

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Yes I would make sure that the guns were the same caliber. Better yet that magazines could be exchanged.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Per the criteria listed I would choose a Glock 19 and a S&W J frame.

Real life, I usually carry a Glock 26
    Keep a Glock 17 w/light next to my bed and a Remington 1100 close to my wife.
    I do carry a S&W 638 now and then also.
    :draw:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    How about:

1) Beretta PX4 Storm COMPACT in .40 S&W as a home-based weapon. I like the .40 S&W cartridge, it's only a little more expensive than 9mm (and recently easier to find) but packs a lot more punch. The PX4 is, however, very well behaved in .40 S&W.

Beretta+PX4+Storm+Compact.jpg

2) Beretta BU9 Nano in 9mm as a CC weapon.

Beretta+BU9+Nano.jpg

I've seen the PX4 Compact with 2X 12 rd magazines for $599. The BU9 nano can be found for $399 also with 2X 6 rd mags.

That comes to $998 and leaves you $2 for a cup of coffee!

Oh, sorry, sales tax. Uncle Mike needs his cut also... :(

Top Bottom