• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    If it made USA Today, I'm wondering how long before they reverse that....seen lots of open letters from non-open carry with boycott.... Its TX...not NJ

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Alamo,

Did the changes in TX codes also alter the one about NO open carrry of weapons in liquor selling establishments - which as I read it was the reason for Chipotle (and some others) to probhibit/ ask for no OC events / people at their locations - as it would cost them their license to sell alcohol - the seriously impacting the business?

and if this provision was not changed, does What? that's a burger? sell alcochol ? which would be a logical though easily 'glossed over' issue. ... by both sides. ...

and why does the name of this place sound like a retro wendy's commercial ?

I just don't get where the beef is ?

:joke:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Alamo,

Did the changes in TX codes also alter the one about NO open carrry of weapons in liquor selling establishments - which as I read it was the reason for Chipotle (and some others) to probhibit/ ask for no OC events / people at their locations - as it would cost them their license to sell alcohol - the seriously impacting the business?

and if this provision was not changed, does What? that's a burger? sell alcochol ? which would be a logical though easily 'glossed over' issue. ... by both sides. ...

and why does the name of this place sound like a retro wendy's commercial ?

I just don't get where the beef is ?

:joke:

The law didn't change, but it didn't need to. You can carry in Chipotle and any other restaurant that serves alcohol -- unless the restaurant posts the proper (non-alcohol-related) signage or tells you to your face that you can't carry there.

The law about alcoholic drinks and licensed (both concealed and come 01 Jan 16 open) carry in Texas is that one may not carry in an establishment that derives 51% or more of its income from alcohol served on the premises. The basically encompasses only "true bars" where alcoholic drinks are the main event, and little food is served.

This does not encompass the normal restaurants that also serve alcohol, like TGI Friday's, Twin Peaks, Olive Garden, Morton's, and most especially, Chipotle. (And I checked the online Texas ABC webite -- cannot find any Chipotles that sell that much booze).

Whataburger is a Texas based chain of burger joints that started way back in 1950. It is pretty widespread in Texas and a few other states close by, about 700 restaurants. I think there is a secret amendment to the Texas Constitution that says in order to be considered a town in Texas you have to have a DQ, a Sonic, and a Whataburger. :laugh: Along with the dozen or so Tex Mex places and BBQ joints.

It's unfortunate they decided to make a splash about this, but it is interesting that they are not posting any signs, rather they are going the verbal route. I've never seen one with the 30.06 (no concealed carry sign). If they posted all the required signage to ban both concealed carry and open carry, there would be nothing else on their doors.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nope. We stopped there after visiting Bush Ranch for an early dinner since we dined ala continental that morning. If it has eggs, I can't eat it anyhoo.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't get this: "While open carry will be banned at Whataburger, Atkinson said customers will still be allowed to carry concealed licensed guns and the company is supportive of gun rights. "I want you to know we proudly serve the gun rights community. I personally enjoy hunting and also have my concealed carry license," Atkinson said."

This is like saying, "We support freedom of speech but won't allow people to come into our store with words on their shirts.":rolleyes: WTF???:dunno:

Doug

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I don't get this: "While open carry will be banned at Whataburger, Atkinson said customers will still be allowed to carry concealed licensed guns and the company is supportive of gun rights. "I want you to know we proudly serve the gun rights community. I personally enjoy hunting and also have my concealed carry license," Atkinson said."

This is like saying, "We support freedom of speech but won't allow people to come into our store with words on their shirts.":rolleyes: WTF???:dunno:

Doug

Basically they're saying the don't give a flip about open carry itself, they just think there are more customers that will have problems with open carry than won't and they'll lose business. Give it a couple years and the OMG factor will fade, especially in the non-big city locations.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Basically they're saying the don't give a flip about open carry itself, they just think there are more customers that will have problems with open carry than won't and they'll lose business. Give it a couple years and the OMG factor will fade, especially in the non-big city locations.
    True. I still find it amazing how few people actually notice a gun on my hip.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The law didn't change, but it didn't need to. You can carry in Chipotle and any other restaurant that serves alcohol -- unless the restaurant posts the proper (non-alcohol-related) signage or tells you to your face that you can't carry there.

The law about alcoholic drinks and licensed (both concealed and come 01 Jan 16 open) carry in Texas is that one may not carry in an establishment that derives 51% or more of its income from alcohol served on the premises. The basically encompasses only "true bars" where alcoholic drinks are the main event, and little food is served.

This does not encompass the normal restaurants that also serve alcohol, like TGI Friday's, Twin Peaks, Olive Garden, Morton's, and most especially, Chipotle. (And I checked the online Texas ABC webite -- cannot find any Chipotles that sell that much booze).

Whataburger is a Texas based chain of burger joints that started way back in 1950. It is pretty widespread in Texas and a few other states close by, about 700 restaurants. I think there is a secret amendment to the Texas Constitution that says in order to be considered a town in Texas you have to have a DQ, a Sonic, and a Whataburger. :laugh: Along with the dozen or so Tex Mex places and BBQ joints.

It's unfortunate they decided to make a splash about this, but it is interesting that they are not posting any signs, rather they are going the verbal route. I've never seen one with the 30.06 (no concealed carry sign). If they posted all the required signage to ban both concealed carry and open carry, there would be nothing else on their doors.

Thank you - Indiana's cob-web of laws and trying to track federal stuff is hard enough to try to understand the minutia of another state where I've never been.

SOOO - to put this in simpler terms - they are making a verbal request - to appease the sheep-ostriches with the head in the sand but squawk boxes on full volume (MdA, Everytown etc) ... a request which can more or less be accepted or ignored - and becomes almost meaningless or which will become less and less enforced now that it has been made ...

I'm not planning any trips (sorry, just no way to afford it) so that's my "I care but only to the point of some understanding for now" - summary. ...

we don't have whateverburger around here - unless you count mcdonalds. ...

Top Bottom