Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Affects me personally, not as a job.

My 2012 Traverse was rear ended a week and a half ago and the parts pipline has been stymied to the point Diamond can't get the necessary parts to repair my vehicle. My rental is only good for a certain time.

Yup. Seeing that at my job. Having some issues getting parts to fix GMs crappy transmissions. Most customers understand it's not our fault, but some just can't understand

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    A strike is never going to look good for a union. Most people see union employees as being spoiled. Going on strike just enforces that.

When the strike makes like difficult for someone, they are going to double down on that sentiment.

Like most strikes, this one is going to backfire.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Still wondering when and if this strike will effect the GM vehicle buying public?

Is not the competition stronger than ever? Will this push buyers to that competition?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Still wondering when and if this strike will effect the GM vehicle buying public?

Is not the competition stronger than ever? Will this push buyers to that competition?

The UAW's contract with each of the big three automaker expired simultaneously on September 14th. The UAW picked the auto maker it believed was most vulnerable, then made its demands and not having been satisfied with the negotiations went on strike.

When the strike is inevitably ended, the UAW will then take the deal to FCA and Ford and essentially say- here it is....it would shame if we had to go on strike when you know what the result will be anyway.

Ford and FCA really, really want GM to make a good deal...it's obvious why.

What I am getting at is it's not like Ford and FCA are oh-so kinder to the UAW...they just weren't chosen.

GM knew this was coming. They have inventory...for now. They will be up and running before too much of a dent is made in sales....if any.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

"The buying public" likely has no idea a strike is even going on...

Aren't you and I the buying public, along with everyone reading this?

What about recent grads, do we think they are uninformed about the current workplace?

I bought my first new vehicles, shortly after graduation age at 20 years old. The future was so bright, I had to wear shades. :@ya:

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A small percentage of the country may care enough about this that it might affect their decision.

Of that percentage, a much smaller percentage might actually be looking to buy a new car right now.

Of those that are looking, some percentage will be brand loyal or model loyal and won't think about buying elsewhere, strike or no strike.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have bought one (1) new vehicle in my life. It was a Hyundai that I bought 8 years ago. This strike will have zero (0) effect on my buying habits.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most people buy a vehicle based on color and cup holders. The vast majority of this country is one step up from just drooling on itself. So long as they have sports and reality television, they don't really care what happens.

Do people value education? No. Of the people who value education, how many of those want to learn about cars? Of those who learn about cars, how many of them also follow politics?

This whole discussion won't go much more than a stone's throw further than this thread.

Hell, we can't even get more than 30% of the voting public to show up once every 4 years.

People are literally fat, dumb, and happy, and desperately want to stay that way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have bought one (1) new vehicle in my life. It was a Hyundai that I bought 8 years ago. This strike will have zero (0) effect on my buying habits.

I stopped buying "New" with the 97 Yukon we had. Nothing new hits us to the point I will take out a mortgage to buy a freaking vehicle.

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    The company i work for has the union members on strike because my company wouldn't pay subcontractors the same as the union members. They have been on strike now for 3 months, and legally members are allowed to resign from the union and go back to work in out plants. The President of the union called all these members who left "Scabs" that needed to be picked off. Some of these people worked for the union for 20+ years. It is scary to see all of the politics. Unions were supposed to be good things i thought.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Unions are out for unions (and communism), they lost all relevance with OSHA. Currently they just fight to keep the drug abusers and incompetents on the line.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :dunno: Leadeye has mentioned that one of the biggest issues with his place of employment is finding workers that can pass the drug testing?

Top Bottom