• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Flounder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2019
    Huntington
    Unions are out for unions (and communism), they lost all relevance with OSHA. Currently they just fight to keep the drug abusers and incompetents on the line.

Spoken like a true outsider looking in feeding off of the media, rumors and false information you've been given. With all due respect, of course. :p

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Unions are out for unions (and communism), they lost all relevance with OSHA. Currently they just fight to keep the drug abusers and incompetents on the line.

Yep everyone knows that non union shops don't have drug abusers or incompetents working the line:rolleyes:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have worked in two unionized healthcare facilities. Stroger (cook county) and the VA in Indy. Both shocked me at how poorly the staff functioned compared to non-union places. No one could be fired.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Spoken like a true outsider looking in feeding off of the media, rumors and false information you've been given. With all due respect, of course. :p

:laugh: Spoken like a true insider who is a :koolaid: Dad was 30 years UAW, he still tells the stories.

Nothing respectful is every followed by (or preceded by) the words "with all due respect".

Oh yeah, :welcome: to :ingo:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    And which ones are brought back to the line after being kicked off it? Only in a union shop.

Yep, and we have to deal with them too. A couple things you might not realize...

1. Unions are required, by law, to represent them whether they like it or not.
    2. In order for them to return to the line, management has to agree. Whether you like it or not, management has a part in the drug addicts and general idiots working there.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I believe everyone can be redeemed whether in a union shop or not and returned to work it they follow ADEPTs rules. If you have a drug or alcohol problem, most companies that are not unionized doesn't have that program. That is one of the reasons I like a union shop. It was part of collective bargaining. There are other perks too. I haven't had to use it personally but I have had to be placed into a handicapped code job. I haven't seen many shops hire the handicapped even tho they won't come out and say it as they will get their pee-pee whacked by the government.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    And which ones are brought back to the line after being kicked off it? Only in a union shop.

The company put them back on the line not the union. It is the unions job to try to defend them.
    It is a BS rumor that you can't be fired in a union shop I knew several that were fired from the plant I worked at.
    The unions have there faults and I had/have issues with them but the company signed my pay check not the union and I did my job to the best of my ability and didn't worry about what other did or didn't do.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nothing is ever done for free.
    To bring back a worker fired for just cause.....what was the price?
    What greivances didnt get paid, what outsourcing happened etc.
    Good workers know they paid something to bring back a person that probably doesnt give two chits about them.
    Problem is.....they have no say in the matter.
    But the union by saving a bad workers job gets a democrat voter for life.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Btw.....seen plenty of screw ups in salaried.
    Thieves too.
    Turned one in.
    He still works there
    I got laid off.

All higher ups want suck arses, want to own those below. And now you know why the GM ignition deal went bad, involved so many. Not a culture of integrity. Nope. Everybody out for themselves.....keep the checks coming and hopefully retire. Kick the can down the road.

Newsflash.....its not just in automotive companies

Big Flounder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2019
    Huntington
    Nothing respectful is every followed by (or preceded by) the words "with all due respect".

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Now wait a minute right there. I put the :pafter "with all due respect" so you HAD to take it respectfully. I think that's the law of the internet right? Lol! Seriously, I didn't mean any disrespect with my reply. It's just that I hear that the union only protects the worthless folks crap all of the time, and up until a few years ago I believed it too. But I was a union rep for 2 1/2 years and....mind you I can only speak for my experience at the Fort Wayne GM plant...it's so not true. Yeah, I had to go represent a couple of folks with addiction issues, whether it be drugs or alcohol, but it was a very small part of my job. Making management abide by the contract when it came to getting people paid correctly or when they violated safety issues in the name of getting trucks out the door was by far the bigger part of being a union rep. So was letting a grown man cry on my shoulder for an hour when he lost his wife in a car accident. So was representing 5 women who were being severely sexually harassed and bullied at work by one of our upper management people. He no longer works for the company. So was taking one of our two drug addicts (out of 200+ people in my district) south of Indy to a rehab facility on my own time and dime because they didn't have another ride. And when it comes to the drug addicts and drunks, management does just as much to "protect" them as the union does, if not more so. But both sides know that simply firing that person isn't going to help them. Both those of us on the union side and those I dealt with on the management side want to help the person get better. But like I said, that was super rare at our plant. And people don't see all that stuff. They don't see my phone going off around the clock because some has a simple question or dinner out with my wife being cut short because someone got hurt at the plant. Anyway, I could ramble for hours on that stuff and it comes from time in the trenches.

As for the OSHA stuff, I am now a UAW Health & Safety Trainer at the plant and have been for a year. I can tell you that your statement about OSHA and the UAW isn't true either. Far from it, at least at Fort Wayne Assembly. In most cases the safety standards at work actually go above and beyond the OSHA requirements whereas other manufacturers only meet the criteria to pass an OSHA inspection.

Anyway, like I said, I don't mean to sound like a prick. Nor am I drinking the Kool-Aid. I simply have served as the union rep and people on the outside, or heck most of them on the inside for that matter, have no clue how much work that position is or what it truly involves.

Last but not least, thanks for the welcome. Lol! This website truly is nothing short of awesome.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A small percentage of the country may care enough about this that it might affect their decision.

Of that percentage, a much smaller percentage might actually be looking to buy a new car right now.

Of those that are looking, some percentage will be brand loyal or model loyal and won't think about buying elsewhere, strike or no strike.

Wouldn’t have affected my decision. These things happen. Strikes don’t last forever.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Wouldn’t have affected my decision. These things happen. Strikes don’t last forever.

If they do it's because the companies find doing business there unprofitable and fold up shop to leave town. Go look at the glory that is South Bend, Gary or Detroit.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Top Bottom