• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I'm gonna do a uds build this spring. I have barrels but they are food grade and have the red liner. This thread has me worried about how to get the inner paint off it, but the barrel only cost me a couple bucks so hopefully I don't regret it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    View attachment 38438

I build them out of lithium grease drums from the local tractor-trailer oil change place. The grease is inside a plastic bag inside the drum so the drum is basically clean and new, the only grease on it is stuck to the underside of the lid.

i've looked up the MSDS on the grease and it is just mineral oil and soap, with limited health concerns. None the less, I still power wash them, burn them out with pallets and power wash again.

I know the words foodgrade sound great, but I can't imagine that burnt and then powderized epoxy can in anyway be good for you, particularly during the build process when you are removing it.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm gonna do a uds build this spring. I have barrels but they are food grade and have the red liner. This thread has me worried about how to get the inner paint off it, but the barrel only cost me a couple bucks so hopefully I don't regret it.

If it was me, I'd call around and get a quote on having it sand blasted. I mean I'm pretty dang cheap and definitely the DIY type, but I had no interest in tackling a red liner.

I build them out of lithium grease drums from the local tractor-trailer oil change place. The grease is inside a plastic bag inside the drum so the drum is basically clean and new, the only grease on it is stuck to the underside of the lid.

i've looked up the MSDS on the grease and it is just mineral oil and soap, with limited health concerns. None the less, I still power wash them, burn them out with pallets and power wash again.

These drums sound ideal. I couldn't find any like that, most had contained motor oil or antifreeze with no plastic bags. Just not worth messing with, in my opinion.

Good to see another ugly drum fan here!

The pork loin with rub (I used maple syrup on the loin before the rub) and the baked beans were both amazing. Both were big hits.

Glad the recipes worked out for you! Maple syrup's an interesting choice. I usually use mustard before the rub. Might have to give that a try.

That Brinkmann seems to do the job pretty well for you.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I used mustard the last couple times and it works really well. I got an email about a pork recipe using maple syrup a while back and I thought it would be perfect for this setup. And yes, the ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman ) works quite well for me. :)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    most had contained motor oil or antifreeze with no plastic bags. Just not worth messing with, in my opinion.
    IMHO, paint, epoxy coating, motor oil, they're all relatively the same for health concern. Hot equal bad, because they can off-gas nasty chemicals. But you can use that to your advantage, heat makes them off-gas nasty chemicals. IE, get them hot enough and all the nasty stuff disappears. I would MUCH rather burn off a film of residual motor oil (unused) on a non-food-grade barrel over trying to burn off the epoxy coating on a food-grade barrel. Once that epoxy coating is gone the magical "food-grade" is completely moot. Afterall, both are made of steel (likely the exact same steel) and both are releasing nasty chemicals when burned, one just does so much more cleanly. Wipe the drum out, light big fire in drum, oil will burn out leaving carbon behind. Brush carbon out, make tasty meat.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If it was me, I'd call around and get a quote on having it sand blasted. I mean I'm pretty dang cheap and definitely the DIY type, but I had no interest in tackling a red liner.

This. I've tackled the red liner, and if I do another one, I'll have it blasted. I was quoted $50 to blast it to bare metal inside and out.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I'm doing an experiment tonight. Trying to use my 18" kettle grill as a smoker. Have some chicken leg quarters on now, so far so good!

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    That's easy with chicken. Might need to keep the intake choked a bit. Good luck, share pics!

I had the vents wide open but added a loaf pan of water next to the wood to help regulate temp. Overall, the chicken was good and the grill seemed to keep pretty constant temp, although without a thermometer, I don't know what the temp was. Good test run, gonna try a pork loin next.

No pics, the camera on my phone is broken

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    zCS7XU.jpg
    Trying to get uds food pics to work so bear with me.
    pidcYU.jpg

Before and after stuffed butterflied pork loin.

Top Bottom