• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have one on order and will be doing a full video review including details on how it's installed. I'll also compare it to the Ultimak system which I already have.

I should have the review in a week or so.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If you have a reason for me to save $100.00+ , that I can spend on ammo or something else, please let me know. I haven't heard from all that many people who have them yet and would be interested in any honest opinions.

I understand the US PALM upper unit made for the Aimpoint Micro did/does not allow co-witnessing, as was originally advertised. :xmad:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I understand the US PALM upper unit made for the Aimpoint Micro did/does not allow co-witnessing, as was originally advertised. :xmad:

It's my understanding that it's only the Vortex Sparc that doesn't co-witness because the culminator interferes. All other RDS's they sell US Palm top rails for do co-witness. This is reflected on their website (they tell you the Sparc doesn't co-witness).

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Arsenal runs that same stock and forend on one of their models.

Check This Link out for price and Info K-Var Corp. ™

d_1303.jpg

d_1304.jpg

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Unfortunately they list the rifle as out of stock, which is common for Arsenal. Their models come and go, sometimes quickly.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

If you have a reason for me to save $100.00+ , that I can spend on ammo or something else, please let me know. I haven't heard from all that many people who have them yet and would be interested in any honest opinions.

First off, let me say that its definitely a quality hand guard/rail. I don't see myself switching to anything else in the near future.

Also, let it be known that my rifle is a Saiga conversion, so I have the Saiga specific MI rail on it. This is where most of my beef about the setup spawns from. The Saiga specific model is made just a tad longer than the standard AK model (so the co-witness US Palm set up won't fit snugly on it). Also, without the standard upper gas tube guard plate and lower retainer, the rail just kinda "ends" (for lack of better words). Looks sort of unfinished to me. The side rails stick out enough that the rifle just doesn't look "flush". I would LOVE to see this rail made with just the upper and lower rails as I don't have a use for the sides.

All of my reasoning most likely doesn't have to do with any of your decisions on this rail. When I was doing my conversion, I was looking for something that would expose the gas tube (like a standard AK should look) and didn't require me to buy a new upper gas tube and lower retainer (like all other hand guards that expose the gas tube do). The MI setup gave me that option.

I've "heard" from different sources that the mounting system for this MI rail messes with the barrels harmonics. I cannot confirm or deny this, nor do I really care. It's just something you might want to think about.

Sorry for my short input earlier and I'm sure I want something different in a hand guard/rail system than anyone else here does. In either case, at least I can whore a picture..

Notice how on the Saiga specific model, the rail just ends. There are no retainers to give it a flush "put together look". Also, because the rail at the bottom sits flush with the bottom of the receiver, while the rest of the piece is curved, you can actually see into the bottom of the receiver (meaning, there is a gap at the bottom corners of the receiver).

folder2.png

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Mr. Jag, thanks for the input. I understand where you are coming from. A couple of things, as you pointed out, it does make a difference being for a Saiga. The big difference here is the fact that the one you are using is all MI. The one we are talking about is a collabaration between U.S. Palm and Midwest Industries, it is a different upper.

Thanks again.
    Merry Christmas

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Given the wide range of dimensional/tolerance stacking on AKs, the only safe way to know if something co-witnesses or not is to actually mount it up and sight it in.

This rifle [Arsenal 107] has a lower 1/3 cowitness with our MI/US PALM rail kit and either the RMR or T1. Having shot both extensively, I have to admit I'm gravitating towards the RMR in a big way.

LAV_2288_533_354_90.jpg

This is a response from US PALM.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Yeah, the RMR option is something else. It takes the concept to a whole new level, IMHO. The ruggedness of the RMR and the very small footprint make it ideal for a rifle that's going to be treated rough.

I ordered the US Palm RMR upper as well. I will put an LED powered RMR on this rifle, and I will also compare the LED RMR to my tritium powered RMR. I know there are limits to the tritium sight which I hope to document in a side by side review.

Anyway, being able to see how the RMR looked on the US Plam upper pushed me over the edge when I ordered my rail system the other day. It looks like it belongs on there.

How do you like the rather narrow field of view through the RMR on the rifle. I suspect it's still relatively fast to pick up, unlike a handgun which takes lots of practice to return the pistol to the same place to quickly pick up the dot. With the rifle you have several index points that make getting the sight in the proper spot for quick acquisition possible, or so I would think.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Meh.

I do like it better than the original US palm that wouldn't co-witness, but I still don't think I would like it as much as an ultimak.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Meh.

I do like it better than the original US palm that wouldn't co-witness, but I still don't think I would like it as much as an ultimak.

The Ultimak is great, I have one on my Red Jacket Saiga. The US Palm unit is about what, a third of the price of a whole Ultimak rail system? Plus, you still have the heat issue. An Ultimak gets very hot. Again, not dissing the Ultimak, they are the top, but there is room for something else.

Top Bottom