• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    That's easy man, anyone can do that! Wait, did you say seconds or minutes? :):

I'm trying to learn the proper grip to enable speed shooting so that the recoil is controlled, and not having much luck. Any tips?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That's easy man, anyone can do that! Wait, did you say seconds or minutes? :):

I'm trying to learn the proper grip to enable speed shooting so that the recoil is controlled, and not having much luck. Any tips?

Read/study Brian Enos' book for the how-to on the grip and what you should be seeing. Do timing drills.

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    ^^^^
    Shannon really explains this very well, especially rolling the weak hand wrist forward into a cant position and locking it.
    Alot of people miss how important the weak hand side of your grip is in shooting.
    Alot of shooters are told to have a hard grip, most mistake this and make their strong hand have more grip pressure, and this is where crap shots come from. If you are squeezing hard with your strong hand you are doing so with the whole hand and fingers and also trying to work the trigger, most of the time this is going to cause your shots to go low left.
    Just hold up your hand, make it stiff, tight like you are griping something and then try working your trigger finger, you will notice that all your fingers move, this pulls the firearm down and to the left.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I plan on spending a lot of time working on my grip before next spring. Those videos have some really good info to work with during dry fire practice. Thanks Jake.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Somebody give that guy a role in an action movie. It would be nice to see someone that knows how to actually handle and work a gun sweep up some bad guys.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Somebody give that guy a role in an action movie. It would be nice to see someone that knows how to actually handle and work a gun sweep up some bad guys.

Have you ever seen the episode of "Miami Vice" where Jim Zubiena (an IPSC shooter from the 80s) did some bada** pistol work?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    [video=youtube_share;KJrA7wMXuuQ]http://youtu.be/KJrA7wMXuuQ[/video]

That is helpful I think. The other videos were great for the basic grip, but I've known that for years, and still have recoil issues when it comes to rapid fire or double taps (second shot is off by 6" for example). I'm well aware that the trick is in canting the support hand forward and locking it, but just haven't had any success with that yet. Maybe its because my hands are so big, but when I cant my left wrist forward it leaves an air pocket, which negates the benefit, so I'll keep working at it. This video gave some very specific guidance in that area, and we all know the devil is in the tiniest of details.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    "The Grip" feels like **** until you get used to it.
    I think the hardest thing to get across in the videos is grip pressure.
    I struggle with it all the time. The strong hand grip should be firm,but not so firm that you can't manipulate the trigger properly.
    The weak hand should be as firm as you can stand.If it just goes along for the ride,which is what I struggle with,it's not doing much for you.

By the way the guys in the video clips are using light loads

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yes! The only part I don't like is when he locks the slide to the rear. He should have reloaded!

What's even cooler if you watch the frame by frame, is that he actually fired 3 times. The audio crew only dubbed in 2.

And for grip, the cup n saucer works for me.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I plan on spending a lot of time working on my grip before next spring. Those videos have some really good info to work with during dry fire practice. Thanks Jake.

Dry fire is a wonderful tool, but some things just have to be learned while putting lead through the pipe. Dry fire a little to get used to where your hands go etc, but the small adjustments and getting it right for best recoil control needs... Well, recoil.
    Timing drills. Bill drills. El prez, mag dumps into the berm....

still have recoil issues when it comes to rapid fire or double taps (second shot is off by 6" for example). I'm well aware that the trick is in canting the support hand forward and locking it, but just haven't had any success with that yet. Maybe its because my hands are so big, but when I cant my left wrist forward it leaves an air pocket,

Every body is different. Just look at the top shooters for the subtle differences in grip... Hand angle, thumb position, elbow height, etc. you have to adjust the "ideal" grip to fit you.

As as for follow up shots being off, the real trick is in what you SEE... Breaking the shot when the sights tell you you are on target vs trusting your grip to put the follow up shot where you want it. The grip helps return the sights and control how high they lift... Your vision tells you its time to break the shot.
    Not to sound like a broken record, but I like timing drills to help learn this...

-rvb

Top Bottom