Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    A good water filter with a way to store it in your bag like a bladder
    Anything to cover blisters
    Clean socks
    Baby wipes
    A small net to go over your hat to keep the bugs away from your face aka "no see ums net" https://gearthirty.com/all-products/first-aid/ust-no-see-um-head-net

I do alot of hiking and these items I probably rely on the most from my hiking bag. Since I've really got into hiking, I've added one of these nets to my GHB.

Last edited:

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    All good ideas here. I would add a Eton solar/hand crank radio that has a USB port and flashlight. Always nice to know what is going on out there and any incoming weather. A way to filter and boil water. A few MREs and Ramen noodle packets. No water or food equals not getting home. A couple of heavy duty 55 gallon trash weigh almost nothing and can be turned into shelter, rain gear, water containers, and more.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Some good printed maps for the area you are in that will get you from where you might be to where you want to go.

A notebook with some checklist and information you may not remember when in a stressful situation.

The recurring theme throughout the thread seems to be water. Keeping with that theme in mind here is small water acquisition tool:

maxresdefault.jpg

I also like at least one of my water containers capable of boiling water in so I do not have to carry an extra boiling container. I have put something very similar to this together and it all nestles together including the extra cup for my wife around the Nalgene steel bottle.

Lost Wild Outdoors Nalgene 38 oz Stainless Steel Deluxe Bottle Kit

s576825973440422192_p105_i2_w640.jpeg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All good ideas here. I would add a Eton solar/hand crank radio that has a USB port and flashlight. Always nice to know what is going on out there and any incoming weather. A way to filter and boil water. A few MREs and Ramen noodle packets. No water or food equals not getting home. A couple of heavy duty 55 gallon trash weigh almost nothing and can be turned into shelter, rain gear, water containers, and more.

It would be a good idea to also have another flashlight that you can charge via the USB to microUSB cable.

I also like at least one of my water containers capable of boiling water in so I do not have to carry an extra boiling container. I have put something very similar to this together and it all nestles together including the extra cup for my wife around the Nalgene steel bottle.

Lost Wild Outdoors Nalgene 38 oz Stainless Steel Deluxe Bottle Kit

That's a good kit! I have everything in it (different brands) except for the little nesting bottle stove. I need to get one of those to add to mine.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    That's a good kit! I have everything in it (different brands) except for the little nesting bottle stove. I need to get one of those to add to mine.

Mine is a mix and match and added the stove ordered from the link when I saw it. Just like Russian(*) Dolls my steel bottle nestles inside my cup (2 - one on each end) and the cup nestles inside the stove with the open side straddling the cup handle. The only thing missing in the kit/photo to make it complete is a lid. I got mine from the hot water receptacle cover on an office grade Bunn coffee maker. Another option for a lid is from a cookie tin, fits perfectly over the cup or bottle to shorten boiling times.

PF-8783-PiroChocHazel.jpg

(*) The Russian Dolls I refer to have no connection with Trump or Putin although I imagine shirtless Putin had a few Russian Dolls on vacation with him.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    I didn’t see where anyone mention hiking boots.
    I have a spreadsheet for a checklist if I going on a 2 or 3 day hike, that is the stuff I want in my car for a “Get home bag”. During the cold weather months I’ll keep a blanket and more food.
    This is in the trunk strapped to the back of the back seat.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow there are some tremendous suggestions in here, and I appreciate every one of them. I have my bad ordered, all I need now are the goodies.

Not to hijack my own thread, but since someone recommended navigation devices. I'm looking at a garmin with topographic maps preloaded. I plan on keeping it closed in an EMP bag or two. My question is, in the event of an EMP, would something like that still work? Or would the satellites be taken out?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Condoms. When I'm having a bad day or the world is ending, nothing picks me up quite like getting some trim. You may not get the opportunity, but if you do you certainly can't afford to deal with VD or a cumbersome pregnancy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine is a mix and match and added the stove ordered from the link when I saw it. Just like Russian(*) Dolls my steel bottle nestles inside my cup (2 - one on each end) and the cup nestles inside the stove with the open side straddling the cup handle. The only thing missing in the kit/photo to make it complete is a lid. I got mine from the hot water receptacle cover on an office grade Bunn coffee maker. Another option for a lid is from a cookie tin, fits perfectly over the cup or bottle to shorten boiling times.

(*) The Russian Dolls I refer to have no connection with Trump or Putin although I imagine shirtless Putin had a few Russian Dolls on vacation with him.

I don't have a lid for my cup either, but using the lid from the cookie tin is a neat idea. Thank you!

I've been looking for small "stoves" that you can use any kind of combustible materials available underneath and that version that will nest with my cup and water bottle looks like the ideal thing.

Those molle water bottle carriers make great minimalist kits as well. You have the containers inside, plus you can put stuff inside of the bottle if it's not filled with water (yet). The pocket on the front holds plenty and you can add more pouches with the molle loops. Right now I have some fire-making gear, a Spyderco Military, a wad of aluminum foil, a ziptop bag. some chlorine dioxide tabs, and a few other small items.

Condoms. When I'm having a bad day or the world is ending, nothing picks me up quite like getting some trim. You may not get the opportunity, but if you do you certainly can't afford to deal with VD or a cumbersome pregnancy.

The girls are dazzled by your romantic nature, Jackson!

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    my kit, when assembled, (it is currently strewn about, note to self) consists of cheap tent, sleeping bag (changes by season) attached to pack, multiple firestarting materials, water treatment (microfilter and UV), water bottle attached to pack. cliff bars in winter, ramen in summer (bars melt, the peanut butter chocolate builders bars are amazing). mess kit with micro stove. First Aid kit. watertight pouches with instant coffee and creamer/sugar (i do not drink coffee but the wife has to have it), mio energy _my caffeine fix), pack of marlboro red 100s in a watertight box (keeps wife happy). 2 brand new pairs of socks (there is almost nothing better for a quick pick me up than a brand new pair of socks) always keep a case of water in the truck and replace when it hits the halfway mark. i have a tote in my truck that inside usually resides a pair of boots, diapers and wipes for the little one, and whatever else depending on season (cold weather clothes, blankets, etc). everything the does not normally reside in the truck stays in a compartmentalized paintball back pack, works well, easy to carry distance if need be.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Most of you have para cord, but a small spool of stainless steel picture wire is great for snares. That is if you are planing long term.

Top Bottom