• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I know one guy who leaves his holster at his entryway so that it is a clue to the uninvited guest that the missing gun is fixin to be coming out of the bedroom.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I know one guy who leaves his holster at his entryway so that it is a clue to the uninvited guest that the missing gun is fixin to be coming out of the bedroom.

While kinda funny, why give any hints that could remove or reduce any advantage?

Seems like the visual version of racking the slide on a 12 gauge.

To the right (wrong?) criminal, a holster may just be confirmation he's in the right place (thar be guns here).

:dunno:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: Doffing and donning the loaded holster is a right good way to go about things.

I have a bedside "safe" for my carry guns. BUT, 1 of them doesn't fit in there with its normal OWB carry holster. So with that one, I set out the storage holster, slowly draw the gun, slowly and carefully insert it into the storage holster, and then put it into the storage safe again.

The more a firearm is manipulated the higher the chances for a negligent discharge. And that includes the asinine practice of "speed drawing" a loaded handgun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :popcorn:

FWIW, I practice with an unloaded gun, otherwise, it stays in the holster.

Outside of my basement, there really isn't a truly safe direction in my home.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The guy shot himself and his kid and then didn't seek help for the kid...and this irresponsible behavior is supposed to relate how to someone following the choose your 3, 4, or 15 safety rules? Finger on trigger? No. Pointing at folks? No. If you are uncomfortable with the procedure then don't do it. It's not like the bullets are vials of unstable nitro...or they would go off and shoot people on their own. There are no accidents, I'll agree with that.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    9b639980a26d731b9aa00125786d0acb.jpg

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    As we have 2 little kids that act like alarm clocks, mine gets stored in the nightstand drawer, with a latch on the drawer, holstered. Girlfriend keeps hers on the top shelf of the closet holstered, that's one step away from her side of the bed.

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    Usually, doesn't any practice draw include a dry fire/snap cap type of thing? Mine does. (Why just practice drawing without, "Aim & Fire", also?)"Fast draw", or any practice with a loaded firearm seems somewhat, "Safety Challenged".

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    As others have written, i remove mine as a unit, place in nightstand drawer. in morning, replace to my right side. Being an old school Leather guy, used lots of different styles, got a tub full. Don Hume makes an IWB with a super clip and perfect wet molding for fit. #715. I'm doing some kydex models, mostly IWB also. They have a wider clip on and really easy to don or remove. Fit is also great.

I really don't handle the gun after in the rig, unless storing in my safe.(unloaded and secure)

If i'm keeping my EDC concealed with not removing in a pancake style holster, I keep a Hume or Kydex handy and safely remove and install. Sometimes the models don't have a retention strap, but do fit the weapon thru wet molding. The least dangerous moves are best. Never do fast draw MacGraw! Don't want bullet holes in my house! Good luck.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I carry a hammer gun with a safety in a retention holster. I flip safety on, unholster, place on nightstand while flipping safety off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My holsters all thread in or snap or clamp on. There was a time, not so long ago, where clip on's were not to be trusted. I don't know where those stand on reliability now?

I've been using an UltiClip on a Raven VG3 around the house here. I still worry when I draw to un-holster whether the holster is still in my pants or on the gun, as it did occasionally with Raven's clip?

My other work pants have a holster that lives threaded in the belt on them. No worries about the holster coming out with the gun there.

I live rural and know exactly where a bullet will safely stop if one of my inside "targets" were actually shot. I draw and push out to a "target" at the top and bottom of every day. Top of the day gets the mag dropped and a press check to verify gun function daily also.

Four rules always adhered to.

BKahuna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Thanks again everyone.
    It's great to hear the different practices, and even more, the reasoning behind it. Looks like I can stick with what I'm doing, for now.

Top Bottom