• ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'll show some love for the Unimog, I'd love to have one! :rockwoot:

A guy in Bloomington, at Allroad Motorsports, was building this one years ago. I don't know if he ever finished it. It was pretty sweet. I had this guy rebuild and balance a turbocharger for me...

unimog.jpg

Yep, he finished it and unfortunately had to sell it. That thing was awesome! He rebuilt most of it himself and welded up the cage from tubing. It looked pretty cool with a canvas top stretched over it. That thing would go ANYWHERE! His Ex has a decent stock Unimog also. Jim is a great mechanic and extremely fair in his pricing. His shop is just South of Btown off of 37.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I would like to find a set of portals to put under my Kruiser! I could probably run 44s without any more lift, and the gearing is awesome!

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I would like to find a set of portals to put under my Kruiser! I could probably run 44s without any more lift, and the gearing is awesome!

The portals are great axles but have a super long pinion snout. This causes some serious drive train interference issues with low hanging oil pans. I am really not sure how the Land Cruiser drive train is but on jeeps you have to move the axle pretty far forward (not necessarily a bad thing).

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Those unimogs are pretty cool, but it seems like the older I get the less inclined I am to want to wrench on stuff (especially vehicles).

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Jim is a great mechanic and extremely fair in his pricing. His shop is just South of Btown off of 37.

Yup, he is just off 37 on the south side. Agreed! he treated me great even despite the small, menial work I had him do. He didn't charge me a dime because he quoted a week to get it done, it took two weeks, he felt bad about it taking so long and though I didn't care, he still refused to have me pay for services rendered. My turbo, which leaked like a sieve before the rebuild, ran like a well oiled top for 6 years on a constant 16psi of boost!

I haven't talked to Jim since the day I picked up my turbo, and I have even since sold that car.... But yeah, Jim was and I'm sure still is a really cool guy. Shame to hear about his Unimog though. That thing was awesome. I did get to see it in person at the time. He was very proud of his work. It was definitely a cool rig!

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    That mog (Freightliner) on E-bay is my friends that I discussed above. He gets anywhere from 7-12 of them per year and sells them from his shop on e-bay.

Dirty Steve

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I can't imagine that I am the only one who loves these things on INGO. Well I was doing some surfing on www.govliquidation.com and found these bad boys 2420 - Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidationout in Washington state.

Is actually a terrible freaking vehicle...

If I remember correctly most of the Parts are a Mix between Freightliner and MB. We had a Terrible time in the Army keeping ahead of the repairs to keep them working at all..

We called them SEE's (Small Emplacement Excavator...
    Small Emplacement Excavator (SEE)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Is actually a terrible freaking vehicle...

If I remember correctly most of the Parts are a Mix between Freightliner and MB. We had a Terrible time in the Army keeping ahead of the repairs to keep them working at all..

We called them SEE's (Small Emplacement Excavator...
    Small Emplacement Excavator (SEE)

The few times I ever saw those out with the engineers, the suspension always looked ready to implode. Not sure I ever saw one dig.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ok...Where can I get one and what do the cheap ones go for?

Since they haven't made that model in years, you need to watch eBay and a couple of the Mog fan sites. The 406/416/419 models are NOT cheap - often $20K and up. You can get into the old 404s (1960 and early 70 model) for $10K-ish. Newer models (mid-80's and up) are way different, and more like commercial vehicles. And WAY expensive - like $100K.

Remember, they are essentially tractors outfitted like a truck. Top speed around 45 MPH. Even in stock trim, they will crawl over ANYTHING.

Top Bottom