• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If we're going with fantasy books, I like the Lord of the Rings better.

I take it you're not a Tolkien fan.

It's ironic (as well as amusing) that Gabriel used LOTR as a backhanded insult to those of Christian faith. There are shadows (it's not allegorical though) of the Christian faith throughout Tolkien's writings. J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Catholic and man of faith. He was instrumental in the conversion of another great writer and future (he was an atheist at the time) Christian apologist ... C.S. Lewis. The story of his (Lewis) conversion is told in the book The Inklings and personally recounted in Surprised by Joy. Together, these two literary giants viewed themselves as "sub-creators" with God being the original and real creator.

To those of faith, the insinuation is inflammatory and unnecessary and would be considered a crass comment in most circles.

The internet allows people to speak and act in ways that civil folks would never consider appropriate in face-to-face exchanges.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    To kind of redirect this back into line, even a little bit late, I recently re-read the book. The question I have is about the, I guess, reality of some of the situations portrayed in the book. I was too young to really buy much of anything during the assault weapons ban so I don't know if a lot of the mentions have changed, or what. For example, one reference is made to people being charged with selling firearms without a license if they buy a gun from a private party and are offered more to sell it to another private party shortly thereafter. This is a scene with a couple of ATF agents that actually gets the main character on their radar for the stuff they do down the road. There is so much true history in the book that it makes it hard to see what's real and what's artistic license, I guess - like the ATF agent slamming a pregnant woman up against the wall during a raid and causing her to miscarry, for example. Part of the story, or really happened?

Top Bottom