Union Belle refuses to holster. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hate to be "that guy", but we are all thinking it. OP mentioned pants fitted nice enough to lock a G26 firmly in place. Before passing judgement I think we need to see some pictures to Asscertain the situation. Hard to give advice otherwise.

I see what you're doing there. I SEE IT!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Unfortunately you won't be able to make that point and help. Although you could start leaving articles around about ADs with no holsters and or bad holsters. Plenty of those to find.
    And, she is lucky, in all my MP units heaven forbid you not have a holster. As in you and a supervisor would be getting smoked. And no idea how she could have the pistol tucked like that with body armor right over or even partially covered by the armor. Unless it was around the FOB, and why would you try that in PTs, as they barely hold keys without falling down? Not saying it couldn't be done, just saying that the holster always made it easier.

This guy was a MP for a long time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If she's right-handed, never be on her left.

This is just dumb. Sorry, plain dumb.

"Worked so far"? In that she hasn't shot herself or someone else accidentally yet? When that happens will it be "only was a problem for 3 seconds out of the years I did it"?

Anyhoo, yeah...probably not going to change her. Just stay out of the line of fire and pray that the luck doesn't run out.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    SHE. WILL. NOT. LISTEN. TO. YOU. Mine is the same way. Luckily my big issue is much more harmless. (she aims the side mirrors on the car in so far the body of the car takes up literally 1/2 the mirror, creating huge blind spots. She refuses to change.)

Now that we have that straight. Take her to speak with someone she feels is an authority on the matter. A respected trainer. Let him explain the difference between a glock without an appropriate safety for holsterless carry and a M9 with a safety catch and a heavy a** DA pull. Go for lessons, give him a heads-up of your concerns ahead of time, and let him see it and call her out on it. An intervention by an expert is your only hope.

Even better. Buy her a Crossbreed Supertuck. She can still carry how she wants, without bulk. That Raven gizmo might also work for her. She just HAS to cover that trigger. For all practical purposes of this discussion, a Glock has no safety. You just cant carry a safety-less pistol without a covered trigger IMHO.

But even buying her a tool to make it safe wont likely help unless she has been convinced by someone she trusts and respects.

They will not listen. They just will not.
    Now if one of her girl friends says it is wrong/dangerous she will most likely listen.

My spouse pays attention at the range. Beyond that its her world.

+1: With rare exceptions, even logical women are very strongly influenced by emotional decisionmaking... (not that men aren't but women slightly more so in my experience. My wife is). Your logical arguments, while right, mean jack. The most you can do is approach it as "would you suggest someone else carries w/o a holster?" if she says yes, you're screwed. If she says no, keep pushing by asking why not and why it applies to others but not her.

As her husband, you are an expert in NOTHING that she was an MP and has done it for years further diminishes your credibility. Much like parents telling kids to do something a million times to no avail then a friend saying so once and they do it, you telling her will do little good. The best you can do is ask her what the policy was as an MP.

Getting her to a class that she can actually learn from will be a challenge but necessary before she'll listen to the teacher who needs to tell her she's an idiot for it.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    +1: With rare exceptions, even logical women are very strongly influenced by emotional decisionmaking... (not that men aren't but women slightly more so in my experience. My wife is). Your logical arguments, while right, mean jack. The most you can do is approach it as "would you suggest someone else carries w/o a holster?" if she says yes, you're screwed. If she says no, keep pushing by asking why not and why it applies to others but not her.

As her husband, you are an expert in NOTHING that she was an MP and has done it for years further diminishes your credibility. Much like parents telling kids to do something a million times to no avail then a friend saying so once and they do it, you telling her will do little good. The best you can do is ask her what the policy was as an MP.

Getting her to a class that she can actually learn from will be a challenge but necessary before she'll listen to the teacher who needs to tell her she's an idiot for it.

Agree on not listening to family members. If you can get a person she respects telling her that it isn't a good idea would go a lot further. I was an MP for 15 years and I'm still surprised the unit didn't say anything about it. Like it is on there with tons of things we got safety briefs about while I was in. Also agree on the sending her to class. I have not heard of a class that doesn't have pistol on the packing list but no holster.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    +1: With rare exceptions, even logical women are very strongly influenced by emotional decisionmaking... (not that men aren't but women slightly more so in my experience. My wife is). Your logical arguments, while right, mean jack.

Convincing men is about appeals to logic and status. "You know that increases your risk of hurting yourself, and all of your buddies will think you're a dipsh...."

Convincing women is about feelings and partnership/cooperation. "It makes me feel afraid when you carry that way. As a favor to me, would you please consider using a holster? I'm proud of you for carrying to protect us, but it would make me worry less if you'd cover the trigger."

It's not about being an expert. Acknowledge her experience, but make it about peace of mind for you and the family. Then the issue isn't how safe or unsafe the practice is, it's about the feelings it invokes and she's much less likely to argue with you over that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Convincing men is about appeals to logic and status. "You know that increases your risk of hurting yourself, and all of your buddies will think you're a dipsh...."

Convincing women is about feelings and partnership/cooperation. "It makes me feel afraid when you carry that way. As a favor to me, would you please consider using a holster? I'm proud of you for carrying to protect us, but it would make me worry less if you'd cover the trigger."

It's not about being an expert. Acknowledge her experience, but make it about peace of mind for you and the family. Then the issue isn't how safe or unsafe the practice is, it's about the feelings it invokes and she's much less likely to argue with you over that.

What ARE YOU??? WIZARD!!! SORCERER!!!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Well said! I'm guessing this guys been happily married a while. Magician indeed

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why are all of you liberals trying to make someone else do something the way you think it should be done? Results count in the real world. Never been a problem. Just shut up and wait for the chance to say I told you so, or I knew that was going to happen.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why are all of you liberals trying to make someone else do something the way you think it should be done? Results count in the real world. Never been a problem. Just shut up and wait for the chance to say I told you so, or I knew that was going to happen.

*may not apply when you have to pay the deductible for the ER visit.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seems about right.

My partner lost $6800 in Vegas this spring, and not while gambling. His blood pressure bottomed out due to a change in his medication, resulting in an ambulance trip and overnight stay in the ER. High deductible health plan meant he was on the hook for the whole bill.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We do. Unless you need healthcare. Then it's not free.

Funny because true.

My partner lost $6800 in Vegas this spring, and not while gambling. His blood pressure bottomed out due to a change in his medication, resulting in an ambulance trip and overnight stay in the ER. High deductible health plan meant he was on the hook for the whole bill.

That's painful. People say we only need catastrophic health insurance, but for most of us, $6800 qualifies as catastrophic financially.

Some people have deductibles that are $12,000 and up. Their premiums are not cheap either.

Top Bottom