• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here's a question for the frequent fliers: what's your flight v. drive radius now?

There was a time I did a decent amount of flying (pre-9/11) and flying to Chicago and grabbing a cab around was pretty cost effective. More recently, while I don't travel often, because the boarding/deplaning process is so much longer that I'd rather rent a car and drive 5-6 hours than fly. The time spent usually ends up being a wash and I can make calls during the windshield time (helping with the cost-effectiveness).

Curious what the pros think.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Here's a question for the frequent fliers: what's your flight v. drive radius now?

There was a time I did a decent amount of flying (pre-9/11) and flying to Chicago and grabbing a cab around was pretty cost effective. More recently, while I don't travel often, because the boarding/deplaning process is so much longer that I'd rather rent a car and drive 5-6 hours than fly. The time spent usually ends up being a wash and I can make calls during the windshield time (helping with the cost-effectiveness).

There are multiple factors, but ultimately, my drive-vs-fly line is about 2-3 hours for weekly travel, and about 4-5 hours for bi-weekly travel (10-4 travel rotation).

I work 55-60 hours a week (including travel time). When I'm commuting weekly, I don't think it safe to try to drive more than 2-3 hours. If I'm doing a 10-4 travel rotation, the farthest I've driven is about 5 hours.

I can potentially work in the airport/on the plane. I do not take phone calls while driving.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    A woman was arrested in Indy this week for punching a Delta gate agent in the head... after the gate agent told her that the podium she was standing at, was closed.

She said God told her to do it.

Delta should apologize to God.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

For me, it's 5 to 6 hours...Unless there is a direct flight. I have to go to Pittsburgh often and there is nothing direct from Indy, so I always drive.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm a pilot... and I will drive 12-13 hours. It's faster.

I flew out to Oregon last year with one stop in Denver. It was kind of a family emergency and I had to be there right now. I parked the rental car in the hotel parking lot less than 8 hours after I left my house for SDF. If I can be in my hotel room across the country, door-to-door, in less than 8 hours, I'd hope that about any place I could drive in 12-13 hours that has an airport fairly close, would be much less than 8 hours by air, especially if it's a direct flight.

Of course it's much cheaper to drive--filling up the gas tank in my own vehicle a few times + wear and tear, is much cheaper than buying an airline ticket and renting a car. So there's that. I guess I'd say, if it's on my dime and time isn't vital, I'll drive 12-13 hours because it's cheaper. But I'll fly if I absolutely have to get there now, or it's on someone else's dime.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I do a fair amount of business in both NYC and DC and I wouldn't drive to either place on a bet - regardless of potential time savings. Once you arrive, a car is simply a boat anchor. If it's a vehicle you actually care about, even more so

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    13-15 hrs is my limit, if I can drive it straight through without grabbing a hotel I'm driving it.

I flew out to Oregon last year with one stop in Denver. It was kind of a family emergency and I had to be there right now. I parked the rental car in the hotel parking lot less than 8 hours after I left my house for SDF. If I can be in my hotel room across the country, door-to-door, in less than 8 hours, I'd hope that about any place I could drive in 12-13 hours that has an airport fairly close, would be much less than 8 hours by air, especially if it's a direct flight.

Of course it's much cheaper to drive--filling up the gas tank in my own vehicle a few times + wear and tear, is much cheaper than buying an airline ticket and renting a car. So there's that. I guess I'd say, if it's on my dime and time isn't vital, I'll drive 12-13 hours because it's cheaper. But I'll fly if I absolutely have to get there now, or it's on someone else's dime.
    Many of the factors in flight travels are A) fairly "fixed" in time despite your destination (security, waiting at the gate, boarding, etc) & B) highly dependent on departing/arriving airport (if you have to take a shuttle to the rental car place you have to figure in waiting for the shuttle, shuttle-ride, waiting in line at the rental car place behind the 20 other sweaty, irritated travellers that were on your shuttle etc.

Going to Denver instead of Oregon may shave off an hour or so of flight time from your 8 hr figure. I would also say that's about as good as the times can get. Last time a group of us went to Long Island for work they all flew, I drove. I got there much earlier than the rest of the group (I did leave much earlier). Driving myself allows me to better plan for low-traffic times in places like NYC and LI, NY.
    I do a fair amount of business in both NYC and DC and I wouldn't drive to either place on a bet - regardless of potential time savings. Once you arrive, a car is simply a boat anchor. If it's a vehicle you actually care about, even more so

I've driven to Long Island for work several times now. Having done it several times I will continue to do it vs. deal with traffic and rental car BS around the major airports. Sometimes they want to fly us into Newark for work in Long Island because it's cheaper, nevermind the extra hour fighting traffic...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You can fly into Islip (mid Long Island) on SW, connect out of BWI

My business is on Manhattan which is where the car becomes an albatross

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Got this email today, from ol' Oscar Munoz, titled, "Actions Speak Louder Than Words":

Dear Mr. Bennett,

Each flight you take with us represents an important promise we make to you, our customer. It's not simply that we make sure you reach your destination safely and on time, but also that you will be treated with the highest level of service and the deepest sense of dignity and respect.

DYbfudBcD1jXWmX1SZpdMq_wPbvGOJOTPSV1Pb-YMFeUcPfq0WAjf_jBA1Fe0hX4-GhhvX6CvR-5oSLe8uvr8o7MA3Ntpujibuj3b89sMIMrmljH4gC09FSq6FSiIKs=s0-d-e1-ft
    Earlier this month, we broke that trust when a passenger was forcibly removed from one of our planes. We can never say we are sorry enough for what occurred, but we also know meaningful actions will speak louder than words.
    DYbfudBcD1jXWmX1SZpdMq_wPbvGOJOTPSV1Pb-YMFeUcPfq0WAjf_jBA1Fe0hX4-GhhvX6CvR-5oSLe8uvr8o7MA3Ntpujibuj3b89sMIMrmljH4gC09FSq6FSiIKs=s0-d-e1-ft
    For the past several weeks, we have been urgently working to answer two questions: How did this happen, and how can we do our best to ensure this never happens again?
    It happened because our corporate policies were placed ahead of our shared values. Our procedures got in the way of our employees doing what they know is right.
    Fixing that problem starts now with changing how we fly, serve and respect our customers. This is a turning point for all of us here at United – and as CEO, it's my responsibility to make sure that we learn from this experience and redouble our efforts to put our customers at the center of everything we do.
    That’s why we announced that we will no longer ask law enforcement to remove customers from a flight and customers will not be required to give up their seat once on board – except in matters of safety or security.
    We also know that despite our best efforts, when things don’t go the way they should, we need to be there for you to make things right. There are several new ways we’re going to do just that.
    We will increase incentives for voluntary rebooking up to $10,000 and will be eliminating the red tape on permanently lost bags with a new "no-questions-asked" $1,500 reimbursement policy. We will also be rolling out a new app for our employees that will enable them to provide on-the-spot goodwill gestures in the form of miles, travel credit and other amenities when your experience with us misses the mark. You can learn more about these commitments and many other changes at hub.united.com.
    While these actions are important, I have found myself reflecting more broadly on the role we play and the responsibilities we have to you and the communities we serve.
    I believe we must go further in redefining what United's corporate citizenship looks like in our society. You can and ought to expect more from us, and we intend to live up to those higher expectations in the way we embody social responsibility and civic leadership everywhere we operate. I hope you will see that pledge express itself in our actions going forward, of which these initial, though important, changes are merely a first step.
    Our goal should be nothing less than to make you truly proud to say, "I fly United."
    Ultimately, the measure of our success is your satisfaction and the past several weeks have moved us to go further than ever before in elevating your experience with us. I know our 87,000 employees have taken this message to heart, and they are as energized as ever to fulfill our promise to serve you better with each flight and earn the trust you’ve given us.
    We are working harder than ever for the privilege to serve you and I know we will be stronger, better and the customer-focused airline you expect and deserve.
    With Great Gratitude,
    MEvz-QU645jkCKHqQ1RWPgX9_iTlrgnJhkyRl_fG0Z8Mc98ggK9eKs_vKYwZuWntg9gS_luDa2cDFce3oTDKe5SWyGMa081ld7zf7Ws1k32wzcjkkWZfJtnwBIoqQnGJDfctB5pHqDa0wpH5xQgFdZfVWNk-G93rhmJsBU9KUJqjP_fiyQo4l9onGaX95lWt6XGNCQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Oscar Munoz
    CEO
    United Airlines

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Got this email today, from ol' Oscar Munoz, titled, "Actions Speak Louder Than Words":

He did an interview on NPR this morning where he said much the same thing, and he said something to the effect that their policies were out of touch with customer satisfaction.

I think they'd want to have the goal of being as least disruptive as they possibly can. If some event takes them outside the happypath process, the earlier they deal with it, the less disruptive it will be to customers. If they have to bump people, figuring that out as early as possible is better than figuring it out at the last minute.

Top Bottom