• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    There are some right on comments here but IMHO if a person wants to be StreetWise they would not carry ANY plastic hoster on the street. I have seen too many fail. While they may present quicker and cleaner than leather, the compromise is not wort the risk.

Not Plastic, they like to call it 'Polymer'. A more trendy name. :):

I agree but let's take it even further. What about plastic guns? There's a bunch of them out there and a lot of people love them but lets face it. When my life's on the line there's no substitute for a real quality chunk of metal. And real guns deserve a real leather holster. I still cringe when I see a nice 1911 or a P226 crunched into some black hollow shell for it's home.

Tupperware guns? Now they do deserve to be rubbing around with their PVC counterpart made holsters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :)

In all honesty, I haven’t ever handled a serpa. I won’t ever use one because I feel it’s just one more thing I have to remember to do in order to draw my gun. I want it to be as simple as possible. Which is actually one reason why I carry a Glock.

Truth is I am looking at something in leather. I have added several really sweet stainless S&W wheel guns. A couple have some very well made leather holsters. Also have a very nice one for the CZ 97. I am really liking them.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Those of us on this forum in general, and in this sub forum more specifically, and in this thread most specifically have things in common. We have chosen to mitigate risk to ourselves and our loved ones.

The "odds" of ever needing to use a defensive firearm are minuscule. Yet we still take steps to mitigate that risk. We purchase $500 + firearms. We then sometimes dump another $500+ into said firearm to make it more better. Then there's the cost of ammo. A case of 9mm is about $200 shipped to your door. Then there's range costs. Then there's training costs (You do train, right? RIGHT?) Why all this money and time spent? To further mitigate risk in the midst of minuscule odds.

So, since we here are supposed to be in the risk mitigation business, why purchase and use a less-than-stellar holster (Or belt, for that matter)? If there have been more than a few instances of sand stopping a holster from releasing the weapon - it doesn't make much sense to use that holster. If there are parts that sometimes break during rough training, it stands to reason that those parts may also break during a struggle.

Then there's the whole "they're not even really retention holsters" according to the testing that Bill Rogers devised. Look up his testing protocol. A Serpa won't pass that testing. Their attachments points are fragile. They can break by getting caught on a car's B-pillar as you exit. Why own a holster that's so fragile?

If you're serious about carrying a firearm, if you're serious about mitigating your own risk and that of your loved ones, why choose to utilize such a sub-standard platform?

I've seen "it's a training issue!" thrown around. So is learning how to use a Safariland ALS holster.

Carrying a firearm isn't a talisman. It's a tool. Using that analogy, Serpas are the flea-market junk tools.

They may work. May never have any issues. But that one time when you absolutely positively need that tool to work in an emergency roadside repair, are you going to bet on it? I choose not to bet on it.

Because I choose to mitigate my risk.

You summed up my exact feelings on the SERPA than I obviously could at all.

OK. I wake up at 0-Dark-30 and see a member I respect basically calling me stupid. Directly....??? Most likely not but lumps in everyone that owns/uses one.
    Any retention system is prone to issue in the right (wrong) conditions.
    We’re those guys rolling in the sand on the beach...???? You guys are forcing me to do another non-scientific test with none certified pieces in unrealistic conditions with the help of some underqualified assistance.
    I need to put this together. With lab coats and graph paper. Who has a couple of pocket protectors I can borrow. We will have to do this right.

I apologise for offending anyone, I am not really sure what got into me other than the fact I was 100% out of line and being a total asshat. I obviously would never imply you or anyone else on this forum is stupid.

If y'all need help with this SERPA test I would be more than willing to help and break out my lab coat .

Cheeseburgers are most definitely on me next time! Also if you are looking into leather I highly recommend the Milt Sparks 55BN I have one for my Operator and I love it. Only downside is the wait as no one really stocks the 55BN at the dealer level.

Again very sincere apologies all around, carry what y'all want to carry in whatever holster you want (as long as it's not a Hi-Point in an Uncle Mike's holster I hope we can all agree on that. )

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Everyone that I know that is a serious 1911 operator type dude swears by the Milt Sparks 55BN. They are super holsters for sure! Although I never warmed up to the one I test drove. Settled on the Wilson LoProfile for my personal use. I have not tried the LoProfile 2 yet. Overall I prefer the traditional pancake style holster in both leather and Kydex.

If a person is looking for 1911 leather at a budget price, check out 1791 gun leather. I have been very pleased with the BH1? I believe it is called. About $50 and fits well even by my snobbish standards. They are sold locally.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd trust my life to a serpa again
    Most of the people who put them down and just repeat what they hear on the internet have never used one where their life depended on it downrange. These are good holsters. You dont have to like or use one but dont talk out of your ass or call other people dumb, because then I just look at you as a dumb moms basement dweller who thinks hes a tactical operator because he or she can shoot steel or paper or evil watermelons. Uh, your opinion is like a fly that I swat.
    People get in these fan boy modes with certain trainers and they think they are the only show in town. Just because other people arent "trainers" doesnt mean that they havent been there and done that in the same ****ing places and missions as your "heros".
    Also just because some dip **** cant properly use their holster or keep their damn finger off the trigger and they shoot themselves in the leg doesnt mean it's the holsters fault.
    I've used a serpa in 3 countries and it never failed. Never. I do not use a serpa daily now because I do not need the same level of retention but if i did I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I hate evil watermelons. They get what they deserve. :ar15:

iLJsRwz.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd trust my life to a serpa again
    Most of the people who put them down and just repeat what they hear on the internet have never used one where their life depended on it downrange. These are good holsters. You dont have to like or use one but dont talk out of your ass or call other people dumb, because then I just look at you as a dumb moms basement dweller who thinks hes a tactical operator because he or she can shoot steel or paper or evil watermelons. Uh, your opinion is like a fly that I swat.
    People get in these fan boy modes with certain trainers and they think they are the only show in town. Just because other people arent "trainers" doesnt mean that they havent been there and done that in the same ****ing places and missions as your "heros".
    Also just because some dip **** cant properly use their holster or keep their damn finger off the trigger and they shoot themselves in the leg doesnt mean it's the holsters fault.
    I've used a serpa in 3 countries and it never failed. Never. I do not use a serpa daily now because I do not need the same level of retention but if i did I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

I love you man.............:):

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I would never use a Serpa due to peer pressure and ridicule.
    The fact is I often train with members of INGO and they can be a rough bunch.
    Serpa is the issued holster for many units.
    I witnessed hundreds of Soldiers train and use the holster with out issue.
    Trust me if the “Serpa” was dangerous they would find a way to shoot themself or others very quickly.
    Strange that I have never heard of a pistol getting stuck in the holster due to dirt when in actual use.

Have the inter webs created the Serpa styigma ?
    It all began with a dude shooting himself while doing quick draw stuff in 2011!
    Who became quite famous and built a business around shooting himself.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kJ6SU3ycs
    After that super famous you tube clip the conspiracy story on the Serpa spiraled out of control.
    Professional trainers chimed in with an opinion because that’s some of them do regardless of what the issue is.
    Inter webs commenters have harrowing stories of Serpa holsters doing all kinds of mischief.
    All the Serpa ever wanted to do was hold a pistol.

Top Bottom